Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the length, size, and intangibles. I agree he is not an explosive athlete... at all. His rebounding numbers in HS are not impressive. What he does bring to the table that I find most intriguing is his court awareness, anticipation, and BBIQ. Things you can't teach. He reminds me a little of Marek in that regard (not in playing style).
Hes actually a really solid rebounder. Reminds me a lot of Paul Millsap

Maliq Brown's Basketball Stats​

YearGradeTeamGPMPGPPGDEFROFFRRPGAPGSPGBPGTPGPFPG
Varsity Totals785.67.62.81.84.61.71.50.61.01.6
20-21JuniorVarsity150.012.93.81.75.53.93.31.61.72.2
19-20SophomoreVarsity3512.59.93.42.45.91.91.60.61.22.1
18-19FreshmanVarsity280.01.81.41.02.40.30.40.20.50.5
Insanely efficient freshman and junior years. Infinite points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks per minute.

Plays a little below the rim for his size. Reminds me of a more athletic Rick Jackson. Actually think his style is a little different than we usually seek at the 4. But like others have said, he’s a great piece to the puzzle. Love that he’s a high energy guy…

Love the football background and playing QB. Totally reminds me of Geoff McDermott who was a 4 year starter at Providence but also played QB for New Rochelle. Still the hardest hitting football team I have ever seen in NYS and the best team I have ever seen in person here.

Won’t be easy to displace. Big add. Moving bodies instead of getting moved. How long since we had that?

Maliq Brown's Basketball Stats​

YearGradeTeamGPMPGPPGDEFROFFRRPGAPGSPGBPGTPGPFPG
Varsity Totals785.67.62.81.84.61.71.50.61.01.6
20-21JuniorVarsity150.012.93.81.75.53.93.31.61.72.2
19-20SophomoreVarsity3512.59.93.42.45.91.91.60.61.22.1
18-19FreshmanVarsity280.01.81.41.02.40.30.40.20.50.5

I never trust High School numbers because they never seem to be right, but if those Sophomore numbers are correct and he was grabbing 6 rebounds in 12 minutes if game time, that's 20 rebounds per 40 minutes of play. Pretty great even by being 6'9 in high school standards.

Coincidence that every guy in '22 class has specifically referenced their relationship with GMac as a crucial factor in deciding on Cuse? Even guys like Brown and Carey who aren't guards. Next man up post JB?

I never trust High School numbers because they never seem to be right, but if those Sophomore numbers are correct and he was grabbing 6 rebounds in 12 minutes if game time, that's 20 rebounds per 40 minutes of play. Pretty great even by being 6'9 in high school standards.
Yeah, it looks like MPG were not kept. If you want to point out funky, his Jr year he was grabbing 5.5 RBG while playing 0.0 MPG - now that is impressive. The site lists 590 points scored over Fr-Soph-Jr years in 78 games played (7.6 PPG) and 355 rebounds (4.6 RPG). Those numbers seem oddly specific.

Last edited:
Seems like an awesome and really humble kid. Loved all the thanks he threw out. And in case anyone dropped early he threw a hey JT at the end right before it dropped. Welcome young man!

Seems like a very good pick up to me.

Now, whoever is the likely last guy in this class, we need a really bucket getter.

That’s why Bunch makes so much sense. Hope he and his family see that.

I don't know that Bunch is that guy. I see some of Lawrence Moten or Preston Shumpert in his game, but I just don't see enough dribbling ability to get past guys (like Moten had, to keep guys honest and not overplay his shot), or enough athleticism, like a Tyus Battle, to be sure of getting those set shots against ACC defenders.

Yeah, it looks like MPG were not kept. If you want to point out funky, his Jr year he was grabbing 5.5 RBG while playing 0.0 MPG - now that is impressive. The site lists 590 points scored over Fr-Soph-Jr years in 78 games played (7.6 PPG) and 355 rebounds (4.6 RPG). Those numbers seem oddly specific.
It’s his junior year assist #’s that really stick out for me. Almost 4 assists per game plus over 3 steals per game is really surprising from a high school power forward.

It’s his junior year assist #’s that really stick out for me. Almost 4 assists per game plus over 3 steals per game is really surprising from a high school power forward.
Watching his film, I thought the same thing. He is good at lots of things and exceptional at passing the ball.

I bet he ends up spending some time playing the high post here while on offense. Especially if he can develop a reliable 15 foot jumper.

Watching his film, I thought the same thing. He is good at lots of things and exceptional at passing the ball.

I bet he ends up spending some time playing the high post here while on offense. Especially if he can develop a reliable 15 foot jumper.
Maybe he will turn out to be a Marek type player with more beef.

Yes! I thought the same and mentioned his court awareness, anticipation, and BBIQ in previous posts. This is reflected in his steals and assists numbers. Brown is a little different from the more traditional PF in this respect. He has the traditional body type, but brings different skills, kind of like Marek in that sense. His size, length, anticipation, and shot blocking will play well in JB's zone. He will need to rebound better than those HS numbers suggest.

It will be interesting to watch his development over his career.

Yes! I thought the same and mentioned his court awareness, anticipation, and BBIQ in previous posts. This is reflected in his steals and assists numbers. Brown is a little different from the more traditional PF in this respect. He has the traditional body type, but brings different skills, kind of like Marek in that sense. His size, length, anticipation, and shot blocking will play well in JB's zone. He will need to rebound better than those HS numbers suggest.

It will be interesting to watch his development over his career.
IDK about the HS numbers. Generally, the game is slower, meaning fewer shots. Also, there are often more turnovers, so fewer shots. Lastly, the games are 20% shorter than college. You might be right, but it’s not as simple as the actual number.

Classic four-year Cuse forward. Need to get back to that formula.
Only problem is that half those guys would leave after year 1 now because they only got 6mpg and won't wait to progress to 12-15 in year 2, then possibly starting year 3. Here's hoping some of our guys can figure that out and are willing to work for it. Just never know how their minds work or whos in their ear.

Love the football background and playing QB. Totally reminds me of Geoff McDermott who was a 4 year starter at Providence but also played QB for New Rochelle. Still the hardest hitting football team I have ever seen in NYS and the best team I have ever seen in person here.
Joe g was also a good qb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors