Class of 2021 - PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA)

Biggest takeaway from the article as far as position is that he views himself as a Durant, Tatum point forward scoring type. He can play on the blocks but needs work there. This is not Rak II.
What also is notable is that he has been impressed by Jerami’s success in the pros. Nice to see that is being used by the staff and could pay dividends.

Biggest takeaway from the article as far as position is that he views himself as a Durant, Tatum point forward scoring type. He can play on the blocks but needs work there. This is not Rak II.
What also is notable is that he has been impressed by Jerami’s success in the pros. Nice to see that is being used by the staff and could pay dividends.
I think that is standard for any big nowadays. All the dudes that are 6'10+ want to shoot 3s and hang out on the perimeter.

Can we recruit big Don at the 5 and let BHH play the 4 for us :) package deal...make it happen JB

I mentioned it in another thread, but it's this type of guy body-wise that Syracuse needs. A big, athletic type of guy that can come in and actually use his size. Besides Q, we don't have anybody on our roster that physically is terrifying. BHH fills that void in a much needed position.

I mentioned it in another thread, but it's this type of guy body-wise that Syracuse needs. A big, athletic type of guy that can come in and actually use his size. Besides Q, we don't have anybody on our roster that physically is terrifying. BHH fills that void in a much needed position.
Yep, look at the guys UNC gets every year. Not all of them are good basketball players. But, their job from day one is to be physical, play defense and use your body to dominate the boards. Even when we have a physical guy down low, the nature of the zone pulls him away from prime rebounding real estate. That leaves the wings to do the rebounding. Q is great at this, but he’s usually out numbered. Alan is a good rebounder too, but when he is going up against bigger and stronger guys, he is naturally going to lose most of those battles.

And Q is only 6-7 and an adequate not an elite jumper

Yep, look at the guys UNC gets every year. Not all of them are good basketball players. But, their job from day one is to be physical, play defense and use your body to dominate the boards. Even when we have a physical guy down low, the nature of the zone pulls him away from prime rebounding real estate. That leaves the wings to do the rebounding. Q is great at this, but he’s usually out numbered. Alan is a good rebounder too, but when he is going up against bigger and stronger guys, he is naturally going to lose most of those battles.

Exactly. You can teach skill. Look at guys like Fab, Rakeem, AO. Rak had the athleticism but Fab and AO were extremely raw when they got to Syracuse. By their final years, they were dominant players that anchored the defense.

To your point on guys on the wings, I think a good chunk of their rebounds come off of long missed shots more than getting into the paint and going up for it. The game has really evolved when it comes to physicality. It feels like paint play is nonexistent now, especially on offense. I think that "I don't want to go to the rim" mentality can translate to defense too, where guys like Griffin aren't mentally nor physically gifted for rebounding. Look at Marek - very small compared to other guys, but doesn't care about getting hit. If you don't have guys like that, you need bigger guys to not be afraid of contact.

Huntley-Hatfield had some positive things to say when I brought up the topic of Jim Boeheim and the Syracuse Orange and asked what it would be like playing at a legendary program:

“Yes they did [get involved late] and I have ever since they first offered and it would be good for me. Being one of the highest recruits to come there could be legendary, but, as well as being able to lead a team I feel like that would be my role there so it’s good. We will see.”

Is this a kid that's going to be like DC or is this a kid that thinks he's KD?

I don't know much about him.

So, they've gotten Joe involved as well? Excellent.
tenor.gif

Reminds me of a mix between Tim Thomas [Villanova] and Chris McCullough.

He's bigger/stronger than Chris, built more like Tim. But similar versatility / athleticism.
Now you are just teasing us.

He’d be a stud here. Perfect fit. Big time talent so won’t be an easy get but definitely have a legit shot
This might be the most important recruit since Pearl. We got a lot of really good players over the next
8 or 9 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom