Class of 2020 - PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

I think there's a bunch of reasons that this didn't generate quite the normal buzz. For one, his ranking is a little inconclusive -- not in the espn top 100, and while he is in the rivals list, he peaked in June and has fallen 20 or so spots since that time. So not the best trend. He's also a guy who can shoot a bit but has a weird form and if he is as good as he claims he is defensively, that's great but you don't get that from highlight films (not saying it isn't true, just that highlight films by definition only show big blocks). Additionally, he hasn't drawn raves from those who've seen him in action on this board.

So should we be more excited? I don't know. I think probably b/c he clearly has a lot of potential and has a full year of HS hoops left to grow and develop. But I'm just trying to point out why maybe people aren't quite as excited as one would expect with this type of commit.

Newton was described to me as a guy who excels playing team ball -- he's the guy always setting picks, he moves the ball quickly, he passes up shot opportunities to pass the ball to teammates in position for better shots, he moves well without the ball, etc. All things that won't stand out in EBYL or all star games, where players often jack the ball up as soon as they touch it. This accounts for his stats being lower than what we're accustomed to seeing.

He's going to be fine. Kid reminds me a lot of young Jerami Grant, right down to the physique as a HS senior.

Last edited:
724 says griff. You know for sure it was Red?
The Syracuse.com article above identifies Griffin as the primary recruiter but gives Autry some recognition because of his earlier ties to Team Takeover. Probably a joint effort but the good news is that the feeling is he is a good player to get.

He does a lot of little things. He recognizes when to cut and where to cut. When he screens he does a great job of reverse pivoting and rolling. He anticipates and seems to have a high IQ. He just needs to get stronger. I think that’s why his release is a little low. He has a soft touch and runs the floor well. If he continues to work and get stronger, he can become a very good player.

Jackson averages 14, 6, and 4 on 55% 2 point shooting in the EYBL. He will be a lot like Jerami Grant on offense, but with a much better handle and passing ability.

Isn't he only about 6-5? Grant was a 6-8 forward. Isn't Jackson a 2 guard? 2 guards who can't shoot are not really what I'm looking for. Stevie Thompson and Chris Sease were great players way back when, but the game is much different these days.

Last edited:
We need someone like Jackson. He can get it to the basket and he will be great finishing in the open court. Who was the last person that put fear into opponents in the open court? Battle was good, but Jackson will be a human highlight.

When was the last time we ran a fast break? I've forgotten what that kind of basketball looks like.

I think there's a bunch of reasons that this didn't generate quite the normal buzz. For one, his ranking is a little inconclusive -- not in the espn top 100, and while he is in the rivals list, he peaked in June and has fallen 20 or so spots since that time. So not the best trend. He's also a guy who can shoot a bit but has a weird form and if he is as good as he claims he is defensively, that's great but you don't get that from highlight films (not saying it isn't true, just that highlight films by definition only show big blocks). Additionally, he hasn't drawn raves from those who've seen him in action on this board.

So should we be more excited? I don't know. I think probably b/c he clearly has a lot of potential and has a full year of HS hoops left to grow and develop. But I'm just trying to point out why maybe people aren't quite as excited as one would expect with this type of commit.

More excited??!! We just got a really big Woody!! :p

Well, ok - maybe more of a long Woody at least; not particularly girthy. ;)

When was the last time we ran a fast break? I've forgotten what that kind of basketball looks like.
Can't run a break wo the ball.

First order of business is to replace Oshae off the glass. I do not think we have any one player on our roster who can do that. Maybe by committee if we are fortunate.

Second, we need a PG who can get out and lead that break. Jalen may be the only PG candidate on the roster who can potentially do that, but he has so much to clean up in his game before he can even be anointed the starter. I had previously predicted that Joe would end up being our starting Pg (not necessarily at day one since I think the staff will make it Jalen's job to lose). Doubt Joe would be an ideal PG to lead a break if he does end up being the starter.

Third - if we can actually get the ball and then run it, you need guys who can fly and finish. I do think we will have a lot of potential in that area. I would expect quincy, bras, goodine and others to be able to do that efficiently. Woody should also be a good get in that regard.

Newton was described to me as a guy who excels playing team ball -- he's the guy always setting picks, he moves the ball quickly, he passes up shot opportunities to pass the ball to teammates in position for better shots, he moves well without the ball, etc. All things that won't stand out in EBYL or all star games, where players often jack the ball up as soon as they touch it. This accounts for his stats being lower than what we're accustomed to seeing.

He's going to be fine. Kid reminds me a lot of young Jerami Grant, right down to the physique as a HS senior.
If true that would be great. This is the kind of kind we want.

Tell that to the coach. He picks the players.
Thats the Syracuse system, players playing a bunch of different positions. Jimmy B will tell you they can play multiple positions but in reality if there was a natural pg or whatever position it is they wouldn’t have to switch positions.

If this is an accurate description, this is a much larger get than I realized. This team desperately needs more players like that; it was maybe our biggest weakness this season even moreso than our C and PG play.

If he is all those things, and I can see that being a really good combination, then that’s awesome. My only point was that we haven’t read much of that and those things are never shown on highlight films. All in all seems like a really nice get.

Dont worry about that at all.

Agree it will work out and I would not be surprised if Sidibe leaves after this season, not sure what the reason is , but he has other things he wants to do, not sure about HWJ , and Carey will leave if he is riding the bench again and who knows with Marek bc he’s going pro in Europe , so plenty of scenarios and Buddy no scholarship option

Love this pickup, perfect fit for us and him, he is just scratching the surface, still growing and Red will adjust his shot, no concern, reminds me of a few guys , variations of Hakim W , Chris M and J Grant, not comparing or putting added pressure on him, just based on the videos , body build reminds me Of a guy who used to play at OSU and in NBA , so if he develops he’s gonna be a heck of a player, I do know his teammates and coaches love him , team 1st kid and very solid family foundation