Class of 2018 - PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ...

Was really hoping he'd come in and sit for a year and be ready to either be 1A or 1B at the 5 in 2019 depending on the health of Sidibe's knee. Whatever, I'm sure we'll be fine at that position by then.

Agree with Iommi above--oh well. I'm sure that our coaching staff will be scouring the international ranks to see if they can mine a quality big. Otherwise, they'll pocket it for the class of 2019.

Next.
I agree this will very very likely be the final outcome.
That said, this is Seton Hall, and if I am JAB, and I truly like this kid's potential, I call him up after our March run in complete. Fom everything I understand, Willard tampered with TT, right?
So, ... call with a clean conscious. He (Willard) set the rules, so let's play ball.

Complete scrap the staff's lackadaisical approach on recruiting by not getting this kid to Syracuse on a visit.

I don't know if I'd categorize it as "lackadaisical" -- we got involved late, and still made the kid's final 2. Sounds like we made quite a big push.
No excuse on not getting him to visit in last 2 months.

You're right..the staff isn't busy at all..what the hell have they been doing these last 2 months? And can jim stop wasting his time with all these radio shows?? What's the point? It's not like we're in some type of tournament or something..they should be recruiting 24/7, even in Omaha

Are we back to Majur Majak?

Hopefully someone with some skills becomes available on the grad transfer list. If the potential of an upside is lacking on a high school recruit I’d prefer experience instead and we rent them for a year...not 4.

Combined they are not half the player oshae is and will be

Are we back to Majur Majak?

Hopefully someone with some skills becomes available on the grad transfer list. If the potential of an upside is lacking on a high school recruit I’d prefer experience instead and we rent them for a year...not 4.

Tough to get a grad transfer Big with no guaranteed immediate minutes. Need a guy with at least 2 or 3 years of eligibility so they can sit out Chukwu's senior year and be ready to go with Sidibe in 2019.

No excuse on not getting him to visit in last 2 months.

Right. "Excuses."

This kid tweeted that he was close to committing back in January. We got involved, and he delayed for two months, and we made his final two.

Maybe he couldn't get on campus for a visit due to his HS basketball schedule. Maybe the weekends he was available, we were on the road -- who knows. Those aren't "excuses" or evidence of the "lackadaisical" staff being asleep at the wheel as you're implying. If we weren't actively recruiting this kid -- HARD -- we wouldn't have been in the running at all.

Didn’t make himself available. It’s not always our fault...

If that's true, it just reinforces that the coaches aren't always derelict in their duties. Lots of moving parts behind the scenes.

Rather see us go with a grad transfer. There’s nothing of any quality left on the high school scene, and we really need someone who can play next year.

Sidibe’s health is key. But I’m still not sold on Chukwu as a starter. Sure, we made the Sweet 16 with him, but he’s also a big reason why we lost 13 games and barely made the tourney. He’ll still be a liability next year.

I was hopeful Manuel coukd give us some offense at the 5 next year if Sidibe is sidelined again.

Complete scrap the staff's lackadaisical approach on recruiting by not getting this kid to Syracuse on a visit.
Relax you act like this recruit was a matter of life or death for us. We'll be fine and trust in the staff. I think they have done a pretty damn decent job with next year's recruiting class.

Relax you act like this recruit was a matter of life or death for us. We'll be fine and trust in the staff. I think they have done a pretty damn decent job with next year's recruiting class.

I never saw anywhere where we actually offered Manuel. Am I mistaken? I knowhe listed us in his top four but even Zag's story says nada about Syracuse being involved.

(Rutgers, Rhode Island, New Mexico, Illinois and Butler were among the other schools recruiting him.)

No exactly and A-list of schools unless you want to make a case for Butler.

Must have met Taurean's Mom.
Kind of surprised that Manuel left Seton Hall after the late recruitment. Thought that we lost him to Seton Hall because of the location/weather vice Syracuse. Thought that Seton Hall was closer to his home. Now I am not sure. He must have thought that the PF/C numbers at Seton Hall were more than he thought and probably questioned the amount of playing time he would get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom