Class of 2019 - PF/C Dimon Carrigan (MA/JUCO) to FIU then WVU | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF/C Dimon Carrigan (MA/JUCO) to FIU then WVU

The issue i see with Dimon is he is only 6'9, Roberts is now 6'11 and still growing.
Big, Big, Big difference
One of the problems with the zone has been we have been playing forwards (size and skill sets) at the center position.
Remains to be seen, but my gut says whomever commits 1st is getting the slot and my brain says if you have to choose between the two recruiters, you go Red.

Point was simple. The weather will rarely ever be a great selling point for us against another school. and as a guy who has lived in Georgia for 3 years after moving from Massachusetts i personally never want to live up north again.

I agree with their being major inequity between the programs and their fanbases, but if we are selling syracuse vs. Atlanta i dont know that we fair well in that battle with many recruits.
Round about every January - February I agree with you, Funke. It seems like there's a solar eclipse for about 2 months. At any rate, we're not just selling the weather, as you point out.

Roberts isn't a shot blocker he's built more like TT without the same offensive skills (atm). Carrigan is an elite shot blocker in HS who displays timing and positioning to play C.

Anyone know their wingspans? Rak was "only" 6'9" but his wingspan was like 7'5" iirc. My point is there are more things than just raw height that makes someone a good C in the Zone.

Roberts isn't a shot blocker he's built more like TT without the same offensive skills (atm). Carrigan is an elite shot blocker in HS who displays timing and positioning to play C.

Anyone know their wingspans? Rak was "only" 6'9" but his wingspan was like 7'5" iirc. My point is there are more things than just raw height that makes someone a good C in the Zone.
Good points, and Francis likes Dimon at center as well.

GREAT school. Big city. Good young coach.
College in Atlanta or Syracuse. Mmmm.

I get why kids would think this and I'm also quick to trash upstate NY -- not because I don't love it but because I don't think people there realize how much people outside the area think of it as literally the end of the world. Well, that and it drives me crazy when I go up on a july 4 weekend like a couple years ago and it's 62 and spitting rain.

But I digress, what I will say is that I can't stand atlanta. I'm not knocking it for people who live there -- I'm sure there are really nice aspects and you can carve out a nice life like you can anywhere, but for me in terms of visiting a place and thinking 'how cool would it be to live here for a while' Atlanta is at the bottom of my list with places like Jacksonville and Houston and Vegas (fun weekend every few 1o years or so but living there for more than a couple of days sounds like hell on earth to me).

Of course, I'm not 17 and a big-time hoops recruit, so I guess that explains it.

The issue i see with Dimon is he is only 6'9, Roberts is now 6'11 and still growing.
Big, Big, Big difference
One of the problems with the zone has been we have been playing forwards (size and skill sets) at the center position.
Remains to be seen, but my gut says whomever commits 1st is getting the slot and my brain says if you have to choose between the two recruiters, you go Red.

I think it's more important how big you play as opposed to how tall you are. Carrigan seems like a guy who likes mixing it up, protecting the rim and is aggressive defensively. Roberts from what I gather is more of a project face up/stretch big.

If JB is going to double down on the zone with the types of kids he brings in then I think Carrigan is a great fit because he could help give us a piece to really protect the middle for the next few years which will allow us more flexibility in how we defend the perimeter.

According to these links, Carrigan's wingspan is nearly 86 inches. Roberts' wingspan is 81. Both are from a while ago and both probably have longer wing spans now...

2016 ESPNBoston MIAA All-State Boys Basketball Team

Carrigan's block totals speak for themselves -- especially in the playoffs, where he had an astounding 41 swats in five games, including a career-high 12 in the Falcons' Eastern Mass. Final win over Catholic Memorial at TD Garden. With his fleet-footed 6-foot-8 frame and a nearly 7-foot-2 wingspan, "D.C." altered many a shot for teams this postseason as the Falcons made history with their first state title since 2001.

Nathan Roberts Basketball Recruiting Profile

According to these links, Carrigan's wingspan is nearly 86 inches. Roberts' wingspan is 81. Both are from a while ago and both probably have longer wing spans now...

2016 ESPNBoston MIAA All-State Boys Basketball Team

Carrigan's block totals speak for themselves -- especially in the playoffs, where he had an astounding 41 swats in five games, including a career-high 12 in the Falcons' Eastern Mass. Final win over Catholic Memorial at TD Garden. With his fleet-footed 6-foot-8 frame and a nearly 7-foot-2 wingspan, "D.C." altered many a shot for teams this postseason as the Falcons made history with their first state title since 2001.

Nathan Roberts Basketball Recruiting Profile
Someone please send his mom flowers and chocolates from Otto

Someone please send his mom flowers and chocolates from Otto
Otto.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality, rush job.
Edit: uh oh, nobody picking up what I'm throwing down?

Last edited:
I think it's more important how big you play as opposed to how tall you are. Carrigan seems like a guy who likes mixing it up, protecting the rim and is aggressive defensively. Roberts from what I gather is more of a project face up/stretch big.

If JB is going to double down on the zone with the types of kids he brings in then I think Carrigan is a great fit because he could help give us a piece to really protect the middle for the next few years which will allow us more flexibility in how we defend the perimeter.
I saw that, but I think they eliminated seating. So it's not even 9,000. And the program's struggled to achieve success in almost all of its nearly 40 years in the conference, save 1 or 2 seasons where it's gone .500 or barely had a winning record. However the academics are solid -- there's some excellent research going on, in the material sciences, defense and other areas. That's a good thing, but how much it matters to recruits is unclear.

Last edited:
We need to get this guy in for a visit. He has visits scheduled with UConn and Houston in September. Clemson is listed as a leader in his recruitment. Those three schools are not in the same class as Syracuse. Let's reel him in. Perfect fit for the back of the zone.

View attachment 106142
I apologize for the poor quality, rush job.
Edit: uh oh, nobody picking up what I'm throwing down?

Stem In A Box

To all the mascots out there with recruits to impress
It's easy to do, just follow these steps:
1 - cut a hole in a box
2 - put your stem in that box
3 - make him open that box
And that's the way you do it.

Shot blocking is so much more about instincts & timing than raw height. Our best ever, the great Etan Thomas, was just over 6'9". If we're playing zone for the foreseeable future, then I'd much prefer Carrigan.

It's not the length that matters, it's what you do with it.

Shot blocking is so much more about instincts & timing than raw height. Our best ever, the great Etan Thomas, was just over 6'9". If we're playing zone for the foreseeable future, then I'd much prefer Carrigan.

It's not the length that matters, it's what you do with it.
Agreed. And length or wing span is the key measurement, rather than height. Height can help with the intimidation factor and blocking sight lines but you don't block shots with your head.

You sound like someone who has actually played basketball at a high level. Being 6'11 is worthless is you're not aggressive, coordinated, motivated, or athletic. Look at Sean Williams. Give me a 6'9 Rakeem Christmas or 6'9 Arinze Onuaku or 6'8 Jeremy McNeil over a 6'11 Sean Williams any day of the week.

Big, Big, Big difference
The issue I see with Dimon is his timetable compared to Roberts. I think if Roberts moves faster and wants to come here we probably take him and move forward. Too bad as Dimon is an amazing shot blocker. I would also add Etan Thomas was 6'9" and probably the best guy we have ever had in defense in the middle.

The issue I see with Dimon is his timetable compared to Roberts. I think if Roberts moves faster and wants to come here we probably take him and move forward. Too bad as Dimon is an amazing shot blocker. I would also add Etan Thomas was 6'9" and probably the best guy we have ever had in defense in the middle.
And Jeremy McNeil was only 6'8, iirc. I never had more confidence in a player in a 1 on 2 or 3. You just knew he was going to get the swat.

Mr. Bowie says " what?" ;)

I never had more confidence in someone racking up 5 fouls in 10 minutes ;)
We don't win the NC without McNeil in 20o3. We lose to Oklahoma State in the Second Round.
He played 32 minutes that afternoon, allowed SUto speed up the game, and win going away. But SU trailed by 17 in first half.
McNeil was the rim protector and game-changer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom