Matthew Moyer | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

Who's that?!!?

Was Robey better in HS than he is now? Hit 3's, dribble drive and converting, jumpers, handling the ball...where has any of that been?
I know it's a highlight package, but your right. Outside of a couple alley oops, he did none of what was in this video in four years at Cuse!

Who's that?!!?

Was Robey better in HS than he is now? Hit 3's, dribble drive and converting, jumpers, handling the ball...where has any of that been?

Unfortunately that's why I posted it. Roberson looked amazing out of high school and he had a very solid career here. Moyer is going to be a solid player for us as well, but expectations need to be toned down a bit before he hits the floor. I really doubt he plays much next year with who we know is coming back.

Unfortunately that's why I posted it. Roberson looked amazing out of high school and he had a very solid career here. Moyer is going to be a solid player for us as well, but expectations need to be toned down a bit before he hits the floor. I really doubt he plays much next year with who we know is coming back.
We have nobody coming back! Especially at the 3/4. We have Thompson, who may not have the quickness to play the wing and...our 2 recruits.

He's going to have to play, even after we add our grad transfers.

We have nobody coming back! Especially at the 3/4. We have Thompson, who may not have the quickness to play the wing and...our 2 recruits.

He's going to have to play, even after we add our grad transfers.

He's a 4, if he plays the 3 more than 10 minutes a game I'm going to guess we have a sub .500 record.

He's a 4, if he plays the 3 more than 10 minutes a game I'm going to guess we have a sub .500 record.

Maybe we should hold off on the predictions until he gets a little time on the floor. Its a bit premature to draw conclusions on Moyer. I like that hes an intelegent kid with a year under his belt, he will know the zone and his assignments both offensively and defensely. Give him a chance he may be able to grow into the 3 next year for us

Maybe we should hold off on the predictions until he gets a little time on the floor. Its a bit premature to draw conclusions on Moyer. I like that hes an intelegent kid with a year under his belt, he will know the zone and his assignments both offensively and defensely. Give him a chance he may be able to grow into the 3 next year for us

Do you know how difficult it is to transition from a 4 to a 3? The positions are nothing alike and the skill set difference is huge.

Why don't we let him grow at his current position, the one he's most suited for, instead of expecting he'll be a three. There isn't one part of his game that's a three.

Do you know how difficult it is to transition from a 4 to a 3? The positions are nothing alike and the skill set difference is huge.

Why don't we let him grow at his current position, the one he's most suited for, instead of expecting he'll be a three. There isn't one part of his game that's a three.
I agree with this. I think Moyer could be a really good 4. I went back and watched his tape from South Kent and noticed a huge jump in his game from the previous year. Moyer had a whole year to workout and learn the system, I expect him to be a very effective player next year. If Lydon came back could you get away with TT, Lydon and Moyer playing together? None of the are a traditional three but the all seem to have versatility and would be a huge back line.

Yeah, he's not a 3. Technically, he could play the 3 in the zone, but offensively, it'll be an issue. Maybe if Lydon returns and plays on the perimeter in our half court O, MM could play along the baseline or something with Thompson. Doubtful though. Can't have so few ball handlers on the court for an extended period.

Somebody explain the difference between a 3 and a 4 in Cuse's system for me. Absolutely none on defense. On offense we have really been playing 2 offguards the last couple of years but we've had some very productive 4's as well. Guess the only attribute you want to see in a three and not necessarily in a four is the ability to put the ball on the floor and penetrate. Not critical enough to determine the results of an entire season IMHO. Were CJ and KrisJo 3's or 4's? Blackwell? Burgan? Wallace?

Somebody explain the difference between a 3 and a 4 in Cuse's system for me. Absolutely none on defense. On offense we have really been playing 2 offguards the last couple of years but we've had some very productive 4's as well. Guess the only attribute you want to see in a three and not necessarily in a four is the ability to put the ball on the floor and penetrate. Not critical enough to determine the results of an entire season IMHO. Were CJ and KrisJo 3's or 4's? Blackwell? Burgan? Wallace?

Talking about offense, also creates an issue on defense if you have two guys who don't move as quick as a three would on both sides of the back of the zone. You don't see how that could be an issue?

I would say a '3' in our system has to do some driving, slashing, rebounding and outside scoring. We saw Lydon unable to play this role because he can't drive or create his own shot. Ideally, you want the guy that can do it all, but I think we could survive in Moyer was a 3, but we need him to be able to shoot jump shots. You want this guy to be athletic and quicker than your 4, as well. Again, Lydon wasn't that.

Mali was a good 3 for our offensive system last year because he could do it all, but he was more shooting guard than small forward. He played admirably on D.

I would say a '3' in our system has to do some driving, slashing, rebounding and outside scoring. We saw Lydon unable to play this role because he can't drive or create his own shot. Ideally, you want the guy that can do it all, but I think we could survive in Moyer was a 3, but we need him to be able to shoot jump shots. You want this guy to be athletic and quicker than your 4, as well. Again, Lydon wasn't that.

Mali was a good 3 for our offensive system last year because he could do it all, but he was more shooting guard than small forward. He played admirably on D.

Absolutely agree considering the lack of penetration we've seen from our guards the last few years.

I think Moyer COULD play 3 but it'd be far from optimal and would only occur in a last resort situation. He's much more suited to the 4 position.

Talking about offense, also creates an issue on defense if you have two guys who don't move as quick as a three would on both sides of the back of the zone. You don't see how that could be an issue?

I'm saying absolutely no difference in responsibility between the left wing and right wing on defense. Opponent's offense does not operate that way. I think both wings need to be quick, strong weak side help defenders and rebounders. Have to get out on the perimeter shooters in corners and extended, have to get back and defend baseline, have to give weak side help when the 5 is pulled away from the basket. Maybe I'm wrong but I've seen White and Robey on both sides of the court.

Agree completely here. Unfortunately didn't see Lydon thrive in a stretch 4 role either on offense this year. Just saying I don't think a forward rotation of Lydon. Moyer and Brissett (might even see some TT as a 4) would necessarily doom us to a dub .500 season next year.

Agree completely here. Unfortunately didn't see Lydon thrive in a stretch 4 role either on offense this year. Just saying I don't think a forward rotation of Lydon. Moyer and Brissett (might even see some TT as a 4) would necessarily doom us to a dub .500 season next year.
The only thing that could "necessarily doom us" is next year's PG. Any way you slice it, that's our biggest need.

The only thing that could "necessarily doom us" is next year's PG. Any way you slice it, that's our biggest need.

The 3 is important as well and we don't have one. Remember Lydon playing the 3 earlier this year?

Absolutely agree considering the lack of penetration we've seen from our guards the last few years.

I think Moyer COULD play 3 but it'd be far from optimal and would only occur in a last resort situation. He's much more suited to the 4 position.

White COULD play the 2 and Lydon COULD play the 3.

White COULD play the 2 and Lydon COULD play the 3.
Im talking out of necessity. Unfortunately we aren't a very privileged team in the small forward area and no amount of complaining/sarcasm can change that.

Im talking out of necessity. Unfortunately we aren't a very privileged team in the small forward area and no amount of complaining/sarcasm can change that.

And throwing a guy out of position doesn't change our outlook for the future. There's a lot of problems with this program right now but 50% of the base doesn't want to admit that.

And throwing a guy out of position doesn't change our outlook for the future. There's a lot of problems with this program right now but 50% of the base doesn't want to admit that.
I'm patiently waiting for JB to step down which in my opinion is now 2 years overdue, but that's an unpopular opinion on this board. So, in the meanwhile, I'll try my best to be cautiously optimistic.

It would be a miracle at this point to make the Tourney next year. Let's see if they can pull off some magic. We have to build, though. I hope Washington signs. Let's get guys who want to be here that work to get better. Washington, Moyer, Brissett, Sidibe. We need a 2 guard, and a 3. We have to be realistic, and build for 2019-2020.

It would be a miracle at this point to make the Tourney next year. Let's see if they can pull off some magic. We have to build, though. I hope Washington signs. Let's get guys who want to be here that work to get better. Washington, Moyer, Brissett, Sidibe. We need a 2 guard, and a 3. We have to be realistic, and build for 2019-2020.
Miracle? I'd say we could have potentially 3 players not on the radar yet, who play big minutes next year. Way too early to make that assertion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom