Class of 2018 - PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler

No, they don't have a Dinosaur, but they do have a Wood 'N Hog BBQ in Champaign. And far worse -- A GOLDEN Wok in Urbana. Yeah, you heard that right. Color me concerned.

Champaign may have a Golden Wok but they do not have a Golden Corral. Syracuse is getting a brand new one, not far for the Syracuse and LeMoyne campuses.

Game, set, match Syracuse.
So what you are saying is when that Golden Corral opens we corral Golden?

The Illini has and did a full court press again for him. Their whole staff stayed for his official visit and skipped all the AAU games Friday.
Wow. Missing Friday of opening AAU weekend for Golden? They want him bad

Well, maybe its very unfortunate he values education so highly

Visits...
Syracuse ✓
Illinois ✓
Georgetown ✓
Butler
Uconn
Wichita State

He still has those last 3 on his list, as far as I can tell. An earlier post indicated he would likely "reduce his list" but I don't see where that's happened. So, unless and until he does, he still has 3 visits to go.

Sigh...

Visits...
Syracuse ✓
Illinois ✓
Georgetown ✓
Butler
Uconn
Wichita State

He still has those last 3 on his list, as far as I can tell. An earlier post indicated he would likely "reduce his list" but I don't see where that's happened. So, unless and until he does, he still has 3 visits to go.

Sigh...
He did reduce his list to 4... dropping UCONN and Wichita st. Butler had an in home visit. Maybe he does a full visit there, but I would think that would be it.

Visits...
Syracuse ✓
Illinois ✓
Georgetown ✓
Butler
Uconn
Wichita State

Sigh...

You only get 5 official visits, so somebody's going to get cut.

You only get 5 official visits, so somebody's going to get cut.

He committed to Pitt previously, so I would assume that he already used an official on them originally. Illinois was his second choice initially, did he also use one the first go around with them or not? Does he get a new set of 5, since he was released?

He committed to Pitt previously, so I would assume that he already used an official on them originally. Illinois was his second choice initially, did he also use one the first go around with them or not? Does he get a new set of 5, since he was released?

I'm not a rules expert, but I don't think so. Maybe that's why Georgetown was just one day - an unofficial visit.

I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be Illinois. Something about their inclusion confuses me and I cannot put my finger on it.

I hope I am wrong. I really think that this team is going to be very good even without Battle. I'd actually go farther and say or needs at forward are more glaring than the need opened up by losing Battle.

Last edited:
autocorrect say what?????
For some reason part of my initial post went away.

I'm not saying he is better than Battle at ALL. I'm saying that the way the team is currently built I feel like have have the pieces to at least fill the minutes, if not the production, at guard. Whereas we are, as presently constructed, in far more of a need position to replace the Bazely minutes at forward.

I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be Illinois. Something about their inclusion confuses me and I cannot put my finger on it.

I hope I am wrong. I really think that this team is going to be very good even without Battle. I'd actually go farther and say or needs at forward are more glaring than the need opened up by losing Battle.
I assume you're saying this because of Hughes. With Battle gone, we have a very obvious 3 guard rotation with Frank, Carey and Hughes; JB seems to prefer to play 3 guards. Had Battle stayed, we would have had 4 which would have forced one of our better players (most likely Hughes) to not play a whole lot, I could not see Battle playing the 3 for extended minutes during ACC play. But with Battle leaving, we have 80 minutes at the G spot to be split between Frank/Carey/Hughes. Then 80 minutes at the 3 and 4 to be occupied by Marek/Brissett/?. With Battle in the fold, he probably would have been forced to play the 3 a lot more than he should have been. But now that he's gone, it makes more sense to replace him with a forward.

I see what you're saying

I assume you're saying this because of Hughes. With Battle gone, we have a very obvious 3 guard rotation with Frank, Carey and Hughes; JB seems to prefer to play 3 guards. Had Battle stayed, we would have had 4 which would have forced one of our better players (most likely Hughes) to not play a whole lot, I could not see Battle playing the 3 for extended minutes during ACC play. But with Battle leaving, we have 80 minutes at the G spot to be split between Frank/Carey/Hughes. Then 80 minutes at the 3 and 4 to be occupied by Marek/Brissett/?. With Battle in the fold, he probably would have been forced to play the 3 a lot more than he should have been. But now that he's gone, it makes more sense to replace him with a forward.

I see what you're saying

correct, and i assume buddy will be getting some minutes too...

Their inclusion is based upon them being one of the original teams he was considering before he chose Pitt.

I see what you're saying
Hughes would have played (with Battle) and will play some forward for us. That seems almost like a guarantee at this point. I would imagine JB is more comfortable with a kid who has been in the system playing meaningful forward minutes over Golden, Braswell, whoever else we can add at this point. Hasn't Hughes been practicing with the forwards since coming here?

If Battle had returned (or I suppose if he still changes his mind and does return), it'd be a 3-3.5 guard rotation with Hughes sliding back and forth.
- Frank 30
- Tyus 32
- Carey 20
- Hughes 25
- Brissett 32
- Marek 25-30

Buddy may wedge his way in this season, as well.

Hughes would have played (with Battle) and will play some forward for us. That seems almost like a guarantee at this point. I would imagine JB is more comfortable with a kid who has been in the system playing meaningful forward minutes over Golden, Braswell, whoever else we can add at this point. Hasn't Hughes been practicing with the forwards since coming here?

If Battle had returned (or I suppose if he still changes his mind and does return), it'd be a 3-3.5 guard rotation with Hughes sliding back and forth.
- Frank 30
- Tyus 32
- Carey 20
- Hughes 25
- Brissett 32
- Marek 25-30

Buddy may wedge his way in this season, as well.
What about the forgotten man, Howard Washington?

What about the forgotten man, Howard Washington?

Not sure when he'll be ready to play after his ACL surgery. Could be a possible redshirt candidate with more guard depth.

We've got a limited roster as it is right now with Battle gone. I don't think we can afford to redshirt anyone.

He's going to be a redshirt. He didn't have surgery until late in the season and hasn't been cleared for contact yet. Going to have to be eased back into basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom