Class of 2020 - PF Noah Collier | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Noah Collier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, you shouldn't take three players who play the same position. But I don't think they do.

They all provide different skill sets - Jackson is more of a 2/3 whereas Collier & Newton more 3/4.

There’s essentially no difference between 3 & 4 in our system anyway.

Jackson will never play the 2 here if he comes. In fact the NBA top 100 camp listed him as a 4.

Agreed, you shouldn't take three players who play the same position. But I don't think they do.

They all provide different skill sets - Jackson is more of a 2/3 whereas Collier & Newton more 3/4.

There’s essentially no difference between 3 & 4 in our system anyway.
I am unmoved.

They are all clearly 3s. They might be able to play elsewhere effectively in a few years, but they are 3s. I think taking 3 players at the same position in the same class is foolish.

But I could be wrong.

Personally Id like to see them go after a true center if there was a scholarship available

I recall we brought in Kris Joseph, James Southerland, and Mookie Jones - all SF’s - in the same class.

They had different games/skill sets and I believe Mookie got some time at the 2(hard to remember - he didn’t play a lot).

Two of the three had really good careers here though.

I recall we brought in Kris Joseph, James Southerland, and Mookie Jones - all SF’s - in the same class.

They had different games/skill sets and I believe Mookie got some time at the 2(hard to remember - he didn’t play a lot).

Two of the three had really good careers here though.
James didn't qualify after HS and had to sit out a year in prep school before he could enroll. He was a year behind Mookie and Kris.

It was fortunate that the three were able to break up into two years for all concerned.

2008–09 Syracuse Orange men's basketball team - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I am unmoved.

They are all clearly 3s. They might be able to play elsewhere effectively in a few years, but they are 3s. I think taking 3 players at the same position in the same class is foolish.

But I could be wrong.

So... I guess I don't fully agree. Collier to me seems like primarily an inside player, just a big on the "smaller" side. Newton seems like a 3 now in terms of his versatility, but with a body that a la Jerami Grant could blossom and land him at 4.

It remains to be seen whether they have complimentary skills sets, or are basically like-for-like. I'll certainly grant you that.

But if the coaches like them, then I don't worry about who they bring in. Land the players, and let the rest sort itself out in practice.

I kind of like the idea of Collier / Newton covering ground on the wings of the zone.

My issue with going after all 3 is none of them are good shooters right now and you can't win if you can't shoot anymore.. Newton is probably the best of the 3 at shooting, but hes just average there. Jackson is the most athletic and has the best overall game. Collier is solid, but probably has the lowest upside of the 3.

They are all good players, but none of them are good enough to put SU in the top 3-4 in the ACC.

This I completely agree with - and it really infuriates me that we haven’t landed a Top 20 type player in such a long time. You’d think by way of luck we would...

Last edited:
The sad part is they all will think they can jump to the league after a year or two. They won’t even be around for four years.

SU has struggled since the sanctions started. Losing Hop was a huge blow. Gmac had a nice win with Joe and i believe will land Jackson. Red has always been solid and hopefully Griff picks it up. JBs age doesn't help so it is what it is. We definitely miss Hop but it looks like we are making strides.

The sad part is they all will think they can jump to the league after a year or two. They won’t even be around for four years.
Yes but they will all probably be millionaires and so I’m not sure they care. The NBA burns more money than the government on guys that average less than 3 points per game for their careers.
I hate the NBA

I can see us taking Newton and Jackson, or Newton and Collier, but no way all three.

If Collier wants to commit before Jackson is ready to make a decision, does Syracuse accept it and cut ties to Jackson?
If we're taking two Forwards in the class I'm thinking this will be Dolezajs last year.

Yes but they will all probably be millionaires and so I’m not sure they care. The NBA burns more money than the government on guys that average less than 3 points per game for their careers.
I hate the NBA

lol

For those who have seen him play -- I'm picturing a Chevy Troutman type of game. -- accurate or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom