Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are basing it upon that, he won't. In all these videos he looks like he will be a decent player but also looks very deliberate to put it nicely. That may change as he grows into his body but he will have a tough time against quicker players at least from what I am seeing on what is posted.
Can't judge someone who still has 2 years to develop. Some of these guys don't even get recognition until the end of their senior year

I think this kid is a basketBALLER. Oozes potential and no disrespect to anyone, but based on what clips you see posted in this thread and the staff's track record for finding hidden gems before they blew up (see MCW, Kadary, Lydon, the Budster and a slew of others), not sure how anyone would see bust in this kid. Just my opinion.

Pretty boring take but I'll bite. What about the last five years has caused this blind loyalty?
You are confusing talent evaluation (and I will take the SU staff against anyone) with the ability to land the recruits they rate the highest. They don’t get their choice of players.
The lack of ability to land the guys they rate the highest is the biggest issue with SU basketball, and that’s pretty much it.

You are confusing talent evaluation (and I will take the SU staff against anyone) with the ability to land the recruits they rate the highest. They don’t get their choice of players.
The lack of ability to land the guys they rate the highest is the biggest issue with SU basketball, and that’s pretty much it.
My original point that started this was questioning whether the kid looked slow afoot in the videos that have been posted. Whether he can become quicker, only time will tell. I don't claim to be an expert and I hope he proves me wrong and comes to Syracuse and becomes a star.

I certainly can't argue your point though since I am not privy to what the coaching staff's big board is. If you are correct in your assertion and they are identifying the talent first, the staff aren't getting the steak knives let alone the Cadillac Eldorado for the ABC.

Not surprising. His high school team just won the State Championship for large schools. He’s also now 6’11. The kid to watch in Maine is 6’8 9th grader Cooper Flagg, rated nationally in the top 10. He’s already done zooms with McCaffrey (Iowa) and Howard (Michigan) and has an offer from Bryant. He and his twin brother also got a Maine state championship in their division.

Last edited:
Not surprising. His high school team just won the State Championship for large schools. He’s also now 6’11. The kid to watch in Maine is 6’8 9th grader Cooper Flagg, rated nationally in the top 10. He’s already done zooms with McCaffrey (Iowa) and Howard (Michigan) and has an offer from Bryant. He and his twin brother also got a Maine state championship in their division.
Flagg twins headed to Monteverde.

Lots of potential to work with here. Wouldn't classify his game as 'explosive' but seems to use footwork well around the hoop + a nice touch & good positioning for blocks - not comparing his game, but play style reminds me of Drew Timme.

Much further along skill wise than Jesse was at this point, exciting possibilities.

"Estrella came into the evening with a lot of buzz after establishing a high major recruitment during the high school season. In his first chance to prove himself with high majors watching, Estrella displayed the promise that coaches were initially intrigued by.

A 6-foot-10 big with soft hands, long arms, and a great understanding of how to play, Estrella was fundamentally sound in his approach and played with a chip on his shoulder. He caught passes in tight spaces, was efficient in setting screens, and finished all plays he needed to inside.

His upside is very attainable because of his mindset and his production level will increase by the day as he adds weight. Boston College, Iowa, Marquette, Penn State, Providence, Tennessee, and Xavier have offered and more could be thrown down soon."

"Estrella came into the evening with a lot of buzz after establishing a high major recruitment during the high school season. In his first chance to prove himself with high majors watching, Estrella displayed the promise that coaches were initially intrigued by.

A 6-foot-10 big with soft hands, long arms, and a great understanding of how to play, Estrella was fundamentally sound in his approach and played with a chip on his shoulder. He caught passes in tight spaces, was efficient in setting screens, and finished all plays he needed to inside.

His upside is very attainable because of his mindset and his production level will increase by the day as he adds weight. Boston College, Iowa, Marquette, Penn State, Providence, Tennessee, and Xavier have offered and more could be thrown down soon."
Interesting that Syracuse isn't mentioned here as a team that has offered Estrella, considering that the Orange, I believe, was the first program to offer him.

Interesting that Syracuse isn't mentioned here as a team that has offered Estrella, considering that the Orange, I believe, was the first program to offer him.
I think you’re right. One of the articles from the Portland paper mentions he got the offer at last years elite camp.

I think you’re right. One of the articles from the Portland paper mentions he got the offer at last years elite camp.

Yeah, JP was among four 2023 guys (Estrella, Wagner, Ducharme, Kante) and one 2024 guy (Donnie Freeman) who got offers at the Elite Camp last August!

so is there still mutual interest here?
I think so. He was really excited about the offer, but it was one of his first big offers so he would have been excited no matter what. There’s a pretty funny video of him talking about getting the offer from JB at elite camp - seemed pretty happy and surprised. Likable kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom