Oshae Brissett | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett

And maybe, just maybe, OB will use his Jamaican roots to help with the recruitment of Isaiah Stewart from Rochester.

Good article here: Syracuse basketball recruit Oshae Brissett 'fits the mold' of Orange wing players (video)

Some key points related to current topic:
"Adrian Autry, who was his primary recruiter, told him he could impact the Orange defensively in his first season in Syracuse because he could "jump passing lanes and block shots from the weak side."

"In its Canadian basketball league, Athlete Institute plays from the FIBA 3-point distance of 22 feet, 2 inches, which has helped stretch Brissett's shooting range. (The American high school 3-point line measures 19-9 and the NCAA 3-point line measures 20-9.)"

I think those 2 quotes in particular signal that OB will play the 3 at Cuse, which will allow TB to stay at 2 with TT/MM at the 4. We still need another 3 either Tucker or Grad Xfer.

Agree that he is a 3 just think he will need a year to transition into a major contributor, would feel better with Tucker on board.

And maybe, just maybe, OB will use his Jamaican roots to help with the recruitment of Isaiah Stewart from Rochester.

Good article here: Syracuse basketball recruit Oshae Brissett 'fits the mold' of Orange wing players (video)

Some key points related to current topic:
"Adrian Autry, who was his primary recruiter, told him he could impact the Orange defensively in his first season in Syracuse because he could "jump passing lanes and block shots from the weak side."

"In its Canadian basketball league, Athlete Institute plays from the FIBA 3-point distance of 22 feet, 2 inches, which has helped stretch Brissett's shooting range. (The American high school 3-point line measures 19-9 and the NCAA 3-point line measures 20-9.)"

I think those 2 quotes in particular signal that OB will play the 3 at Cuse, which will allow TB to stay at 2 with TT/MM at the 4. We still need another 3 either Tucker or Grad Xfer.

Agree that he is a 3 just think he will need a year to transition into a major contributor, would feel better with Tucker on board.

He's got a LONG way to go in terms of the development of his offensive game before he'll be able to play the 3, realistically. He definitely has the athleticism and might develop into a wing down the road, but he's much more of an inside / attack the basket player now. The shooting in and of itself doesn't make him a SF when the other skill sets are lacking, just like it didn't make Lydon a 3 this past season.

Need to land Tucker.

Oshae actually reminds me a lot of Bell from Oregon [obviously, that guy is bigger / stronger / older]. If he impacts the game half as much as Bell does, we're going to have a quality player.

Last edited:
He's got a LONG way to go in terms of the development of his offensive game before he'll be able to play the 3, realistically. He definitely has the athleticism and might develop into a wing down the road, but he's much more of an inside / attack the basket player now. The shooting in and of itself doesn't make him a SF when the other skill sets are lacking, just like it didn't make Lydon a 3 this past season.

Need to land Tucker.

Oshae actually reminds me a lot of Bell from Oregon [obviously, that guy is bigger / stronger / older]. If he impacts the game half as much as Bell does, we're going to have a quality player.

Who was the last guy that came in developmentally as a 4 and was able to transition/develop into a serviceable 3? Maybe Fair; Kris Joseph am I missing someone obvious. It doesn't seem to me that it is really that easy a transition to make.

Who was the last guy that came in developmentally as a 4 and was able to transition/develop into a serviceable 3? Maybe Fair; Kris Joseph am I missing someone obvious. It doesn't seem to me that it is really that easy a transition to make.
You are right, it is a difficult transition. But, just judging by videos from last year to this year, he has put in a lot of work and developed a nice looking jump shot. I wouldn't be shocked to see him develop his handle, although ball handling seems to be something you've either got, or you don't. Hopefully his handle becomes serviceable, because it would be great to have a guy at his size and athleticism at the 3.

Wes?

I view it the other way -- those were guys who had the baseline skills to play 3, but also the capability to play bigger [especially as rebounders]. In my opinion / experience, that is generally easier to do for the type of athletes we land than players with the skill sets of a 4 trying to play "smaller" and do the things traditionally expected offensively from SFs.

Agree 100% with your last sentence, as well.

Not sure who mentioned him, but Barrett is an absolute stud. All the big boys are in the mix for him and he'll be very hard to get. But he would the best player we have had since Carmelo.

Not sure who mentioned him, but Barrett is an absolute stud. All the big boys are in the mix for him and he'll be very hard to get. But he would the best player we have had since Carmelo.

syracuse is a big boy.

I know that a lot of our fans aren't excited about Brissett and Sidibe, but I think most are going to be extremely surprised by what we landed last fall. Both of these guys project to be studs in our system.
I don't know if I'd say our fans aren't excited about them, but rather they are concerned about the pieces we didn't add and the holes we still have. That's where I sit.

I like Brissett's tape. He looks athletic, moves well and can do a bit of everything offensively. I don't expect a big impact right away, but there is a lot to work with with him. He is listed a 6'6", so that might be the concern. He's got a PF type game, but a SF body, so we'll see how his role develops here. He would've paired nice with a player like Lydon at Forward, as their skills would've complemented each other nicely.

Sidibe has a chance to play right away. If he can handle Center and proves capable, he should quickly move ahead of Chukwu, IMO. I'm hoping he's a legit 6'10" and will be a shot blocker.

I don't know if I'd say our fans aren't excited about them, but rather they are concerned about the pieces we didn't add and the holes we still have. That's where I sit.

I like Brissett's tape. He looks athletic, moves well and can do a bit of everything offensively. I don't expect a big impact right away, but there is a lot to work with with him. He is listed a 6'6", so that might be the concern. He's got a PF type game, but a SF body, so we'll see how his role develops here. He would've paired nice with a player like Lydon at Forward, as their skills would've complemented each other nicely.

Sidibe has a chance to play right away. If he can handle Center and proves capable, he should quickly move ahead of Chukwu, IMO. I'm hoping he's a legit 6'10" and will be a shot blocker.

Brissett is at least 6'8" now. He's just a bit shorter than Melo - they were photgraphed together the nite O'SB verballed.

Maybe I'm crazy, and I certainly have not watched Brissett outside of his highlights, but what about his game has him "labelled" as someone with a 4's skill set and game? Where did that narrative come from? Has that been shared by posters that have watched him in full games? Or, is it an assumption that has just gained momentum on the board? If it is from posters who have observed him play, great, than I stand corrected in what I'll post next.

In the clips I've seen Brissett can rebound and push the ball on his own, handles it relatively well, slashes from the perimeter with athleticism, hits outside shots with decent form, etc. Does he play back to the basket and I just haven't seen it? Is he banging around in the post regularly? We are coming off of a season with perhaps the worst ball handling 3 we've ever had in White. Have you ever seen a player with more awkward/basic handle then White, ever? Yet, everybody agreed he was a 3 with elite shooting ability, even though he lacked in other areas. I would think that Brissett quite easily has better handle than White does, with less shooting ability (more athleticism), yet it's assumed he needs to improve drastically to be a 3... I don't see how that's the case. Agree or disagree? I'd like to hear more on Brissett's "4" label

Maybe I'm crazy, and I certainly have not watched Brissett outside of his highlights, but what about his game has him "labelled" as someone with a 4's skill set and game? Where did that narrative come from? Has that been shared by posters that have watched him in full games? Or, is it an assumption that has just gained momentum on the board? If it is from posters who have observed him play, great, than I stand corrected in what I'll post next.

In the clips I've seen Brissett can rebound and push the ball on his own, handles it relatively well, slashes from the perimeter with athleticism, hits outside shots with decent form, etc. Does he play back to the basket and I just haven't seen it? Is he banging around in the post regularly? We are coming off of a season with perhaps the worst ball handling 3 we've ever had in White. Have you ever seen a player with more awkward/basic handle then White, ever? Yet, everybody agreed he was a 3 with elite shooting ability, even though he lacked in other areas. I would think that Brissett quite easily has better handle than White does, with less shooting ability (more athleticism), yet it's assumed he needs to improve drastically to be a 3... I don't see how that's the case. Agree or disagree? I'd like to hear more on Brissett's "4" label

It is DEFINITELY from people who have watched him play.

It isn't a label. This is starting to feel like last season, when many wanted to believe that Battle was a lead guard and White was a 2, and shot the messenger for not saying what they want to hear. Nobody has to take information that is provided exclusively at face value. Figure out who the posters are that you want to trust with respect to recruiting, and pay attention to what they are saying. That will answer a lot of your questions and help you filter through a lot of the noise. You can also find game film online of him quite easily, if you want to gauge for yourself.

Like White, he doesn't handle the ball at all. Being able to hit a shot when open [which is what Brissett is showing improved ability to do] is different than being able to hit contested shots, or being a knock down shooter from all areas of the floor, which White was. For all of his limitations, he had a tremendous skill that he was able to use to offset lacking in other areas. Brissett's main skill is putting his head down and using quickness to beat his man on a quick move to attack the rim. That doesn't mean that he has refined ball handling skills right now, or that he can break his man down effectively. He is a runner / rebounder / rejector type, who despite being skinny is aggressive trying to finish inside. He doesn't have a back to the basket game. He gets knocked down a lot, but gets to the line a lot due to being a high energy guy. Might he develop into a more well rounded offensive player? Sure--anything's possible. But coming into college, he projects as more of a natural 4 than a 3.

Neither he nor Moyer are well suited right now to excel playing extended minutes at the 3 next season. It would be a bad thing for the team if those are the two guys that we have to rely upon to man that spot offensively next season. That could certainly change in the future if the players work hard to develop, actualilze their potential, etc. I don't discount that possibility--but my viewpoint about "4" vs. "3" is based upon what they can do now, and our needs next season, not what they might be in 3 years.

Last edited:
His handle actually looks half way decent from the tape? He has quite a few highlights of him taking it to the rim off the dribble and going up and down the court..not saying he has superior handle skills but not sure why people that have watched tape on him think he has no handle? Heck do people remember Kris Joseph how horrible his handle was initially..every time he put the ball on the floor he either traveled or bounced it off his foot etc...not saying he should be our 3 either but I think he has a little more all around skills then people are giving him credit for. Then again that's just my opinion which means squat :)

Heck do people remember Kris Joseph how horrible his handle was initially..every time he put the ball on the floor he either traveled or bounced it off his foot etc...

Man do I, the dribble off the foot was inevitable! I see the, White had THE worst handle I've seen at the 3. I'd panic every time he tried to dribble and also was the worst passer I can remember there. The thing was, he was light's out on his j. So it gets confusing. Not really seeing Brisett at the 3 though...yet.

If we could just have consistent minutes at center from a guy who's actually a center I'd be happy. Doesn't even matter if he does anything on offense. Just eat 30 minutes and keep Boeheim from moving our power forward into that spot and shaking up the lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom