Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the same talk with the big at Bonnies now and he would be dominating for us…..
I don't know if that's necessarily true. I think Osunniyi showed flashes of being a dominant defensive player from his HS tape and signed early to an Atlantic 10 school. Many schools were done with their cycle by the time he came free on May 2.

Maybe he is underrated. Maybe he's very good. But this early in the process to take a kid that only has those offers is a bit concerning, especially given we have so many spots available. Again, just my opinion. I've been wrong before.

That's good, because he seems like he's got good tools.

I know some will be disappointed because he's a late add to our list of kids we're recruiting, and because he doesn't seem to have modern day perimeter skills some want from a big man -- but I think this kid could be a multi-year starter, and someone who has better inside offensive potential than many of the other bigs we've brought in.
You said good tools...

That article quoted his coach as saying he dominated a top 60 player - does anyone know who that top 60 player was?

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I think Osunniyi showed flashes of being a dominant defensive player from his HS tape and signed early to an Atlantic 10 school. Many schools were done with their cycle by the time he came free on May 2.

Maybe he is underrated. Maybe he's very good. But this early in the process to take a kid that only has those offers is a bit concerning, especially given we have so many spots available. Again, just my opinion. I've been wrong before.

I get what you are saying, but I don’t think this guy was found until this year which is extremely late to be discovered as a prospect.

You’re certainly wrong if you consider this to be “early in the process” for the Class of 2022. About 65% of the top 100 of the class has already committed and by early signing day in two months that number will be around 85%. Wrap up 2022 and focus 100% on 2023 before Thanksgiving.

Need to see more of him but Carey looks like an impact freshman if we get him. Great athlete, good defender and the chops to be a good finisher and rebounder. Offensive game is the most raw part of most any freshman center's game but if he can be ready in the other aspects that would be great.

Need to see more of him but Carey looks like an impact freshman if we get him. Great athlete, good defender and the chops to be a good finisher and rebounder. Offensive game is the most raw part of most any freshman center's game but if he can be ready in the other aspects that would be great.
very raw offensively. Reminds me of Anselem a little bit

No doubt. It's all clip based but it appears his reaction time is a decent bit faster than Frank at the same level. Frank being such a great athlete got to blocks and rebounds but was late reacting. Faster reaction on blocks and rebounds as well as on the break speaks to Carey being a bit further ahead with respect to understanding positioning and just instincts.

Always hard to gauge from clips.

You’re certainly wrong if you consider this to be “early in the process” for the Class of 2022. About 65% of the top 100 of the class has already committed and by early signing day in two months that number will be around 85%. Wrap up 2022 and focus 100% on 2023 before Thanksgiving.
That may be true if you're looking at freshmen. However, with the transfer portal now a huge piece, it is still VERY early in the 2022 cycle if you consider the level.

Maybe the staff doesn't think they need a big man to compete right away for minutes. And maybe they think in 2 years, when he'll be needed, he's going to be better than what's out there.

I'm just saying the offer list for a September/October commitment is not normal for a school like Syracuse in men's basketball. I could be wrong about his ability. His film looks decent. Just his offer list doesn't match up.

Guys like Anselem and Carey are pure wildcards. These type of raw athletic guys sometimes develop to be more than leapers, fascinating dunkers (when not guarded), and potentially good shot blockers. We've seen these guys learn to develop skills over time, learn the nuances of the game (positioning, blocking out, mid range shot etc.). But we've also seen many who just never figure it out.

That's almost always the case with bigs. To my eye, Carey seems a little more polished, athletic/ fluid, and further along the developmental skill curve than a lot of bigs in HS.

From the very limited clips I've seen, he seems to have a pretty well developed offensive skill set at 6-11. Look past the dunks, and he is fluidly drop stepping over both shoulders and finishing with either hand, handles the ball in open court, there was even a clip of him shooting a jump shot in the lane with his left hand from about 8-10 feet with good form. Not sure about the range on his shot. The clear issue with him is going to be getting stronger.

Underrated

That may be true if you're looking at freshmen. However, with the transfer portal now a huge piece, it is still VERY early in the 2022 cycle if you consider the level.

Maybe the staff doesn't think they need a big man to compete right away for minutes. And maybe they think in 2 years, when he'll be needed, he's going to be better than what's out there.

I'm just saying the offer list for a September/October commitment is not normal for a school like Syracuse in men's basketball. I could be wrong about his ability. His film looks decent. Just his offer list doesn't match up.

All true -- but last year was an atypical year. No camps / AAU last year, and this kid was a late bloomer who wasn't well known before things shut down on a grand scale. I believe [someone keep me honest] that his AAU games this summer were the first time he was seen on a national stage, playing against other highly rated kids. So that probably explains why he was under the radar.

Normal non-COVID years, he might have gotten exposure the preceding summer. Not trying to rationalize the offer list, just makes sense why he might not have garnered more attention from more schools, if he wasn't a known commodity.

All true -- but last year was an atypical year. No camps / AAU last year, and this kid was a late bloomer who wasn't well known before things shut down on a grand scale. I believe [someone keep me honest] that his AAU games this summer were the first time he was seen on a national stage, playing against other highly rated kids. So that probably explains why he was under the radar.

Normal non-COVID years, he might have gotten exposure the preceding summer. Not trying to rationalize the offer list, just makes sense why he might not have garnered more attention from more schools, if he wasn't a known commodity.
Those are fair points.

I want to be clear - I think there is some upside and I hope we have found the diamond in the rough. Just isn't the normal recruit we take in the fall most years.

That's almost always the case with bigs. To my eye, Carey seems a little more polished, athletic/ fluid, and further along the developmental skill curve than a lot of bigs in HS.

From the very limited clips I've seen, he seems to have a pretty well developed offensive skill set at 6-11. Look past the dunks, and he is fluidly drop stepping over both shoulders and finishing with either hand, handles the ball in open court, there was even a clip of him shooting a jump shot in the lane with his left hand from about 8-10 feet with good form. Not sure about the range on his shot. The clear issue with him is going to be getting stronger.

Underrated
Totally agree. I like him ALOT and he will be a totally underrated get for us

I’d be very happy to get him. Could play as a freshman and would have some major upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.