Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't feed the post and involve centers in the offense is a narrative I would expect out of other teams recruiting against us. It's a fair criticism, but based on a very limited interpretation of what is actually going on.

That said I find it to be a lazy take from those in our own fanbase who claim to actually be following the team year over year.

When we have a center that is capable of catching the ball, putting it in the basket and/or making offensive moves around the basket they get the ball. More often not we have a defense first big man or a guy that isn't particularly competent down low; think Lydon who I think might have been capable of being a big low post scorer if he had stayed and gotten stronger.

2010 we fed Arizne and he was one of several primary options
2011 we fed Big Rick and he was one of several primary options.
2012 Fab wasn't a developed enough offensive threat to consistently feed him with the other options we had, but he was utilized.
2013 - No established big man and four to five more reliable options (MCW, Triche, Fair, Dirty)
2014 - Again, no established big man and at least 3 more viable and reliable offensive options (Ennis, Cooney, Fair & Grant)
2015 - We rode Christmas big time.
2016 - No reliable offensive threat at Center. When DCII played we got him the ball at times, but I don't remember him being particularly consistent.
2017 - Lots of inconsistency at the center position. We actually did utilize Thompson in the post at times.
2018 - no offensive post presence.

I have no doubt that if Stewart came he would be utlized heavily on offense in the post, assuming he was willing to be utilized in that type of offensive scheme.

There is one thing that I think JB has always done and that is ride the guys with offensive skills.

Right, the better argument is IS should come here because he has the skill set were lacking. If anything, that should help us.

We are not known as a school that. Features the 5 on O. Plus all of our coaches are former guards.

We are not known as a school that. Features the 5 on O. Plus all of our coaches are former guards.

please name a school that does? because none are sticking out in this current era. maybe wisconsin? but our competition here is washington, michigan state, kentucky, and duke based on official visits. not sure any of them are known for featuring the five moreso than syracuse.

Last edited:
Yeah, the idea we don't feed the post when we have a capable player down there is crazy. If you have a transcendent player like IS, we would feed him easily and often. Seems like people act like feeding the post is something all our draft pick guards and everybody just could not possibly accomplish. Lol. Now if it's saying the fit isn't right for defense or whatever I can understand looking at it differently.

Last edited:
Stewart will be the main offensive option next year if he comes, he can have a Carmelo Anthony type of impact and he and the staff know it.
Someone better inform Hughes, Carey and Guerrier they will be taking a back seat next year. Those guys expect their touches and have some stats their looking to fill.

Someone better inform Hughes, Carey and Guerrier they will be taking a back seat next year. Those guys expect their touches and have some stats their looking to fill.

“Someone better inform Warrick, Edelin, and McNamara that they will be taking a back seat next year. Those guys expect their touches and have some stats they’re looking to fill.” - 2002

We don't feed the post and involve centers in the offense is a narrative I would expect out of other teams recruiting against us. It's a fair criticism, but based on a very limited interpretation of what is actually going on.

That said I find it to be a lazy take from those in our own fanbase who claim to actually be following the team year over year.

When we have a center that is capable of catching the ball, putting it in the basket and/or making offensive moves around the basket they get the ball. More often not we have a defense first big man or a guy that isn't particularly competent down low; think Lydon who I think might have been capable of being a big low post scorer if he had stayed and gotten stronger.

2012 Fab wasn't a developed enough offensive threat to consistently feed him with the other options we had, but he was utilized.
2013 - No established big man and four to five more reliable options (MCW, Triche, Fair, Dirty)
2014 - Again, no established big man and at least 3 more viable and reliable offensive options (Ennis, Cooney, Fair & Grant)
2016 - No reliable offensive threat at Center. When DCII played we got him the ball at times, but I don't remember him being particularly consistent.
2017 - Lots of inconsistency at the center position. We actually did utilize Thompson in the post at times.

I have no doubt that if Stewart came he would be utlized heavily on offense in the post, assuming he was willing to be utilized in that type of offensive scheme.

There is one thing that I think JB has always done and that is ride the guys with offensive skills.

Facts

They still get there touches, having 5 guys that can score is huge. It’s about winning who cares how we do it. Putting the best lineup out there to get wins is all that matters.

Christmas was our go to guy in ‘15. Jackson was our go to guy in ‘11.

If our best guy is a post player, they will feed him. It depends on what we have.

Who have we had worth feeding since Christmas? They’d even try to feed Coleman at times when he was healthy and feeling good.
The only thing with that year for Christmas was our only scorer. He had the moves 3 previous years and we didn’t feed him. Can’t remember game where he had 12 pets I think on all nice looking baby hooks. Think he had the drop step if I remember right.

The only thing with that year for Christmas was our only scorer. He had the moves 3 previous years and we didn’t feed him. Can’t remember game where he had 12 pets I think on all nice looking baby hooks. Think he had the drop step if I remember right.
He didn’t have the moves the previous 3 years. As with many bigs, he developed. His use was proportionate to the scoring options he presented relative to the rest of the team. This is revisionist history.

please name a school that does? because none are sticking out in this current era. maybe wisconsin? but our competition here is washington, michigan state, kentucky, and duke based on official visits. not sure any of them are known for featuring the five moreso than syracuse.
Other than Washington i think its fair to say that all of those teams place a bigger emphasis on interior play.
Im actually fine with our centers being focused on D. I do wish however that we would land a really talented defender possibly the Juco.

Not mention the touches we got Hak the 3 years from 02-03 though 04-05

He should be a good example... got him into pretty decent position... our second best NBA career in the past 20 years right? Pretty sure he wasn’t even ranked in the top 100 when we committed right?

Now that I think more about it, arent we one of the best programs ever for featuring 3s and 4s? I mean he is not a true center right? Even going back before Hak, most of our most prolific players were 6-8 to 6-10 guys... I mean right?

He didn’t have the moves the previous 3 years. As with many bigs, he developed. His use was proportionate to the scoring options he presented relative to the rest of the team. This is revisionist history.
See I swore he did. Freshmen no not at all. Soph he had a good game but pg wouldn’t feed him. Jr year he could score but we had other scorers so wasn’t a big deal Sr year they had no choice. I remember screaming at tv to pass low but they never did. There is a reason one goes from 5 points a game to 17. It ain’t no last min hook that he just aquired

See I swore he did. Freshmen no not at all. Soph he had a good game but pg wouldn’t feed him. Jr year he could score but we had other scorers so wasn’t a big deal Sr year they had no choice. I remember screaming at tv to pass low but they never did. There is a reason one goes from 5 points a game to 17. It ain’t no last min hook that he just aquired

Agree totally. He had the highest shooting percentage on the team every year from frosh through his senior year. They wouldn't feed him until his senior year. I thought it was stupid.

Agree totally. He had the highest shooting percentage on the team every year from frosh through his senior year. They wouldn't feed him until his senior year. I thought it was stupid.

I think people are forgetting his first 3 years. I'm so glad that Rakeem had a great senior year - he started 140 of 142 games over his 4 years here. Baye, his back up, had a better shooting percentage. No doubt that Rak had much greater potential that we didn't see realized on any consistent basis till his senior year.

Rakeem Christmas College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Baye Moussa Keita College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I think people are forgetting his first 3 years. I'm so glad that Rakeem had a great senior year - he started 140 of 142 games over his 4 years here. Baye, his back up, had a better shooting percentage. No doubt that Rak had much greater potential that we didn't see realized on any consistent basis till his senior year.

Rakeem Christmas College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Baye Moussa Keita College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I should have said among starters...or those that had meaningful minutes.

Stewart reminds me of a more coordinated/athletic version of Thomas Bryant. In those hs game highlights, he bullies much smaller players in the paint. The next level isn’t going to be a cakewalk. I hope he’s prepared to spend more than one year in college. He would be great for us—a near perfect mix with the other players we will have, but I’m not optimistic. I predict duke or mstate, but I think he will ‘disappear’ with either of those programs, for different reasons each, while he could ‘star’ for us.

I think cause we rarely pass inside. Look at Christmas, he didn’t get a pass for 3 years until he was the only offensive person able to score. He didn’t get that good in one off season. We rarely have centers with big numbers. I don’t know but I wouldn’t blame him. Love hop.
We started feeding Rak more his junior year when we hit ACC play. He developed a little jump hook and we started looking to feed him the ball more in the post, but we had other weapons like CJ and Grant who we went to more.

Last edited:
NC State game in the Dome during our 25-0 start where we won in the last minute.

No. Junior year is when he started developing a few good post moves.

No. Junior year is when he started developing a few good post moves.

No doubt his offensive game improved, but he always showed that he could put the ball in the basket at a high percentage rate. I was surprised because coming out of high school most thought that he would primarily be a defensive presence.

I know we haven't had a steady stream of bigs that have great offensive skills, but we don't try to use our bigs on offense as much as I'd like. I'm a little old school.

Bevo Francis ruled.

No doubt his offensive game improved, but he always showed that he could put the ball in the basket at a high percentage rate. I was surprised because coming out of high school most thought that he would primarily be a defensive presence.

I know we haven't had a steady stream of bigs that have great offensive skills, but we don't try to use our bigs on offense as much as I'd like. I'm a little old school.

Bevo Francis ruled.
Rio Grande.

Status
Not open for further replies.