Class of 2020 - PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Yes, I saw him live most recently at Session 1 in Atlanta. His J looks solid. Numbers to this point don't exactly show that, but he can score it from all 3 levels. Known more as a slasher that can get his own or create for others. Can also step out and knock down 3s to keep the D honest. 2-way player that can play either forward spot and guard multiple positions. Long and athletic so you know he'll fit well in the zone.
Sounds good. The kid is putting in some work.

What happened to our other PF target Noah Collier? Are we still pursuing him too?
Was talking to a couple of his HS teammates. He is good buddies with Jalen Gafney who'll be playing for UConn next year. Could be a battle with UConn for Noah.

Have you seen him live or any recent video of his jump shot? I saw a workout video, that I assume was a couple of years old, and the firm was scary.

I saw that video too and the form on his jump shot was very concerning. Hopefully, hes got some good low post moves.

I saw that video too and the form on his jump shot was very concerning. Hopefully, hes got some good low post moves.
McCallister over at that nameless site posted some stats from Dallas that Newton hit 5 of 11 from 3 from May 24 and May 26, so while his form may be lacking, it seems like there's something there to work with?

McCallister over at that nameless site posted some stats from Dallas that Newton hit 5 of 11 from 3 from May 24 and May 26, so while his form may be lacking, it seems like there's something there to work with?
His form would have to be better. He was starting his shot by bringing the ball up to the opposite shoulder. And that’s why it is a great sign that he is shooting better. It takes a lot of work to correct mechanics.

I haven’t seen this highlight video posted yet on this thread. Recent video from this past season, shows him hitting 3 threes (one from deeeeep off the dribble) and some nice drives to the basket. Form looks ok to me...brings his non shooting hand back a little bit after he takes it off the ball but his shooting hand release is sound with good extension and follow through. One thing I’ve noticed from watching a few videos of him is he gets good bend and is able to lower his center of gravity when slashing to the basket. Reminded me of Kris Joseph in that regard. I think he’s definitely more of a 3 than a 4, but can play both in our system. Will be a real nice pickup who will likely take a year to be ready but down the road could be an all ACC performer. I love that he views himself as the best defender in the country...means he takes pride in being a two way player.

I haven’t seen this highlight video posted yet on this thread. Recent video from this past season, shows him hitting 3 threes (one from deeeeep off the dribble) and some nice drives to the basket. Form looks ok to me...brings his non shooting hand back a little bit after he takes it off the ball but his shooting hand release is sound with good extension and follow through. One thing I’ve noticed from watching a few videos of him is he gets good bend and is able to lower his center of gravity when slashing to the basket. Reminded me of Kris Joseph in that regard. I think he’s definitely more of a 3 than a 4, but can play both in our system. Will be a real nice pickup who will likely take a year to be ready but down the road could be an all ACC performer. I love that he views himself as the best defender in the country...means he takes pride in being a two way player.
Love the defensive minded kids personally.

Just watched this and still feel his form is weird, mainly, his release looks funny to me, doesnt mean he cant shoot though, just less likely hes a good shooter

Just watched this and still feel his form is weird, mainly, his release looks funny to me, doesnt mean he cant shoot though, just less likely hes a good shooter
Devos form was weird

Woody is our most important recruit. If his handle continues to improve he can play the 3 and 4 for us. I think that his upside is significant and that he ends up being a great player for us.

Does anyone know the time and place Newton is supposed to announce today?
I’m surprised how little excitement this is causing on this board. We may get a top 100 recruit today and there are relative crickets.
I’m fired up. This is exactly the type of guy we need, a top 100, 4 star recruit with talent and athleticism who will grow and improve at Cuse and not bolt after one year. Guys like newton are how we should build this program while of course grabbing any rare 5 star not bullshitted by coach k or getting bags from Kentucky or the like.

2B068955-8601-4AA0-A809-583ADC0F540A.gif