Class of 2018 - PF Nate Roberts (MD / NH) Commits to Washington | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Nate Roberts (MD / NH) Commits to Washington

We are feeling good, have had Big Nate headed Orange for months, going back to before June when he had a visit with us but had to cancel. He played VERY well when we watched him play last week - STUD, tremendous upside, 6'11 beast, I do think he is the type of kid who 1 game is going PRO and the next game is going to China, but that can be changed, ATHLETIC man - wow at his size - he is perfect fit

Good to hear and very positive, but any idea why he was so mediocre/invisible on the summer circuit then?

I know. When was the last time UW had a kid drafted.

I follow recruiting, but maybe to a fault, I mostly pay attention to the schools a prospect is being recruited by and where he's rated. With that being said, neither UW nor UN are your usual suspects when it comes to the higher end hoops programs. Obviously, UW is in his final 3 because of Hop. I believe from what I read, Roberts is not rated in the top 100. So, with SU generally being thought of as an Elite level program, I can see where a less informed fan as myself may not be so pumped, at least at the moment, based upon the thought that if he was a 'labeled' a high level recruit, why doesn't he rank higher or why aren't other 'top tier' type programs after him? Now, JB & co. wouldn't offer/go after him so hard if they didn't see something they really like, but we have missed on recruits lately (from a valuation standpoint, recent transfers, etc.) and a somewhat longer history on - big guy - evaluation misses.

JB was super impressed with him last week, I believe in our staff, they like his upside and I do not bet the ranch based on rankings.
AAU performance/stats for BIG MEN are different than guards, especially in the big tournaments, they do not get the touches.

I am hoping for a KOFI Christmas 2019

I follow recruiting, but maybe to a fault, I mostly pay attention to the schools a prospect is being recruited by and where he's rated. With that being said, neither UW nor UN are your usual suspects when it comes to the higher end hoops programs. Obviously, UW is in his final 3 because of Hop. I believe from what I read, Roberts is not rated in the top 100. So, with SU generally being thought of as an Elite level program, I can see where a less informed fan as myself may not be so pumped, at least at the moment, based upon the thought that if he was a 'labeled' a high level recruit, why doesn't he rank higher or why aren't other 'top tier' type programs after him? Now, JB & co. wouldn't offer/go after him so hard if they didn't see something they really like, but we have missed on recruits lately (from a valuation standpoint, recent transfers, etc.) and a somewhat longer history on - big guy - evaluation misses.
Roberts is a kid that will need to develop in the program. We can use the word project or whatever you like but he has a good amount of upside. I'm sure they like his upside and think we have good forward depth with Bazely coming in and hopefully OB back for year 2 with Moyer. Then we can develop Roberts. According to iommi I believe the staff sees him as a 5. I don't but trust the staff.

Regarding UW they have had a kid drafted in the 1st round of like 5 of the last 6 years. Fultz, Chriss and Murray to name 3. I can't remember the exact year but Terrance Ross was drafted and they had IT go in the 2nd round and he could get a max deal if his hip ends up being ok. They have also been a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. I believe 2004. I'm not saying their an elite program and they really struggled the last few years but I would not lump them in with Nebraska when it comes to college basketball. I agree that the only reason they are in the conversation is because of Hop.

Roberts is a kid that will need to develop in the program. We can use the word project or whatever you like but he has a good amount of upside. I'm sure they like his upside and think we have good forward depth with Bazely coming in and hopefully OB back for year 2 with Moyer. Then we can develop Roberts. According to iommi I believe the staff sees him as a 5. I don't but trust the staff.

Regarding UW they have had a kid drafted in the 1st round of like 5 of the last 6 years. Fultz, Chriss and Murray to name 3. I can't remember the exact year but Terrance Ross was drafted and they had IT go in the 2nd round and he could get a max deal if his hip ends up being ok. They have also been a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. I believe 2004. I'm not saying their an elite program and they really struggled the last few years but I would not lump them in with Nebraska when it comes to college basketball. I agree that the only reason they are in the conversation is because of Hop.

I appreciate your response...thank you.

JB was super impressed with him last week, I believe in our staff, they like his upside and I do not bet the ranch based on rankings.
AAU performance/stats for BIG MEN are different than guards, especially in the big tournaments, they do not get the touches.

I am hoping for a KOFI Christmas 2019

Oh man, me too re: Kofi. He's got that low post game like Jahlil Okafor. Plays with a nasty streak too.

Good to hear and very positive, but any idea why he was so mediocre/invisible on the summer circuit then?

He couldn't stay on the court because he was constantly in foul trouble.

Who is Kareem?
images

Yeah, I don't understand why people are so down on this kid. Seems like an ideal fit for the zone.

Yeah, I don't understand why people are so down on this kid. Seems like an ideal fit for the zone.
I don't think people are that down on him, they're just not sure what to make of him. Usually we'd throw out lazy comparisons to Sean Williams and stuff, but that doesn't work in this case.

I don't think people are that down on him, they're just not sure what to make of him. Usually we'd throw out lazy comparisons to Sean Williams and stuff, but that doesn't work in this case.

I guess so - saw a bunch of "I'd rather us get Carrigan" posts. I actually like Roberts a lot and think he could be a very good player for us.

I guess so - saw a bunch of "I'd rather us get Carrigan" posts. I actually like Roberts a lot and think he could be a very good player for us.
I would rather have Carrigan but that doesn't mean I don't want Roberts at all. I think they are also very different players and if we had a choice between an elite shot blocker to pair with Sidibe at the 5 or a kid that is a good rebounder who can run the floor and has a lot of offense upside I would pick the shot blocker for next years roster.

I will believe Kofi what I see it. There is just so much competition for him. We are trying but it is going to be tough.
What if we have all the best complimentary pieces?
I can dream.

I will believe Kofi what I see it. There is just so much competition for him. We are trying but it is going to be tough.

Oh I don't think we're getting him but one can hope.

One thing that shines through in his videos clips -- this kid can REALLY run the floor. He's a gazelle.

Love lefty bigs, too.

Kid has a lot of potential - especially given that he is going through / just underwent a growth spurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom