Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a popular take here, but IMO it's not accurate. The 5s are not "completely ignored on offense" because that is what we do. Our 5s are just not skilled and strong enough to post up, maintain position, catch, and then have the footwork and touch to finish. Similar reasons as to why they are not looked to on the pick-and-roll (other than poor execution). They have to have the space to catch and go right up without a dribble or footwork execution. Otherwise, they just can't seem to finish.

Bring in a 5 with size, strength, and skill set and they will be a big part of the offense (Sr. Christmas, Arinize, Jackson).
The problem is if the recruits are only watching current games for all the schools they’re considering. Not so effective if our coaches have to send them ‘archival footage’ as homework to review, to find the occasions when we featured a junior and senior post player.

Don’t get the clamor about IS to UW if it happens. Would be great for Mike and I like having a new west coast team to watch and root for. Last season was very fulfilling to watch out there. He ain’t coming here so why is everyone such a poor sport about it?

If someone thinks Mike d!cked over SU you’ve got it backwards.

The problem is if the recruits are only watching current games for all the schools they’re considering. Not so effective if our coaches have to send them ‘archival footage’ as homework to review, to find the occasions when we featured a junior and senior post player.

It's not like the coaches have to go back to the 90's to show a successful center. Rak was not long ago. IS definitely watched him play, live.

It's not like the coaches have to go back to the 90's to show a successful center. Rak was not long ago. IS definitely watched him play, live.

Between AO, Jackson, Melo, Christmas, and Coleman, the whole first half of this decade was filled with very good centers and/or big time recruits.

We bring in one project who can’t score and suddenly no good center wants to come here? Not buying it.

Between AO, Jackson, Melo, Christmas, and Coleman, the whole first half of this decade was filled with very good centers and/or big time recruits.

We bring in one project who can’t score and suddenly no good center wants to come here? Not buying it.

Ok what decent Big are we bringing in this year

That makes sense on the surface, but it doesn't always work that way once the real recruiting starts. 5s with the skill set to consistently score inside at the P5 level are few and far between. 5s with that skill are heavily recruited from an early age and they believe that that can play and score against anyone in any system. They are told, and rightly so, by every school that they are special and that they will be a featured part of the offense from day 1.

Is it a benefit to have a history of featuring bigs in the offense and sending 5s to the NBA? Without question that is true. But, to think that the only way SU can entice these 5s is to send "footage" is off the mark, IMO.

They simply tell kids that every time we have had a player like YOU, the offense runs through the 5.

Ok what decent Big are we bringing in this year

We’ll see?

As I said, I refuse to believe we just suddenly flat out can’t recruit or develop bigs. That is a frustrated hot take because our center can’t score.

Coleman got hurt, the NCAA screwed us on Diagne, Sidibe has been hurt, and Chukwu hasn’t developed beyond being a shotblocker/defense first role player. It’s been a tough couple year run, but all this “Syracuse doesn’t feature their centers” is pure crap that I would expect from message board trolls and fans of other teams who don’t actually follow and know.

I'm almost rooting for it. (Yes, I'm prepared for the fairweather fan accusations I'm inviting right now.) But really, if the kid wants to go there, he'll go there. It's probably not a huge loss; Syracuse doesn't use its centers so he'd be a 5 and 5 type of guy as a freshman at SU anyway. Might as well give Mike a boost while also chuckling at the absurdity of the situation.

Which is nuts considering the fact that 80% of the offense involves our center screening and rolling to the basket.

Edit: I’d like to think we’d use a skilled big if we got one again ala Christmas, but idk if the system has simply changed in recent years or if we just don’t trust the big guys at all.

Which is nuts considering the fact that 80% of the offense involves our center screening and rolling to the basket.

Edit: I’d like to think we’d use a skilled big if we got one again ala Christmas, but idk if the system has simply changed in recent years or if we just don’t trust the big guys at all.

Tyler Ennis was pretty good feeding Jerami Grant and Rak (and CJ) back in 2014. It wasn't "forever ago" that we last fed the post. I really wish we would flash guys to the foul line like Oshea, who could make a play from that spot on the floor. I would also like to see him and Battle posting up any guards who try to defend them man-to-man. Some of the things we could do to improve our offense are so obvious.

We’ll see?

As I said, I refuse to believe we just suddenly flat out can’t recruit or develop bigs. That is a frustrated hot take because our center can’t score.

Coleman got hurt, the NCAA screwed us on Diagne, Sidibe has been hurt, and Chukwu hasn’t developed beyond being a shotblocker/defense first role player. It’s been a tough couple year run, but all this “Syracuse doesn’t feature their centers” is pure crap that I would expect from message board trolls and fans of other teams who don’t actually follow and know.

I don't believe the NCAA screwed us on Diagne. He's had issues qualifying at every stop. He's also getting no playing time for a very average WKU squad this year. One could argue the outcome worked out for us favorably.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't go to MSU or Duke. UW? Who have they produced?

I'll be shocked if he doesn't go to MSU or Duke. UW? Who have they produced?

I'd say Duke over MSU. Honestly, I don't really get the whole MSU attraction. MSU gets their share of studs, but typically it's home grown and from the state of Michigan. Duke has way more panache then MSU, not to mention going to a school that has been in the news a lot the past year for all the wrong reasons.

Of course, it would be sweet to land a relatively home grown blue-chipper ourselves vs. seeing him go elsewhere.

Zay responding to his bud, Naz Carter (after NC tweeting out best big man in the country)...

Status
Not open for further replies.