1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

Class of 2017 PG Howard Washington (NY) Decommitted from Butler

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by AWMKY, Sep 29, 2013.

1. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

Think I'd rather have a frosh HW, unless FH gets his head squared on straight. It's a tough question, unless I know what FH we'd be getting. I do think HW looks like a point guard, and that's HW's best attribute. FH looks like what he is: a shooting guard who can't shoot, pretending he's a point guard. HW looks much more comfortable with the ball in his hands. As I said, he looks like an old school point guard, like Billy Edelin, minus Billy's amazing skill and size. Not to say that Washington isn't skilled, but Billy was a magician with the ball when he was on his game.

SoBeCuse and Orangefizz like this.
  2. Oráiste

Oráiste Scout Team

no offense and please don't take this personally, but I will believe when I see it. the dirt was completely shoveled on to his grave earlier this season, he was supposedly finished here, and yet he keeps playing.

3. Francis03

Francis03 All American

Can't really think of a comparison off the top. The canadian folks consider him Tyler Ennis lite. He's not as careful with the rock like Ennis and is willing to take more risks. I think he's a better shooter at this stage, but Ennis was on another level when it came to scoring efficiency on three levels of the floor.

If anything, I think Washington could have a career like Allen Griffin. Not a star, but somebody who plays a role on tourney teams and leaves more appreciated by the fan base than he was coming in.

HoustonCuse, torque, MSOrange and 5 others like this.
  4. SUOrangeSU

SUOrangeSU Scout Team

Francis03 u hearing anything new regarding Howard not being back?

5. Francis03

Francis03 All American

Haven't heard anything definitive yet, but I wouldn't count on him coming back. Only reason why I could see him returning is because the PG depth chart for next season is pretty much fill in the blanks status. That should change once the staff knows what's fully available after the season.

6. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

Whoa--if he's comparable to Allen Griffin, sign me up!

7. jordoo

jordoo Living Legend

I agree. Even if he was coming back though, the way he has played I wouldn't be factoring him into any lineups.

ORRange, TCuse99 and two3zone like this.
  8. TCuse99

TCuse99 Walk On

That's cool. You can believe whatever u want. He's on the roster due to a lack of bodies. He won't be back.

No disrespect taken. I'm just passing it along.

ORRange likes this.
  9. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

Senior year Allen Griffin was fantastic. One of the most improved players to ever wear an SU uniform. Before that, he was not very effective.

10. tep624

tep624 All American

Didn't he play more his Soph year and then was basically invisible his junior year? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else but I seem to remember it that way. And then he had the big Senior year.

iommi likes this.
  11. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

Maybe but I don't remember him playing more his sophomore year.

12. cliftonparksufan

cliftonparksufan 2016 Iggy Winner

Yes, he started every game as a soph.

iommi likes this.
  13. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

Griffin played the 2 his sophomore year. Tony Bland took his job his junior year, then after Hart graduated Griffin played the point.

iommi likes this.
  14. Janner

Janner Scout Team

IMO Washington can not be the only PG taken in this class if the staff does extend the offer. Whether that means going the grad transfer route, JUCO or bringing in a second freshman PG, taking a flyer on this kid alone is too big of a risk. The program right now can not afford another Joseph type situation with out a secondary plan. We had two 5th year senior guards to bail us out last year, that will not be the case again anytime soon. Nothing against Washington but there is clearly some serious hesitation on him being and ACC level player otherwise the staff would have extended an offer long ago.

torque and Cusefan0307 like this.
  15. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

I think Washington is the 3rd choice after Ayala and Duarte.

I really like the kid Jordan Walker who is the highest rated PG left after Duval, but he's smaller than Gillon so maybe that turns the staff off? I don't know.

16. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

Statistically, I agree with you. Griffin came in one year after Hart, and then backed him up his first year. Played alongside him out of position at the 2 [despite being only 6 feet tall], which wasn't a great fit for his skill set. JB went with a bigger player for the 2000 season in Bland [we started out 19-0 that year], which relegated Griffin to the bench again, but he and Damone Brown stepped up and significantly elevated that tremendously mediocre 2001 team, getting them into the NCAA tournament.

If Griffin's timing had been different [i.e., not arriving one year after an experience 4 year starter manning his position], he would have made a bigger impact than just senior year. He was a terrific player, from a terrific high school program. One of the hardest workers we've ever had in practice, and had a great attitude. Most top 50-ish recruits would have transferred, but he waited for his turn. Kid could ball, and was a tremendous athlete [sounds like Washington might not be].

MSOrange, OttoinGrotto and iommi like this.
  17. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

I don't think that Washington is mutually exclusive from the other two. Do you think that the staff envisions Duarte as a lead guard?

iommi and Cusefan0307 like this.
  18. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

I think Duarte is a two, but who knows what the staff thinks. MCW was a two as well originally and I see a lot of people saying he's a poor mans MCW now. I'd take Washington, but they haven't offered yet. . They must have some reason not to offer...

Janner and iommi like this.
  19. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

I vaguely remember Griffin at the 2, now that you guys are mentioning it. One thing I do remember is Griffin became a fantastic point guard his senior year- very physical finisher. Seemed to make a ton of layups and I don't remember him dunking.

20. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

Maybe they have a vibe that an offer would bring a commit and they want to get their ducks in a row first.

Francis03, Cusefan0307 and orangefog like this.