Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the position that drives me insane. PGs drive winning in college basketball more than any other position and we've prioritized trying to turn guys into PGs instead of recruiting actual floor generals with PG skills. It might work once in a while like we've seen but more often than not a PG is more of a born skillset than a learned one.

Agree with this -- if there's one position we shouldn't sacrifice skill for size / length for the zone, it's PG. Quality lead guards can turn a poor team good, a good team great, and make a great team elite.

Missing on Quade Green was a multi-year setback. We saw how different things looked last year when we had a lead guard on the roster who wasn't a converted combo trying to learn how to run a team.

This is the type of kid that may be the factor we need to muscle up vs Duke and UNC. I’ll take another Roberson or the like.
I don’t think JB would take another Roberson- the vein in the side JB’s neck would explode.

Cope
Jt
Bunch
Brown
Carey

This could be a great class that covers 1-5
No first year starters within the group so I can see the Orange hitting the transfer portal if Cole Swider and Benny Williams are not on next year‘s team.

No first year starters within the group so I can see the Orange hitting the transfer portal if Cole Swider and Benny Williams are not on next year‘s team.
I would be so quick to make that declaration. Especially if Buddy opts to go pro.

Gregory and the man that this players, wow solid, projects program guys.

Believe the last recent pure power forwards we had was Chris McCullough in 2015, Jerami Grant in 2013-2014 and Rick Jackson in late 2000s. The first two were only with the Cuse 1 year and 2 years respectively.
To me, CJ Fair and Tyler Lydon played more SF and C rather PF.
Tyler Lydon should never be considered by anyone a small Ford

He did. But so did Joe and Buddy, I think? Or was Joe’s before the season?

He didn’t seem to buy it that he should be shut down for the rest of the year for it. Felt like an excuse, frankly.

I know we would’ve had to do things differently than normal, but kid looked good enough to get regular minutes from everything I saw.

Curious to see how he does at Ok. state.
When CJ Fair was a freshman and played well right away, he actually got some playing time, even though we had two other experienced forwards on the rosters ahead of him. It’s frustrating that JB has moved farther away from using his bench for significant minutes the last half decade or so. I don’t understand the shift. Woody should have played more. But he fell behind Braswell as the third forward because of Braswell’s defense and his prior experience playing the zone.

When CJ Fair was a freshman and played well right away, he actually got some playing time, even though we had two other experienced forwards on the rosters ahead of him. It’s frustrating that JB has moved farther away from using his bench for significant minutes the last half decade or so. I don’t understand the shift. Woody should have played more. But he fell behind Braswell as the third forward because of Braswell’s defense and his prior experience playing the zone.
If you recall, last year's team was struggling to win games early on.
When your team is winning, bench-sitters are less likely to complain about their minutes.

But when losses are piling up, they start to voice their dissatisfaction about not playing, believing they can turn things around.

But Boeheim dealt with the losses the way a HOF coach deals with them. He could see that he absolutely needed to give his starters all the PT they needed to improve their team play & eliminate mistakes, which of course meant less minutes for those on the bench, which led to more dissension.

It was a crisis situation, but Boeheim shrugged off the criticism & kept doing things his way, coached the hell out of his team, improved their team play, and once again proved to his critics that his way is the path to success, with the Sweet Sixteen providing proof of just that at the end of the season.

In a lot of ways, given the desperate perceptions of the mid-season, COVID, and the player-dissension that was reinforced by carping popcorn-eating fans, it was one of Jim Boeheim's most impressive coaching performances.

Looking forward to more of the same this year...
Seinfeld Ok GIF

Didn’t Woody get COVID? He fell behind others, and may not have recovered quickly, so minutes were going to be hard to find. When he did play he didn’t help himself either.

If you recall, last year's team was struggling to win games early on.
When your team is winning, bench-sitters are less likely to complain about their minutes.

But when losses are piling up, they start to voice their dissatisfaction about not playing, believing they can turn things around.

But Boeheim dealt with the losses the way a HOF coach deals with them. He could see that he absolutely needed to give his starters all the PT they needed to improve their team play & eliminate mistakes, which of course meant less minutes for those on the bench, which led to more dissension.

It was a crisis situation, but Boeheim shrugged off the criticism & kept doing things his way, coached the hell out of his team, improved their team play, and once again proved to his critics that his way is the path to success, with the Sweet Sixteen providing proof of just that at the end of the season.

In a lot of ways, given the desperate perceptions of the mid-season, COVID, and the player-dissension that was reinforced by carping popcorn-eating fans, it was one of Jim Boeheim's most impressive coaching performances.

Looking forward to more of the same this year...
Seinfeld Ok GIF
We started winning when bench players like Richmond, Braswell, and Jessie were given minutes to support! Then Buddy played like Larry Bird.

I'm sure we've got to be in his top 5, along with Va Tech, NC State, and I'm not sure who else. Anyone know when he plans to reveal his list?

We should pass here and pocket the scholarship for the portal.

As long as we can find a kid who can give us two years I agree. Then again the counter point is that a kid like this comes in and Benny returns and it's not as big of a deal if he doesn't get major minutes. If Benny is legit and comes back probably a guy we want to be out there 36 mins

We should pass here and pocket the scholarship for the portal.

Nah.

There will ALWAYS be an open scholly available, if need be.

While I do agree that we will need to pound the portal, don’t forget that sometimes the portal pounds back.

These things always work themselves out.

No point keeping an extra spot open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors