Class of 2018 - PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ...

Nice VM at beginning, followed by Naz Reid posterizing the civilized world...

Good read on him...talks about him having good games against some top competition...also he shot 45% FROM 3 last summer!! A big that can shoot!!! ;)
Also this was just before it was announced that we offered (maybe he knew he already got offered?) But mentions us as one of the top 4 schools he's looking into right now

Man getting this guy would be huge especially considering the potential long term injury concerns with Bourama/Paschal. He may be better than those guys straight up anyways next season. Dean’s high on him too so that’s cool in my book.

I think the answers to the bottom two bullet points are yes and yes,regardless of the answers to the first two questions. I don't know about Chukwu but he is 23, I believe. Though it is very fair to question Sidibe's health, I think the strong hope is that surgery will solve the current issue. However, Bourama clearly needs to strengthen his legs post-surgery.

He wasn't unknown to the staff. He played with Jalen all summer. I think the staff was confident in our two bigs for next year, then Bourama got hurt.

Chuck is not going anywhere according to my sources, he did hurt his leg a few days ago in practice, team is banged up

A center who can score down low and bet if we ran pick & roll with him, our guards would actually throw it to him since he can finish. Sign me up!
And how about the jump hook from a post player...what a novel idea. Would love to see him develop one for the left hand too because that right handed shot while turning to the left will not work. Oh how I long for another Arinze!!

Chukwu started limping on the left knee a few games ago. (I think it was Duke game, may have been UNC, I forget). It was not hurt in practice a few days ago. For the record.

Chukwu started limping on the left knee a few games ago. (I think it was Duke game, may have been UNC, I forget). It was not hurt in practice a few days ago. For the record.

He must have invented that under and up move since we never get to see that from our current players. Can't imagine it would be anything the staff would want to coach.

He must have invented that under and up move since we never get to see that from our current players. Can't imagine it would be anything the staff would want to coach.

What does this have to do with my post?

My comparison is Chris Silva. High praise since Silva is really good at South Carolina but very similar games as high as school seniors. I watched Silva a lot at Roselle Catholic.

iommi thank you for posting the vids!

Very encouraging development. I love it when recruits come "out of nowhere" this time of year.

This guy seems like a decent enough prospect to take a chance on...big, strong kid who is described as willing to do dirty work...yet he seems to have decent scoring acumen already (can shoot the 3) as a high school big man, which is good. Also plays top competition. Putting up some nice numbers lately (24 & 11 one game, 27 points another).

Good job by staff being patient & holding scholarships in case situation like this occurs.

So, if everyone stays next year (unlikely, but conservative), SU would use 11 of 13 scholarships (Buddy not counted) without Manuel. With him, 12 of 13.

Meaning we still have 1 scholarship available (likely 2 if Battle leaves) to hold onto in case a good transfer prospect becomes available.

If possible, I would like to see SU take on more transfers, like they have done more recently (Wes, Chukwu, Hughes) - long as they see potential in the kid. It's a great way to use a scholarship in a way that is like "investing for the future."

And, if no regular transfer candidates become available, then look into a grad transfer to add in an area of need.

Lock him up!

I'd love to hear from someone who's seen him play recently. From his videos it looks line he needs to work on his foot speed and lower body strength, both are important to the zone. He projects as a 5 right now, that said I also didn't see much in the way of rim protection in any videos yet, albeit a small sample size, but maybe someone can shed some more light on this/him? I'm thinking some of this may changed since last the staff saw him play hence the offer

Very encouraging development. I love it when recruits come "out of nowhere" this time of year.

This guy seems like a decent enough prospect to take a chance on...big, strong kid who is described as willing to do dirty work...yet he seems to have decent scoring acumen already (can shoot the 3) as a high school big man, which is good. Also plays top competition. Putting up some nice numbers lately (24 & 11 one game, 27 points another).

Good job by staff being patient & holding scholarships in case situation like this occurs.

So, if everyone stays next year (unlikely, but conservative), SU would use 11 of 13 scholarships (Buddy not counted) without Manuel. With him, 12 of 13.

Meaning we still have 1 scholarship available (likely 2 if Battle leaves) to hold onto in case a good transfer prospect becomes available.

If possible, I would like to see SU take on more transfers, like they have done more recently (Wes, Chukwu, Hughes) - long as they see potential in the kid. It's a great way to use a scholarship in a way that is like "investing for the future."

And, if no regular transfer candidates become available, then look into a grad transfer to add in an area of need.

Lock him up!
18-19 is our final season with scholarship sanctions. We only have 12 available

I might be misremembering but isn’t that when he hurt his lower back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom