Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy talk here...but is losing Bazley sort of a blessing in disguise? Long term for the program having these 2 guys is way more valuable than having a one and done (unless Baz ended up being a Carmelo and we win it all next year).
Your right that is crazy talk.

Any reason we would not want him? Guess the only question is if he’s good enough?
Might take us out of the running for a 2019 guy or two

Simple -- as long as other corpses in the graveyard are able to enroll in the courses, then there's no violation.

Didn't UNC teach you anything?
No.

But, I mean...

I would hope not. As promising as his film is, the guys we are chasing in 2019 should not be scared away by a Lafayette decommit. Osun/Braswell plus a deep class in 2019 would be just what the doctor ordered for Cuse hoops as this point.

It would be a really nice rebound to go from losing Bazely and having Golden choose Butler, to landing Braswell and Osun. Both may be project players BUT they've got time to develop with 4 or 5 starters returning from last year's team depending on Battle. They both look to be under the radar, late blooming guys who are long and athletic, and in the SU mold. Since we can't undo losing Bazely, this is about as good as it gets if we can pull it off.
Golden selected Butler and guess who else. Khalid Battle just announced Butler as his choice

Now we go up against the Butlers of the world in addition to the blue bloods. Something is not right

I agree. We should be OK at forward with only one new recruit. I am assuming Hughes could swing over to SF, that would give us the potential of 4 forwards. Not sure of the ratings of these late recruits but if they're 3* types I wouldn't be that excited. Buddy is another 3*.

If Duke & Kentucky can continue to get 5-star kids to come when they already have 5-star kids, why would a 3-star recruit at Center or Forward scare away a 5 or 4 star from coming?

This continues to baffle me. Why can't we have any depth? Why do other programs have it and why can they continue to do it?

Last edited:
Golden selected Butler and guess who else. Khalid Battle just announced Butler as his choice

Now we go up against the Butlers of the world in addition to the blue bloods. Something is not right
I agree with your concern in general 100 percent, but these two specific cases don't concern me. We were very late to the the Golden race and I'm guessing he wanted immediate playing time. Although not having K. Battle is disappointing, he probably didn't want to always be compared to Tyus and didn't want to follow in his brother's footsteps. What were the feelings when Onuaku's brother picked Lousiville? (Genuinely asking, I didn't follow the board much back then, but I don't remember hearing too much stink about it). Back to keeping on topic, I think Osun would be a good get for us.

What's not right is that: a) Butler had a history with Golden; and b) SU and Butler are not on the same recruiting plane. Recruits on Golden's level are looking to start or get lots of minutes at Butler ... as opposed to SU where they will come in as backups/development players.

Last edited:
What's not right is that: a) Butler had a history with Golden; and b) SU and Butler are not on the same recruiting plane. Recruits on Golden's level are looking to start or get lots of minutes at Butler ... as opposed to SU where they will come in as backups/development players.

Good post. Also we weren't on Battle all that hard as I understand it so it's not like we lost out on a number one priority kid. Just because we offer doesn't mean we immediately are throwing our whole weight into everyone of those kids. Very glad for the kid and hope he does well. Now let's hit a home run this week and go 2 for 2. The additional depth this upcoming year and going forward these kids can add would be huge. Also relieves some of the pressure on having to snag a 6 person class in 2019.

If Duke & Kentucky can continue to get 5-star kids to come when they already have 5-star kids, why would a 3-star recruit at C or scare away a 5 or 4 star from coming?

This continues to baffle me. Why can't we have any depth? Why do other programs have it and why can they continue to do it?
We can. We just might lose our preferred 2019 recruits is all.

osun and bras are exactly the type of players we need to be the backbone of our roster. both should be good enough in a year or so to be at least rotational players and maybe even starters. both should be three or four year players.

neither should scare away any higher rated kid that we may be chasing.

having two or three guys like this on the roster would go a long ways towards reducing our usual dramas if we miss on a recruit or lose somebody to the g league, academics, transfer, etc.

we already have buddy and hw for that role in the backcourt, need two or three of those types upfront.

This confuses me a little. Although I get players wanting opportunity and playing time, why would 4 or 5 star elite recruits feel intimated or swayed away by 3 star recruits taking over for them, unless they are afraid they will improve that much in one year or the 3 star recruits are vastly underrated. I think of it as the other way around, the 3 star recruits being concerned about getting recruited over the next year. You don't have to name any specific names, but can you elaborate a little more on why this is could be the case?

Why do all of these other programs get their preferred guys then? I just don't get it.

I mean -- I understand Boeheim plays 8 or so... but that shouldn't effect the Top 25 kids. They're going to play anyway.

Makes no sense.

If Duke & Kentucky can continue to get 5-star kids to come when they already have 5-star kids, why would a 3-star recruit at Center or Forward scare away a 5 or 4 star from coming?

Because we have a hof coach with a reputation for not developing players, playing a star system, not using a consistent rotation, a win now approach, etc... yes I agree Coach K does the same but he doesn’t have the rep for it for whatever reason.

I wonder how losing that entire class of Buss, BJ, Joseph, etc has been perceived on the recruiting trail. If I had a kid who was a borderlin tier 1 or 2 player I’m not sure I would send him to Syracuse to develop if he had any aspirations of actually playing in games.

My understanding is that Bazley and Brissett didn't exactly hit it off.

Wouldn’t have harmed on court chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.