Class of 2020 - PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

This means we are at 13 schollies assuming no one transfers (HWash or Bras) and Buddy stays on a scholarship

This scares me a bit cause I agree that we need an explosive type like Jackson.

Guerrier and Goodine are def at least 2 and done. Carey May have a shot after next year. But assuming that doesn’t happen we don’t get the prospect I was most excited about

This means we are at 13 schollies assuming no one transfers (HWash or Bras) and Buddy stays on a scholarship

Guerrier and Goodine are def at least 2 and done. Carey May have a shot after next year. But assuming that doesn’t happen we don’t get the prospect I was most excited about

These things ALWAYS have a way of working themselves out.

Always.

Dont worry about that at all.

Rafael...but yup.
The form on his jumper is similar to Raf’s. I think Woody is a little quicker and jumps better than Raf though.

Woody seems to be very fundamentally sound. Like his ability to shoot, his driving ability, his passing and it looks Ike he will be a good rebounder too. With his length, quickness and hops, he could be one of the best defenders we have ever had in the 2-3. The only weakness I see is that he is fairly thin. But he has a good frame and is already appears thicker than Braswell or Dolezaj. Very excited to have him on board.

"Syracuse is the best fit for me academically and/or basketball," Newton told . "Academically, it has the best communications program in the country, called the Newhouse (School of Public Communications). When it comes to the basketball side, I am a perfect fit for Syracuse basketball.”

“Syracuse is known for having long, lanky and skilled wings like myself. The relationship I have with the coaches just solidified everything with me. How they were there encouraging in good games and in bad, and telling me what I could do to impact the program more every time I touched the floor.”

And check that final line everyone...
The Orange remain in pursuit of other Rivals150 juniors such as Addison Patterson, Andre Jackson, and Elijah Hutchins-Everett.

We know Dre Day is next, but take another look..
Said it before, I'll say it again... Addi.

Corey just blowing smoke or are we actually pursuing Addison? Read recently that we haven’t been in touch in some time

The form on his jumper is similar to Raf’s. I think Woody is a little quicker and jumps better than Raf though.

Woody seems to be very fundamentally sound. Like his ability to shoot, his driving ability, his passing and it looks Ike he will be a good rebounder too. With his length, quickness and hops, he could be one of the best defenders we have ever had in the 2-3. The only weakness I see is that he is fairly thin. But he has a good frame and is already appears thicker than Braswell or Dolezaj. Very excited to have him on board.
You had me at - his ability to shoot, his driving ability, his passing and it looks like he will be a good rebounder too. With his length, quickness and hops, he could be one of the best defenders we have ever had in the 2-3.

Corey just blowing smoke or are we actually pursuing Addison? Read recently that we haven’t been in touch in some time
Jackson or Patterson who would you guys rather have?

Of the 3 kids we seem to be serious about this cycle, Woody looks like the best prospect to me. The other two are currently shooting really poorly at EYBL. I know we've already got lots of shooters on the team, but geez I'm sick of putting guys out there who can't score, just because they're "athletes". We're not playing "athletics", we're playing basketball.

As the immortal Kenny Powers would say, "I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."

Awesome. Reminded me of Rudy Gay. I hope we can get some semblance of that type of production. But, yeah, Raf Addison might be a better comp. Woody looks like he really could grow into being a fantastic player, if given time.
Congratulations, Syracuse. I am happy to see Syracuse get a recruit that reminds people of Rudy Gay. Go Cuse.

Does anyone know the time and place Newton is supposed to announce today?
I’m surprised how little excitement this is causing on this board. We may get a top 100 recruit today and there are relative crickets.
I’m fired up. This is exactly the type of guy we need, a top 100, 4 star recruit with talent and athleticism who will grow and improve at Cuse and not bolt after one year. Guys like newton are how we should build this program while of course grabbing any rare 5 star not bullshitted by coach k or getting bags from Kentucky or the like.

I think there's a bunch of reasons that this didn't generate quite the normal buzz. For one, his ranking is a little inconclusive -- not in the espn top 100, and while he is in the rivals list, he peaked in June and has fallen 20 or so spots since that time. So not the best trend. He's also a guy who can shoot a bit but has a weird form and if he is as good as he claims he is defensively, that's great but you don't get that from highlight films (not saying it isn't true, just that highlight films by definition only show big blocks). Additionally, he hasn't drawn raves from those who've seen him in action on this board.

So should we be more excited? I don't know. I think probably b/c he clearly has a lot of potential and has a full year of HS hoops left to grow and develop. But I'm just trying to point out why maybe people aren't quite as excited as one would expect with this type of commit.

It'll be interesting to see the kid in action and see what happens over the next year. I like that he prides himself on defense. Leads me to believe he might do some of those little things that help you win games even if he's not a dynamic scorer. Seemed to have a good sense for moving off the ball. Feel like he could be a little like a Tayshaun Prince type -- not necessarily predicting a long NBA career and future as an elite defender at the next level, but just in that way that he doesn't need the ball all the time to be effective player. Capable of doing a lot other than just providing a solid scoring option.

Hope he grows into that frame a little and starts trending upwards the next year or so.

Jackson
Agreed on Dre. Years ago Roy Danforth had 2 players on i think the 1974 team that remind me exactly of Jackson. Fred Saunders who was a transfer from Louisiana and even more so local kid Chris Sease. Chris actually was just like Jackson. 6'5 6'6 could jump out of the gym but couldn't shoot at all. Both of those guys were very solid for SU. Anyway i want Jackson wearing Orange.

I really like Jackson but I’m taking Addi all day and night.