Class of 2021 - PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA)

This didnt age to well either so far as missing the tournament and we stink.

Strange how you are promoted as a friend of the program with connections to the current staff and you come on a public message board and say we can't recruit because we stink.

And in comparison to Tennessee or most every SEC program we're plenty good enough to compete even in our downward trend, however your defining that term.
I’ll rephrase. Stink compared to what we are used to. Sorry I try to come on here and share reality of some things and people take personal
Offense to it for some reason like they are on the team. Coaches are realer than me when it comes to this stuff too. I don’t wear orange glasses, I try to tell everyone how it is and sorry if that’s not taken well

You guys want the narrative as to why recruits aren’t picking Syracuse and blame everything else like Gmac and all that nonsense. It’s not that. It’s the simple fact that SU has been ok at best since entering the ACC, DONT get players drafted consistently and other coaches are more fun to play for. Kids are living in the moment and want to play for up and coming programs. Don’t understand why this is tough to figure out or why the reality of what I say is so wrong. It’s what’s happening and as much as I support the team, being an awww shucks guy isn’t it and the coaches don’t act that way either.

Last edited:
I’ll rephrase. Stink compared to what we are used to. Sorry I try to come on here and share reality of some things and people take personal
Offense to it for some reason like they are on the team. Coaches are realer than me when it comes to this stuff too. I don’t wear orange glasses, I try to tell everyone how it is and sorry if that’s not taken well

You guys want the narrative as to why recruits aren’t picking Syracuse and blame everything else like Gmac and all that nonsense. It’s not that. It’s the simple fact that SU has been ok at best since entering the ACC, DONT get players drafted consistently and other coaches are more fun to play for. Kids are living in the moment and want to play for up and coming programs. Don’t understand why this is tough to figure out or why the reality of what I say is so wrong. It’s what’s happening and as much as I support the team, being an awww shucks guy isn’t it and the coaches don’t act that way either.
it also seems like Jim Boeheim’s system does not promote many players individual skills. We have had several great players yet the offensive scheme does not seem to favor more than one player at a time. If you go back to 2003, we were able to have several players contribute to the team. That continue for several years but lately in the past 5-6 years there seems to be one main contributor.

Believe that comes from lack of ball movement/distribution and an suspect offensive scheme based on 3 point shooting. Yet the current team can not support an inside game due to injuries and lack of talented big men.

it also seems like Jim Boeheim’s system does not promote many players individual skills. We have had several great players yet the offensive scheme does not seem to favor more than one player at a time. If you go back to 2003, we were able to have several players contribute to the team. That continue for several years but lately in the past 5-6 years there seems to be one main contributor.

Believe that comes from lack of ball movement/distribution and an suspect offensive scheme based on 3 point shooting. Yet the current team can not support an inside game due to injuries and lack of talented big men.
We have 5 guys almost averaging double figures - seems like everyone is contributing

He was higher i believe. This was because he reclassed someone correct me if I'm wrong.
This is correct. As a Class of 2021 he was rated as a four-star prospect, No. 43 prospect in the class of 2021 by ESPN, No. 81 by Rivals.

247Sports had him No. 51 in their rankings, and 247Sports Composite slated him in at No. 60.

Nothing to sneeze at. And he now has a season in the program to watch and practice. He essentially (and perhaps practically) redshirted.

This is correct. As a Class of 2021 he was rated as a four-star prospect, No. 43 prospect in the class of 2021 by ESPN, No. 81 by Rivals.

247Sports had him No. 51 in their rankings, and 247Sports Composite slated him in at No. 60.

Nothing to sneeze at. And he now has a season in the program to watch and practice. He essentially (and perhaps practically) redshirted.
He is a very athletic and talented young man. He is going to be a nice player for us.

Lol do you want to take back your comments. This didn’t age too well today on your behalf
Ahem...

what did you say again about this team stinking and the program being on a downward trajectory? Third sweet 16 in the past 5 tourneys and two Final Fours in the past 8 years. It’s strange that someone who’s supposedly friends with the assistant coaches and others would say crap like that against our program.

Ahem...

what did you say again about this team stinking and the program being on a downward trajectory? Third sweet 16 in the past 5 tourneys and two Final Fours in the past 8 years. It’s strange that someone who’s supposedly friends with the assistant coaches and others would say crap like that against our program.
Yes at the time it was downward and Boeheim even said it himself last night in his press conference so now I’m a bad guy? I said it and so did 5000 other people at the time on here. It’s amazing how soft people are when it comes to opinions. You do understand coaches are just as real as me and this is how we talk to each other right ? It’s called reality. It’s not always participation trophies and fake hoorays. It’s strange you went out of your way to point me out of all people just because I’m friends with coaches. Hope your post made you feel better

Yes at the time it was downward and Boeheim even said it himself last night in his press conference so now I’m a bad guy? I said it and so did 5000 other people at the time on here. It’s amazing how soft people are when it comes to opinions. You do understand coaches are just as real as me and this is how we talk to each other right ? It’s called reality. It’s not always participation trophies and fake hoorays. It’s strange you went out of your way to point me out of all people just because I’m friends with coaches. Hope your post made you feel better

I think it's "soft" the coaches appear to be "managing expectations" and rationalizing the Program's relative downturn, when they basically have every tool they need to be successful. And I think its odd that you parrot those rationalizations (excuses really) as gospel rather than question them the way some other posters do.

I mean sure, looking at the Program through rose colored lenses isn't really productive either, but presenting things like lack of winning and players drafted (both of which have been shown to be false premises - we compare favorably to almost any program not named Duke, Kentucky, or UNC) to pump up programs like Alabama and Tennessee, is "soft." And you act all self-righteous about it to boot.

Having said all of that, I sincerely hope you keep posting what information and perspectives you have. You have "an in" others do not (including yours truly). The more the better for this Board/forum. Just don't be so chagrinned when other posters challenge you about it.

Last edited:
I think it is stunning that we are one of only three programs to reach the sweet 16 3x since just 2016. That isn't the sign of a program in decline. We haven't been what we were, that is true, but we haven't sucked either. In a couple of weeks, we will have a 10 year track record to look at. I think it is going to look pretty good overall. And looking ahead to next year, any team with Buddy and Benny on it, would have to be fun to watch.

I think it is stunning that we are one of only three programs to reach the sweet 16 3x since just 2016. That isn't the sign of a program in decline. We haven't been what we were, that is true, but we haven't sucked either. In a couple of weeks, we will have a 10 year track record to look at. I think it is going to look pretty good overall. And looking ahead to next year, any team with Buddy and Benny on it, would have to be fun to watch.

Interesting observation.

I suppose it comes down to the evaluative criteria / unit of analysis being applied. Postseason has been stronger than regular season performance, for the most part.

This year feels different qualitatively, though. We peaked at the end of the year and were playing well, whereas some of the other times we've backed into the tournament we were playing poorly down the stretch, and we as a fanbase had to cross our fingers about getting into the field.

But as stated above, you raise an interesting point.

To be fair you’re kind of doing exactly what you criticized him of doing.

you called him out for being wrong and the tables turned, so he did it right back.

It’s an unpredictable sport, and while i agree things were not pointing in the right direction at the time, i don’t think there would be any football spiking on his behalf had you not done the same thing already.

Taking it to the main board don’t shame me

Last edited:
Really would be great to get this recruit. I think Frank A will move to PF but could use another good PF.

Jerry Meyer who’s the Director of Basketball Scouting at 247 predicted Tennessee. Still time for that to change though

I won't argue with most of what you said because I don't know if Boeheim is fun to play for, and we have been fairly mediocre recently in the regular season, but the narrative that we don't consistently get players drafted is absolutely false. Going back to the draft after 2003 since the Natty, we had players drafted in the first round in 2003,5,8,9,10,12,13,14,15,16, and 17. Overall we have had 19 players drafted including 12 in the first round since that time. I looked up a pretty complete list of the top programs in college basketball and we show pretty well in terms of both overall and 1st round picks.

School1st round2nd roundtotal since 2003
Kentucky
32​
13​
45​
Duke
27​
11​
38​
Kansas
17​
10​
27​
North Carolina
22​
5​
27​
UCLA
14​
12​
26​
Arizona
13​
9​
22​
Syracuse
12​
7​
19​
Connecticut
12​
7​
19​
Michigan State
7​
8​
15​
Louisville
7​
7​
14​
Michigan
9​
4​
13​
Maryland
4​
9​
13​
Indiana
8​
4​
12​
Ohio State
8​
3​
11​
Villanova
7​
4​
11​
Virginia
3​
8​
11​
Gonzaga
6​
4​
10​
Georgetown
5​
3​
8​
Tennessee
2​
5​
7​
Illinois
4​
2​
6​
Cincinnatti
2​
3​
5​

We obviously can't compete with Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas and UCLA, but we are better than most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom