Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just seems a kid that outperforms his ranking and is a contributor from day 1 and by the time he’s a senior he’s in the all-conference conversation. Similar to CJ Fair

I get what you’re saying, but the 2022 team isn’t looking very good if Benny is a one and done. It’s extremely light on shooting and scoring especially at the forward positions. Girard is going to be taking a ton of shots that season.

I get what you’re saying, but the 2022 team isn’t looking very good if Benny is a one and done. It’s extremely light on shooting and scoring especially at the forward positions. Girard is going to be taking a ton of shots that season.
Yeah don't be so negative lol. This 2022 class is still really good if we get Bunch and Brown. Prob our best class since 2016 with Moyer Battle and Thompson

Yeah don't be so negative lol. This 2022 class is still really good if we get Bunch and Brown. Prob our best class since 2016 with Moyer Battle and Thompson
I hope its better than that one. One guy contributed long term. The other two left.

Not being negative, but this class needs ready scoring/shooting. 2 guys who play 5 feet away from the basket, one guard who can’t shoot, and another guard who struggled to shoot in AAU is going to have fans concerned.

Hopefully Benny stays or we can find a go to scorer in the portal because that’s a roster that will have Girard chucking quite a bit.

I hope its better than that one. One guy contributed long term. The other two left.

Not being negative, but this class needs ready scoring/shooting. 2 guys who play 5 feet away from the basket, one guard who can’t shoot, and another guard who struggled to shoot in AAU is going to have fans concerned.

Hopefully Benny stays or we can find a go to scorer in the portal because that’s a roster that will have Girard chucking quite a bit.

No doubt a lot of what ifs. I would hope that team is going to be better defensively at least to counter balance the drop off in shooting but yeah. A lot of questions to be answered for sure including what direction we need to go portal wise.

One thing that sticks out to me if we do get that 5 man class - is how great that zone would be. Maybe one of our best.

Those 5 guys all seem to be good to great defenders and are all tall, rangy, strong and athletic. We would be 6-6 / 6-6 up top and 6-7 / 6-8 on the wing and 7 ft in the middle. We would be very imposing to play against I think.

It’s the type of team we used to have, that would hold teams to 40 or 50 points a night with terrible shooting percentages. They would force a ton of turnovers and all those guys seem to run great in transition, so our fast break game will finally return. It would be a vastly different looked team than we have had in recent years and probably look more like our old Big East teams, which honestly I would welcome in a heartbeat.

I can get behind a class of those 5 and if Cole and Benny stay along with our centers, I think it’s actually a very good and well blended team.

I watched this yesterday on my phone and wasn't overly impressed: the word "serviceable" came to mind.
However, I looked at it again on my destktop (bigger screen) and came away much more impressed. The kid moves his feet very well especially on defense and he looks like a good athlete.
Reminded me a bit of "Bad Mutha Keita" on that end. I'd be very happy with this pick-up.
If we land Bunch and Brown, I think this will be an outstanding class. JMHO

I watched this yesterday on my phone and wasn't overly impressed: the word "serviceable" came to mind.
However, I looked at it again on my destktop (bigger screen) and came away much more impressed. The kid moves his feet very well especially on defense and he looks like a good athlete.
Reminded me a bit of "Bad Mutha Keita" on that end. I'd be very happy with this pick-up.
Great points. Some feel that with no "superstars" we are screwed. But if we get all five they could become fabulous by developing a closeness associated with mutual admiration.

Brilliant move by JB.

After this year when we take 35 3s, struggle on the boards and defensively it’ll get every all riled up.

“Remember when we were elite defensively!”
“This is a worse zone than Gillon and TT!”
“JB focuses too much on shooting and not enough on atheletes”

then Buddy, Cole, and Jimmy will leave. In comes JT, QC, Brown, Bunch. Our defense improves dramatically and Benny takes a huge sophomore leap - all freshman are solid and contributing, especially on D. But the offense struggles other than the consistency of Benny and a few random games where Joe goes off. Then we will hear

“JB ignores offense!”
“Less athletes more BASKETBALL players”
“We have no shooting, if we could score we could make a run in March”

I know the goal is balance but it’s pretty funny to see look at the roster construction will be so much different (obviously a lot can happen between then and now)

Key word. Taking

I also think he's likely to be another program guy. In today's game I think a team of 3-4 star guys if they've played with each other for 3-4 years can often beat the teams like Duke and UK in the tournament. Chemistry and experience matter. I love the class we're putting together this year. JT, Cope, Carey, Brown and Bunch is quite a nice class if that's what it ends up being.

I agree with that, but in today's college basketball landscape, you just can't think that a guy will be a "program" guy as most will leave if they don't get playing time soon enough. In any event, I hope this guy commits (since the coaches want him).

A couple things. I think on the player alone I like his size and he has a frame to add more. Shows good body control around the rim, uses both hands, goes in aggressive and has some nice dribble drive skills 10 feet in. Tape shows nice court vision also. Some nice passing. Yeah he isn’t raining 3s but kid looks pretty good and he has a 7 foot wingspan. Also Quincy, Marek and Griffin are gone. Sid is done after the upcoming season. We need some guys who can hit the boards, guys like Carey and Brown can do that. Since he is tight with Taylor it provides some likely stability. I get he isn’t flashy but give me a couple blue coller bangers under the hoop that have some athleticism any day. I think he is really a nice add if he comes our way. I am giving this pickup a little cowbell.
A90DD0D6-3B60-4580-BCFF-6E3022CED01D.gif

He sort of reminds me of a motivated Roberson. Going after blocks and actively involved on the defensive end. I agree that he moves his feet very well. Let’s play him at the top of the zone lol

Looks like a taller bigger better version of Dayshawn Wright. I'm in the camp that we need a PF or two with some beef. So sick of skinny bean pole PFs who'd rather sit on the perimeter. We need a dude who can do some dirty work in the paint. Kid likes to stay around the basket, get rebounds layups and dunks. If he can actually make the bunnies he'll be an upgrade. Athletic kid to who's far from a stiff and he has a bit of handle.

Last edited:
This just seems a kid that outperforms his ranking and is a contributor from day 1 and by the time he’s a senior he’s in the all-conference conversation. Similar to CJ Fair
Hope that's the case but CJ was a 4 star in the 80s and we had to beat out Florida, Louisville and Maryland to get him.

Last 10 years are guys ranked 150+ are:
Ron Patterson - 175
Chinoso Obokoh - 180
Bourama Sidibe - 190
Howard Washington - 289
Robert Braswell - 151
Buddy Boeheim - 349
Jesse Edwards - 198
Joe Girard - 202
John Bol Ajak - 480
Frank Anselem - 201

Chances aren't great that guys ranked down there are going to turn into rotation players unless they are unathletic, local white guys.

Other thing you can see is just how many of these guys we now have. Half of our scholarship guys on this years roster are on that list compared to only having 2 of them total in the 1st half of the years that I looked at.

Hope that's the case but CJ was a 4 star in the 80s and we had to beat out Florida, Louisville and Maryland to get him.

Last 10 years are guys ranked 150+ are:
Ron Patterson - 175
Chinoso Obokoh - 180
Bourama Sidibe - 190
Howard Washington - 289
Robert Braswell - 151
Buddy Boeheim - 349
Jesse Edwards - 198
Joe Girard - 202
John Bol Ajak - 480
Frank Anselem - 201

Chances aren't great that guys ranked down there are going to turn into rotation players unless they are unathletic, local white guys.

Other thing you can see is just how many of these guys we now have. Half of our scholarship guys on this years roster are on that list compared to only having 2 of them total in the 1st half of the years that I looked at.

Interesting breakdown. Looks like a mixed bag.

Ron Patterson - 175 -- not good enough, transfer
Chinoso Obokoh - 180 -- not good enough, transfer
Bourama Sidibe - 190 -- productive starter, derailed by injuries
Howard Washington - 289 -- not good enough, transfer
Robert Braswell - 151 -- productive rotation guy, transfer
Buddy Boeheim - 349 -- absolute star, all-conference caliber, all-american honors not out of the question
Jesse Edwards - 198 -- looks like a multi-year starter
Joe Girard - 202 -- starter, ups and downs
John Bol Ajak - 480 -- TBD, might eventually be a rotation guy
Frank Anselem - 201 -- TBD, might eventually be a rotation guy or a starter

From that group, I'd say that Buddy's rating was out of whack, given that he played / excelled at Brewster, playing a national caliber schedule and other top flight players. Probably a similar underrating of Sidibe, given that he played for a Jersey prep power and excelled against other top 100 players.

Everyone else seems to be rated about right. Braswell was a flyer who probably outshot the rating - he also was rated ~150, so it's no surprise that he ended up being a guy who was a solid contributor. Girard's story is still being written -- jury is still out. Edwards also seems like a candidate to outshoot the rating. Jury's still out with Anselem.

Otherwise, tough to argue with the rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors