Howard Washington | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

I agree with just about everything you said above. But let's trust the coaching staff here--they must have something cooking that we aren't fully aware of, or that we aren't privy to.

Ayala just visited last weekend. Maybe something is percolating there. Or maybe they project Duarte as a point. :noidea:

I would offer him, and wouldn't feel bad if we do despite the ratings. Because I think he could be precisely what you suggest--a four year guy who might develop into a starter, and backcourt depth even if he doesn't.
You know,I lose track. How many schollys are available for next year and after. Can't remember when all this crap is done.

You know,I lose track. How many schollys are available for next year and after. Can't remember when all this crap is done.
The pinned link at the top of the page breaks it down by class. If everyone comes back, we had eight accounted for.
Lydon
Battle
Chukwu
Howard
Moyer
Thompson
Brisset
Sidibe

According to this article we still are losing two for next season, and one for the season afterwards, so we still have three available. 13-2-8=3.
NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year toward penalty

"NCAA allows" ...gah, bite me.

NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year towards penalty
NCAA allows scumbag Paterno to get all his wins back and doesn't shut down that program
NCAA allows Baylor to still have an athletic department
NCAA allows Kentucky and North Carolina to keep playing basketball

Hey, seems great to me.

The pinned link at the top of the page breaks it down by class. If everyone comes back, we had eight accounted for.
Lydon
Battle
Chukwu
Howard
Moyer
Thompson
Brisset
Sidibe

According to this article we still are losing two for next season, and one for the season afterwards, so we still have three available. 13-2-8=3.
NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year toward penalty
Yeah, and of those tentatively on the roster for next season, three could very well not be for various reasons (in order of likeliness of leaving: Lydon, Howard, and Chukwu). So SU has 3-6 spots to fill still. It's not dark yet, but it's getting there. And getting fifth years and some decent freshman is OK, but look how relying on them this season has played out with regards to the defense. IMO, it'd be easier to deal with roster turnover if the defense wasn't so time-consuming to get used to playing.

Yeah, and of those tentatively on the roster for next season, three could very well not be for various reasons (in order of likeliness of leaving: Lydon, Howard, and Chukwu). So SU has 3-6 spots to fill still. It's not dark yet, but it's getting there. And getting fifth years and some decent freshman is OK, but look how relying on them this season has played out with regards to the defense. IMO, it'd be easier to deal with roster turnover if the defense wasn't so time-consuming to get used to playing.
I think you make an excellent point. And, not just for this year or next. I think the early departures and all of the transfers resulting from the sanctions have put the roster in a state of turmoil over the past 5 years. Had the coaches been able to keep the guys who left (too?) early and not been hamstrung by the roster restrictions, the defense, and hence the team's overall performance, would have been markedly better.

Why would Chukwu be leaving the program? Is it possible that he won't recover or is it something else? There was the Baylor big man, Isaiah Austin I think, who played with a detached retina.

Why would Chukwu be leaving the program? Is it possible that he won't recover or is it something else? There was the Baylor big man, Isaiah Austin I think, who played with a detached retina.

Austin was blind in one eye--it wasn't just a detached retina.

I don't think that he was suggesting that Chukwu WOULD leave, just that it could happen if he doesn't recover from his medical problem from earlier this year.

Lydon
Battle
Chukwu
Howard
Moyer
Thompson
Brisset
Sidibe

So, three available for next season as things stand today.

We don't know whether Lydon / Battle will go pro, which could open 1 or 2 more.

And right now, Howard's and to a lesser extent Chukwu's status for next year is uncertain.

Which means that we could have as few as 5 openings, and as many as 7, 8, or 9 if everything works out unfavorably.

Thus far, we've only filled 2 of those slots. Going to be a hectic posteason and offseason.

So, three available for next season as things stand today.

We don't know whether Lydon / Battle will go pro, which could open 1 or 2 more.

And right now, Howard's and to a lesser extent Chukwu's status for next year is uncertain.

Which means that we could have as few as 5 openings, and as many as 7, 8, or 9 if everything works out unfavorably.

Thus far, we've only filled 2 of those slots. Going to be a hectic posteason and offseason.

Again

A bird in the hand! He wants to be here(dream school). He's improving. He may stay 4. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot again like Quade fiasco. Ayala was impressed first time on campus for Louisville game but I don't know that we can continue to gamble. P.S Hope you're doing ok CTO!

Yeah, I don't get the hold up. We have no PG's on the roster for next season. Even if FH comes back, he's more of a SG than PG. There's no way extending an offer to Washington should hurt us with any of the other PGs we're going after. If it does, I don't want them.

Yeah, I don't get the hold up. We have no PG's on the roster for next season. Even if FH comes back, he's more of a SG than PG. There's no way extending an offer to Washington should hurt us with any of the other PGs we're going after. If it does, I don't want them.

This has been talked about on the hoops recruiting board. It seems like there are three open scholarships right now, not accounting for any that might open up if Lydon / Battle go pro, or Howard departs.

They probably want to keep 1, possibly 2, open for 5th year transfers. And they probably prioritize Ayala and Duarte over Washington, so we aren't going to offer him first.

If Lydon leaves, and we have 4 slots to fill instead of 3, that gives us an extra scholie to play with, and I think Washington gets an offer.

I'd expect the class to fill out with 2 out of Ayala, Duarte, and Washington, and 1 or 2 5th year transfers.

If FH is a SG, unfortunately he's a SG who can't S.

As long as Howard doesn't commit anywhere else we can wait.
We need this kid though just for depth.
We are losing more than Robey/White/Gillon.
We have 2 commits now and 3 open spots with 11 scholarships to give out.

As long as Howard doesn't commit anywhere else we can wait.
We need this kid though just for depth.
We are losing more than Robey/White/Gillon.
We have 2 commits now and 3 open spots with 11 scholarships to give out.
I am not up to date on the Howard leaving talk. Is there actual potential of this happening? During Louisville game I thought the announcer said something about JB telling him Howard will be fine and is just a sophomore.

If FH is a SG, unfortunately he's a SG who can't S.

Howard's shown a capable 3pt stroke this year. He just can't finish in the lane. He's more of a shooter than Pace was and Pace was definitely not a PG.

I am not up to date on the Howard leaving talk. Is there actual potential of this happening? During Louisville game I thought the announcer said something about JB telling him Howard will be fine and is just a sophomore.
Eh, who really knows. I 'm not going to be surprised either way. My only concern is that Syracuse needs to add talent.

Couple things:
1. The staff has had a few misses at PG lately (KJ and so far FH) so I think they are being extra careful to not just get a guy for the sake of getting a guy. People were very harsh on their management of this cycle for the all-eggs issue, but making panic offers would be just as bad and they have avoided that to their credit.

2. I have only seen one of his videos - the most recent one - he looks no where near 6'3" to me. It is possible that they are again ginchy about shorter guards after seeing Gillon have some size related trouble on defense.

3. Donna's article said he has been at SU a lot including elite camps. That means our coaches have an excellent evaluation of him. They clearly didn't see him as a Syracuse caliber guard in the past since they didn't offer before. His recent stats and Francis' recent evaluations make it appear like he has improved quite a bit, but the staff is not just going off limited data or guesses when they make the risk trade of offering him. So I think patience is the right approach for us fans here. It isn't just inattention on their part that has held back the offer.

Regardless of how many open spots we have we legitimately have only 2 guards on next years roster, and that's if Howard and Battle are both back.

• Howard's shown a capable 3pt stroke this year. He just can't finish in the lane. He's more of a shooter than Pace was and Pace was definitely not a PG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom