Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it comes down to us, Michigan St, and Washington, but Carey going to Michigan St would help out big time!

My source on this thinks he’s going to end up at UW, with his top three being UW, MSU, and Duke. Stewart LOVES Hopkins (honestly who wouldn’t). Being the hometown school still isn’t working in our favor, and there are concerns on how he would fit in our offense. His visit to Syracuse went well as many have claimed, but apparently didn’t stand out enough to leap us over the other schools, as his other visits have also gone well, especially UW. Hopefully something changes but not looking good.

My source on this thinks he’s going to end up at UW, with his top three being UW, MSU, and Duke. Stewart LOVES Hopkins (honestly who wouldn’t). Being the hometown school still isn’t working in our favor, and there are concerns on how he would fit in our offense. His visit to Syracuse went well as many have claimed, but apparently didn’t stand out enough to leap us over the other schools, as his other visits have also gone well, especially UW. Hopefully something changes but not looking good.

Thanks for sharing! Can you elaborate more if possible about “fit in the offense?” Are there concerns about how he will be utilized? Not liking how raw the current bigs are? Scheme?

Last edited:
If he comes here he is the offense and I don’t think he goes to Washington at all imo.

Thanks for sharing? Can you elaborate more if possible about “fit in the offense?” Are there concerns about how he will be utilized? Not liking how raw the current bigs are? Scheme?
Some of this is what I’ve inferred from what I was told, which was just that Stewart doesn’t fit our offensive because he is a traditional post/power player whose strengths don’t include stepping away from the basket. He didn’t elaborate but watching our offense the last few years, we are very guard oriented with extremely limited post touches. Now IMO, when we have a post who is good enough to get post touches (Senior yr Christmas, Rick Jackson, Onuaku), JB has done a good job making sure the ball gets inside. But perception is reality to some. Obviously Duke and MSU have run their offense through the post a lot in recent years. I’m sure JB and the coaches are using the angle that they will revolve the offense around him. Stewart’s relationship with Hop is a big deal. If Hop was still at cuse we would likely be the favorite. Hopefully my source is wrong on this...we shall see.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Can you elaborate more if possible about “fit in the offense?” Are there concerns about how he will be utilized? Not liking how raw the current bigs are? Scheme?
I think cause we rarely pass inside. Look at Christmas, he didn’t get a pass for 3 years until he was the only offensive person able to score. He didn’t get that good in one off season. We rarely have centers with big numbers. I don’t know but I wouldn’t blame him. Love hop.

I think cause we rarely pass inside. Look at Christmas, he didn’t get a pass for 3 years until he was the only offensive person able to score. He didn’t get that good in one off season. We rarely have centers with big numbers. I don’t know but I wouldn’t blame him. Love hop.

True we never feed the post. If I was a big man would think twice

True we never feed the post. If I was a big man would think twice
Bourama Sidibe. Or B.S. we feed the post when there are players capable of creating from the post. Who is the last 5 who could do that? Yes, Christmas. Yes, he did develop into a post threat his senior year. That there were better options in previous years answers rather than raises the question. Besides, perhaps you haven’t noticed, the game has changed dramatically. Do you really think any big with NBA aspirations sees himself as a back to the basket post? Ixnay on that.

Bourama Sidibe. Or B.S. we feed the post when there are players capable of creating from the post. Who is the last 5 who could do that? Yes, Christmas. Yes, he did develop into a post threat his senior year. That there were better options in previous years answers rather than raises the question. Besides, perhaps you haven’t noticed, the game has changed dramatically. Do you really think any big with NBA aspirations sees himself as a back to the basket post? Ixnay on that.[/QUOTE

Who said anything about back to the basket? Was talking about clearing out and letting the bigs touch the ball in the paint.

Seems like we are moving away from Akok and Stewart so who are the other players we are targeting? Or are we done for 2019?

Catching in the post facing the basket? Feeding the post? Basket cuts can be accomplished 1 through 5. Feeding the post speaks to an entry pass to a back to the basket post. Lyndon played the 5 and scored. I guess I am missing something.

Christmas was our go to guy in ‘15. Jackson was our go to guy in ‘11.

If our best guy is a post player, they will feed him. It depends on what we have.

Who have we had worth feeding since Christmas? They’d even try to feed Coleman at times when he was healthy and feeling good.

Christmas was our go to guy in ‘15. Jackson was our go to guy in ‘11.

If our best guy is a post player, they will feed him. It depends on what we have.

Who have we had worth feeding since Christmas? They’d even try to feed Coleman at times when he was healthy and feeling good.

Bingo except for the part if your best player is a post guy then we feed them. We feed them when capable.

We don't feed the post and involve centers in the offense is a narrative I would expect out of other teams recruiting against us. It's a fair criticism, but based on a very limited interpretation of what is actually going on.

That said I find it to be a lazy take from those in our own fanbase who claim to actually be following the team year over year.

When we have a center that is capable of catching the ball, putting it in the basket and/or making offensive moves around the basket they get the ball. More often not we have a defense first big man or a guy that isn't particularly competent down low; think Lydon who I think might have been capable of being a big low post scorer if he had stayed and gotten stronger.

2010 we fed Arizne and he was one of several primary options
2011 we fed Big Rick and he was one of several primary options.
2012 Fab wasn't a developed enough offensive threat to consistently feed him with the other options we had, but he was utilized.
2013 - No established big man and four to five more reliable options (MCW, Triche, Fair, Dirty)
2014 - Again, no established big man and at least 3 more viable and reliable offensive options (Ennis, Cooney, Fair & Grant)
2015 - We rode Christmas big time.
2016 - No reliable offensive threat at Center. When DCII played we got him the ball at times, but I don't remember him being particularly consistent.
2017 - Lots of inconsistency at the center position. We actually did utilize Thompson in the post at times.
2018 - no offensive post presence.

I have no doubt that if Stewart came he would be utlized heavily on offense in the post, assuming he was willing to be utilized in that type of offensive scheme.

There is one thing that I think JB has always done and that is ride the guys with offensive skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.