Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope that's the case but CJ was a 4 star in the 80s and we had to beat out Florida, Louisville and Maryland to get him.

Last 10 years are guys ranked 150+ are:
Ron Patterson - 175
Chinoso Obokoh - 180
Bourama Sidibe - 190
Howard Washington - 289
Robert Braswell - 151
Buddy Boeheim - 349
Jesse Edwards - 198
Joe Girard - 202
John Bol Ajak - 480
Frank Anselem - 201

Chances aren't great that guys ranked down there are going to turn into rotation players unless they are unathletic, local white guys.

Other thing you can see is just how many of these guys we now have. Half of our scholarship guys on this years roster are on that list compared to only having 2 of them total in the 1st half of the years that I looked at.

His film looks way better than all of these bigs at the same stage. Way better.

Chinoso Obokoh - 180
Bourama Sidibe - 190
Robert Braswell - 151
Jesse Edwards - 198
John Bol Ajak - 480
Frank Anselem - 201

Not one of those kids had a top 5 that included Georgetown, Virginia Tech, or North Carolina State either. All top 20 type programs. Sometimes we have to throw the rankings out.

Chinoso Obokoh - 180
Bourama Sidibe - 190
Robert Braswell - 151
Jesse Edwards - 198
John Bol Ajak - 480
Frank Anselem - 201

Not one of those kids had a top 5 that included Georgetown, Virginia Tech, or North Carolina State either. All top 20 type programs. Sometimes we have to throw the rankings out.
Maliq was literally a top 100 player just a year ago today. Not sure at all why they dropped him

I hope its better than that one. One guy contributed long term. The other two left.

Not being negative, but this class needs ready scoring/shooting. 2 guys who play 5 feet away from the basket, one guard who can’t shoot, and another guard who struggled to shoot in AAU is going to have fans concerned.

Hopefully Benny stays or we can find a go to scorer in the portal because that’s a roster that will have Girard chucking quite a bit.
Are you assuming that Cole is leaving? I believe he will to but say he doesn't, he will undoubtedly be our #1 option. Watch out for Cole this season, he and buddy will be our top scorers

We are in a good spot here. This will be a good get. He’s not a top 50 super skilled kid. But he does well what we need Syracuse forwards to do. He’s athletic and long. I like that the staff is getting back to athletes and size which we have been lacking for a bit now. Don’t think he’ll ever be a star here but he’ll definitely be a very good rotational guy and most likely a starter by his 2nd or 3rd year.

We are in a good spot here. This will be a good get. He’s not a top 50 super skilled kid. But he does well what we need Syracuse forwards to do. He’s athletic and long. I like that the staff is getting back to athletes and size which we have been lacking for a bit now. Don’t think he’ll ever be a star here but he’ll definitely be a very good rotational guy and most likely a starter by his 2nd or 3rd year.

I'll add that sometimes, no-frills bigs might have a lower upside / NBA potential, but a much higher floor in terms of produtivity.

Since this kid seems to be a good system fit [his HS coach compared him to Hakim Warrick, which seems like a stretch but suggests he's an athlete in the mold that we prefer], and he "only" ends up as a guy who excels at the dirty work -- sign me up.

Also seems like he's a developing but solid mid-range shooter. Fine by me.

I also like the fact that he's starting his senior year of HS weighing 210 pounds. We bring in too many big men recruits who are on the wrong side of 200. Not hard to envision this kid being 220+ in a year or two, and suited for inside play.

I don't disagree with that analysis. It may be PTSD from Moyer and Roberson who had similar skill sets. That said I do think we need to find another immediate ready create your own offense scorer in this class.

I'll add that sometimes, no-frills bigs might have a lower upside / NBA potential, but a much higher floor in terms of produtivity.

Since this kid seems to be a good system fit [his HS coach compared him to Hakim Warrick, which seems like a stretch but suggests he's an athlete in the mold that we prefer], and he "only" ends up as a guy who excels at the dirty work -- sign me up.

Also seems like he's a developing but solid mid-range shooter. Fine by me.

I also like the fact that he's starting his senior year of HS weighing 210 pounds. We bring in too many big men recruits who are on the wrong side of 200. Not hard to envision this kid being 220+ in a year or two, and suited for inside play.

Yeah, I have ZERO problem with us picking up a banger, who actually seems to LIKE to bang inside.

OSB and Q both got too concerned with their NBA auditions, and got away from what made them most effective for THE TEAM.

And frankly - I think that was a big part of Roberson's issues too.
He didn't have NBA PF measurables, so he fancied himself a "3" - when he didn't have one iota of the ball, handling, & shooting skills to be an actual Small Forward.
"Plugged-in" Robey was a MONSTER on the boards (ask the Cameron Crazies about that), and also a solid contributor on O, with putbacks and dunks.

Maliq was literally a top 100 player just a year ago today. Not sure at all why they dropped him
maliq brown.png

Interesting that he consistently kept dropping over 100+ spots, when did he switch to the adidas circuit?

Chinoso Obokoh - 180
Bourama Sidibe - 190
Robert Braswell - 151
Jesse Edwards - 198
John Bol Ajak - 480
Frank Anselem - 201

Not sure if you made that last part up or just going by memory but unless you are specifically going off of who they may have tweeted out as a top 5 and including only those 3 programs, then that's definitely nowhere near correct. They all had major conference offers. Sidibe and Frank had a ton, but even Ajak had a handful. Who knows what is/was committable but we don't know what is for Maliq either so can only use the same info. So if we're going by offers then here's the lists...

Chinoso Obokoh - 180 - TEXAS/VILLANOVA
Bourama Sidibe - 190 - Tons of major offers, UConn, GTown, Maryland, Oklahoma, Texas, Ark, Cincy, OSU, Az St
Robert Braswell - 151 - OK St
Jesse Edwards - 198 - GT
John Bol Ajak - 480 - Pitt, UConn, Georgetown, Villanova, WF
Frank Anselem - 201 - Arizona, LSU, Alabama, Florida, Kansas and about 20 others.

Not sure if you made that last part up or just going by memory but unless you are specifically going off of who they may have tweeted out as a top 5 and including only those 3 programs, then that's definitely nowhere near correct. They all had major conference offers. Sidibe and Frank had a ton, but even Ajak had a handful. Who knows what is/was committable but we don't know what is for Maliq either so can only use the same info. So if we're going by offers then here's the lists...

Bourama Sidibe - 190 - Tons of major offers, UConn, GTown, Maryland, Oklahoma, Texas, Ark, Cincy, OSU, Az St
Jesse Edwards - 198 - GT
Frank Anselem - 201 - Arizona, LSU, Alabama, Florida, Kansas and about 20 others.

Looking at the rankings more closely [didn't pick up on this above], I'm flat out shocked that Sidibe was rated lower than Obokoh. I get why we recruited Obokoh, as an extension of goodwill to make us more appealing to his former HS teammate, Thomas Bryant. He was also a great student, great kid, who wasn't a plus athlete but battled hard inside. So you roll the dice. Just didn't work out.

But Sidibe played on a nationally ranked team [I believe], and made his bones in head-to-head matchups against several other top 100 rated bigs. His ranking makes no sense to me whatsoever. Certainly not as a guy rated roughly 200. His offer list seems to back up that misalignment.

Last edited:

Jesse Edwards - 198 - GT

are you listing alleged offers or actual hats on the table? Because Brown has a more offers including aTm and Wake. The schools I listed are the schools he’s actually deciding btw including pedo state.

Ajak and Frank have a lot of potential but still think Browns tape and athleticism is better.

Hope that's the case but CJ was a 4 star in the 80s and we had to beat out Florida, Louisville and Maryland to get him.

Ron Patterson - 175
Chinoso Obokoh - 180
Bourama Sidibe - 190
Howard Washington - 289
Robert Braswell - 151
Buddy Boeheim - 349
Jesse Edwards - 198
Joe Girard - 202
John Bol Ajak - 480
Frank Anselem - 201

Chances aren't great that guys ranked down there are going to turn into rotation players unless they are unathletic, local white guys.

Other thing you can see is just how many of these guys we now have. Half of our scholarship guys on this years roster are on that list compared to only having 2 of them total in the 1st half of the years that I looked at.

I think I previously posted this.

List of SU recruits by 247 ranking coming out of high school. Some low ranked guys:

Dolejaz 111
Quincy 121
Triche 122
Brissett 137
Sidibe 190
Jesse Edwards 198
Arinze 201
Girard 202
Buddy 349
Rautins NR

Ron Patterson - 175
Chinoso Obokoh - 180
Bourama Sidibe - 190
Howard Washington - 289
Robert Braswell - 151
Buddy Boeheim - 349
Jesse Edwards - 198
Joe Girard - 202
John Bol Ajak - 480
Frank Anselem - 201

Anselem was rated much better, then dropped due to his reclass.

Anselem was rated much better, then dropped due to his reclass.

THIS. 144%.

He was like a Top-60 guy in his original class ('21), but then got dropped when he reclassed to '20, since there were a lot of other good Bigs in that class.

THIS. 144%.

He was like a Top-60 guy in his original class ('21), but then got dropped when he reclassed to '20, since there were a lot of other good Bigs in that class.
Anselem is explosive, bet Sidibe and him share a lot of time this season, especially if Sidibe is plagued with Injuries.

Anselem is explosive, bet Sidibe and him share a lot of time this season, especially if Sidibe is plagued with Injuries.

I'd be flat out shocked / surprised if Edwards doesn't start. IF Sidibe can avoid injuries and be available, I'd assume he gets the backup minutes in the pivot. Which would be a nice luxury - to have two starting caliber centers with experience.

Anselem is probably still a year away, based upon reports.

I'd be flat out shocked / surprised if Edwards doesn't start. IF Sidibe can avoid injuries and be available, I'd assume he gets the backup minutes in the pivot. Which would be a nice luxury - to have two starting caliber centers with experience.

I could see where Anselam sees minutes later in the year relative to development. Hopefully Sidibe can be the primary backup.

Also I realize Sidibe is practicing and JB mentioned he is up and down but knee injuries that have persisted for 4 years generally don't take a year off. Hope I'm wrong but feels a lot like Dajuan's situation where He can give us something every now and then

Edwards is the starter, I was assuming we already knew that

You'd hope but its certainly in JBs wheelhouse to start the SR who has started a lot of games even if he gets less mins than Edwards overall.

Don’t be surprised if Frank is playing the 4.

here's what you said:

SimonSays said:

Didn't see any mention about Edwards. Not sure how Edwards starting with Sidibe backing him up = "Sidibe and [Anselem] share a lot of time this season..."

People be crazy not to be excited about this kid. A defense first, lunch pail guy that gets up and down the court, block shots with both hands and likes to score inside and jam the ball? Yes please

So if JB is still the coach it sounds like there’s a decent chance he will be our small ball center! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom