Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
He only averaged 19 minutes a game at Michigan State his freshman year. Izzo kept him on the bench, because wanted him to stick around for another year, but he was too good and got drafted first round anyway.

If you think IS is going to think twice about Izzo and MSU because of playing time had by Randolph and Myles Bridges that’s fine and do continue thinking that.

BTW is that the same logic Boeheim used when he played Dion Waiters 24 mpg in 2012 or was that different because of reasons that I’m sure have nothing to do with being a homer?

If you think IS is going to think twice about Izzo and MSU because of playing time had by Randolph and Myles Bridges that’s fine and do continue thinking that.

BTW is that the same logic Boeheim used when he played Dion Waiters 24 mpg in 2012 or was that different because of reasons that I’m sure have nothing to do with being a homer?

No, not necessarily something he is going to think about, but I know I certainly would think about it if I was weighing my options as would many others. Dion Waiters is no where near as highly rated of a player as Stewart, so your comparison makes no sense as it is not even apples to apples. Stewart is a top 5 future MC D, and Waiters was ranked top 30's-50's and was not even a Mc D AA. Using someone like Carmelo, who played at least 35 minutes, would be a better comparison.

Again, Izzo has a tendency to not play his superstar freshman a lot of minutes, i.e. Zach Randolph - 19, Jaren Jackson-21.8, Kelvin Torbert-25, Shannon Brown-22.9, Draymond Green-11.4, Chris Allen-19, Keith Appling-22.9, Brandon Dawson-20, Marquise Gray-13, because he does not want to lose them to defection. That is a fact, and that is definitely something Stewart should think about if he wants a lot of exposure, and I think most would agree. Izzo doesn't get a lot of McD aa's, but when he does, he limits them their freshman year.

While it didn’t work out, as I recall Duncan was a late addition and pretty highly regarded.
If I am remembering correctly that is probably the best class we have ever had in terms of rankings:

Coleman - I believe he was #2
Thompson - I believe he was top 10 or top15
Duncan - I believe he was top 20 to 25
Hughes - I believe he was top 50
Roe - unranked

I do not believe we have ever had 4 Top 50s including 3 Top 25s and a Top 2 in any other single class.

Of course, how it ended up was a bit different. Coleman and Thompson were Cuse megastars. Duncan could not beat out some kid named Douglas and ended up transferring. Hughes also transferred, I do not remember why. Ditto for Roe who blossomed elsewhere, I think because of PT.

If I am remembering correctly that is probably the best class we have ever had in terms of rankings:

Roe - unranked

I do not believe we have ever had 4 Top 50s including 3 Top 25s and a Top 2 in any other single class.

Of course, how it ended up was a bit different. Coleman and Thompson were Cuse megastars. Duncan could not beat out some kid named Douglas and ended up transferring. Hughes also transferred, I do not remember why. Ditto for Roe who blossomed elsewhere, I think because of PT.

It’s weird for me to think of Roe as a transfer because he was here 3 years and a 2 year starter. I often forget that he transferred out for his last year.

In terms of actual production, the Warrick class was strong...Warrick and Forth were pretty much 4 year starters, Warrick was an AA, Pace was a 4 year contributor and 2 year starter. Edelin was in and out but was a very key player while in. That class made up 4/8 of our championship team in terms of who played. Konecny was the only one who we got nothing out of. Not sure we’ve had a better overall class as far as having 4 key players in one class?

Now this is a HOT TAKE.

I’m sure Draymond “fourth team parade all American” Green will be flattered to know that you consider him a “Superstar Freshman.”

Comparing their high school rankings seems like bringing up an arbitrary data point (unless you’re just being a homer). You said yourself that Izzo kept Randolph on the bench to keep him around longer. Everyone knew going into the 2012 season that Waiters was a likely first round pick. Seems like the Zach Randolph logic would apply there as well.

I’m honestly really enjoying this take that college coaches at the highest level sabatoge the college careers of their marquis players in the hopes of keeping them around for another year. Like I’m sure Tom Izzo didn’t care about winning back to back national titles.

Draymond Green was a 4-star recruit who was one of Michigan States highest ever rated recruits during the Izzo era. Like I said, Izzo hasn't gotten many McD aa's, but the ones he does, they don't get a ton of minutes. That's a lot of players above who were highly ranked, and the trend is he just doesn't play them. Those are facts. Izzo gets his players to stay 3-4 years and part of it is because they don't play a lot as freshman or even sophmores.

Also, Waiters is the only player in history that you can use as an example who may not have played a lot of minutes and deserved to, but we also went 25-0 using Boeheim's strategy that particular year. It's the only year in history we were so deep that we played 10 players consistently. Waiters may not have started, but he was on the floor at the end of games. He also played an average of 24 minutes per game which is still 5 more minutes than the Mc D AA's at MSU.

Hopes are raised. What else can I do? Sit here and temper them w/a time released analgesic so I'm not pissed off if he bypasses us. No way. I want this guy and if we get him, it wil be a stunning turnaround. JG3 is perhaps the key - and of course the coaching staff. But JG3 might be the tipping point.

Guys I love what JG3 doin here, but let’s not forget Buddy, he is the glue, we end up with IS and the 2 other Rocks for the following year, we might be looking at a future HC in the making at SU, at a min will get grad asst position if he so chooses, Gmac probably hireed him already

Guys I love what JG3 doin here, but let’s not forget Buddy, he is the glue, we end up with IS and the 2 other Rocks for the following year, we might be looking at a future HC in the making at SU, at a min will get grad asst position if he so chooses, Gmac probably hireed him already
HCIW Buddy Boeheim

Draymond Green was a 4-star recruit who was one of Michigan States highest ever rated recruits during the Izzo era. Like I said, Izzo hasn't gotten many McD aa's, but the ones he does, they don't get a ton of minutes. That's a lot of players above who were highly ranked, and the trend is he just doesn't play them. Those are facts. Izzo gets his players to stay 3-4 years and part of it is because they don't play a lot as freshman or even sophmores.

Also, Waiters is the only player in history that you can use as an example who may not have played a lot of minutes and deserved to, but we also went 25-0 using Boeheim's strategy that particular year. It's the only year in history we were so deep that we played 10 players consistently. Waiters may not have started, but he was on the floor at the end of games. He also played an average of 24 minutes per game which is still 5 more minutes than the Mc D AA's at MSU.
Umm
Hofceluck? Care to respond?

No, not necessarily something he is going to think about, but I know I certainly would think about it if I was weighing my options as would many others. Dion Waiters is no where near as highly rated of a player as Stewart, so your comparison makes no sense as it is not even apples to apples. Stewart is a top 5 future MC D, and Waiters was ranked top 30's-50's and was not even a Mc D AA. Using someone like Carmelo, who played at least 35 minutes, would be a better comparison.

Again, Izzo has a tendency to not play his superstar freshman a lot of minutes, i.e. Zach Randolph - 19, Jaren Jackson-21.8, Kelvin Torbert-25, Shannon Brown-22.9, Draymond Green-11.4, Chris Allen-19, Keith Appling-22.9, Brandon Dawson-20, Marquise Gray-13, because he does not want to lose them to defection. That is a fact, and that is definitely something Stewart should think about if he wants a lot of exposure, and I think most would agree. Izzo doesn't get a lot of McD aa's, but when he does, he limits them their freshman year.

Waiters was a top 20 guy coming outta high school. Izzo leading JB 15-9 in McDonald’s AA’s commitments since he got to MSU in 1995(Gets more then ‘Cuse?).

Best guess on Stewart is If he’s coming he will sign at the early signing period. If not he’s probably waiting for Duke and UK to figure stuff out and our chances get really slim.

Attachments

• 58738033-2EA8-4E04-91B7-F012515DDDBC.png
    58738033-2EA8-4E04-91B7-F012515DDDBC.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
It’s weird for me to think of Roe as a transfer because he was here 3 years and a 2 year starter. I often forget that he transferred out for his last year.

In terms of actual production, the Warrick class was strong...Warrick and Forth were pretty much 4 year starters, Warrick was an AA, Pace was a 4 year contributor and 2 year starter. Edelin was in and out but was a very key player while in. That class made up 4/8 of our championship team in terms of who played. Konecny was the only one who we got nothing out of. Not sure we’ve had a better overall class as far as having 4 key players in one class?
I think the Donte Green class was collectively the highest rated. Not positive.

Waiters was a top 20 guy coming outta high school. Izzo leading JB 15-9 in McDonald’s AA’s commitments since he got to MSU in 1995(Gets more then ‘Cuse?).

Best guess on Stewart is If he’s coming he will sign at the early signing period. If not he’s probably waiting for Duke and UK to figure stuff out and our chances get really slim.
Waiters was #29 on Rivals, #15 on ESPN, #23 on Draft Express, and #21 on 247. Still isn't top 5 which was the comparison being made with regards to Stewart. Yes, KCSU, East Lansing is a hole and really oppressive. Let's hope Stewart views it the same way...can't see how he doesn't.

Waiters was #29 on Rivals, #15 on ESPN, #23 on Draft Express, and #21 on . Still isn't top 5 which was the comparison being made with regards to Stewart. Yes, KCSU, East Lansing is a hole and really oppressive. Let's hope Stewart views it the same way...can't see how he doesn't.
What makes it oppressive?

East Lansing is a hole. It is really depressing

It’s not THAT bad, lol. There’s a lot of good food in Lansing actually. It’s not Youngstown or Flint. THOSE places are miserable.

Roe - unranked

The Donte Green class, I think, 1 top 10, 1 top 20. And 2 top 50

What makes it oppressive?

It was already established a couple posts back. Look at this clip from a documentary about East Lansing and you'll finally get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.