Howard Washington | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

A few donks posted ridiculous things that were obvious fabrications. I don't think anyone posted anything that was legit.

really? a few donks? you missed the "telephone game"?

as someone that has no clue what howard has done, I certainly hope he's here next year. our other options would be a returning battle learning the lead guard role or an incoming grad transfer. MAYBE ayala if were lucky

As to Howard, Washington that is, given our scholarship situation, our particular need at the PG position, the number of opportunities the staff has had to see HW and his apparent strong desire for a Cuse offer something tells me that if the staff hasn't offered it is because they have serious doubts about his ability to contribute here.

For that reason I am good with them not offering. They may have missed on a guy here or there, but over the years they've gotten a lot more right than wrong.

Last edited:
As to Howard, Washington that is, given our scholarship situation, our particular need at the PG position, the number of opportunities the staff has had to see HW and his apparent strong desire for a Cuse offer something tells me that if the staff hasn't offered it is because they have serious doubts about his ability to contribute here. For that reason I don't want them to offer him if they aren't convinced.
Which is good, but the staff may have also felt that there were better options than Monte Morris, Ja'Quan Newton, and Devonte Graham. :noidea:

Oh, if you consider the 3rd guard a main component then that is a different perspective from where I thought you were going. You listed only three players as main components (including Frank), so I had to assume you meant Frank would be one of our top options. I don't get it though, how is a 3rd guard a main component? I guess you consider players 1-10 to be main components?
No, I don't consider players 1-10 as main components, I meant players that play, that are in the rotation are main components. FH is already in the rotation and I doubt Washington can beat him out. The other rotational guard for '17-'18 seems likely to be a grad . Therefore HW would be a developmental player.

It seems possible to me that the staff is prioritizing the recruitment of rotational players for '17-'18 before addressing the remaining developmental players. I can see at least 2 grad transfers in the rotation next year. The recruitment of the 2 grad players is exponentially more important to the success of '17-'18 than anyone else. It's possible that by not adding anything to the roster, it increases the appeal to grad trannies.

As to Howard, Washington that is, given our scholarship situation, our particular need at the PG position, the number of opportunities the staff has had to see HW and his apparent strong desire for a Cuse offer something tells me that if the staff hasn't offered it is because they have serious doubts about his ability to contribute here.

For that reason I am good with them not offering. They may have missed on a guy here or there, but over the years they've gotten a lot more right than wrong.
Can't have posts like these discussing Howard Washington, this has now become what has Frank Howard done and who has the correct facts.

Can't have posts like these discussing Howard Washington, this has now become what has Frank Howard done and who has the correct facts.
This thread now becomes SOLELY about Howard Washington.

Take the Frank Howard discussions elsewhere. There are about 14,000 to choose from.

Thank you.

Howard Washington's been playing some pretty darn good basketball too. There is a lot to talk about. Someone is going to get a very solid college player.

I kept hearing earlier in the thread that he "wasn't a high level D1 guy", but hasn't Butler been ranked in the top 25 and in the top 10 all season? If he was good enough for them at one point and improved then how in the heck wouldn't he be good for us when we only have 2 guards on the roster next year?

I say sign the kid up.

I kept hearing earlier in the thread that he "wasn't a high level D1 guy", but hasn't Butler been ranked in the top 25 and in the top 10 all season? If he was good enough for them at one point and improved then how in the heck wouldn't he be good for us when we only have 2 guards on the roster next year?

I say sign the kid up.

Seriously. Butler has been really solid for years now and ranked most of the time the past few years. They always have good guards. These days I'll take someone who can dribble and isn't a turnover machine.

I say sign the kid up.

Watching his games, it's obvious that the people who have been unimpressed with him see that his athleticism doesn't jump off the page. I find it hard to believe he can't be effective at this level with his athletic ability.

Seriously. Butler has been really solid for years now and ranked most of the time the past few years. They always have good guards. These days I'll take someone who can dribble and isn't a turnover machine.

He does commit a fair amount of turnovers, but most of them look like they are from forcing passes, not a terrible handle. That sort of thing can be improved.

So why have we still not offered him yet?
My guess would be that the staff knows he'd jump right on the offer and he's currently third on the wishlist behind Ayala and Duarte. Guess we didn't learn from that "other guy" that we screwed ourselves with. Perhaps we should go the route of good ball players that aren't the greatest athletes, as opposed to the great athletes that are average players, that aren't good enough to win, but athletic enough to leave early! Just a thought!

My guess would be that the staff knows he'd jump right on the offer and he's currently third on the wishlist behind Ayala and Duarte. Guess we didn't learn from that "other guy" that we screwed ourselves with. Perhaps we should go the route of good ball players that aren't the greatest athletes, as opposed to the great athletes that are average players, that aren't good enough to win, but athletic enough to leave early! Just a thought!

Yeah, that's my take, plus he's always been a Syracuse fan. That's a huge plus. There are a couple Athlete Institute games on YouTube. I wish one of them were more recent because he's really excelling in recent ones.

Best guess with Washington is that the staff views him as below other '17 options at PG -- and below potential grad transfer options.

If things drag out with Ayala/Durarte too long, maybe 'Cuse offers Washington.

Best guess with Washington is that the staff views him as below other '17 options at PG -- and below potential grad transfer options.

If things drag out with Ayala/Durarte too long, maybe 'Cuse offers Washington.

We need a program type guy in my opinion over a 5th year grad type. We have room for both but this program needs a few guys who will be around for a while. Moyer could be one of those. Washington too. So if it comes down to a spot for Washington or a 5th year guy, give me Washington.

We need a program type guy in my opinion over a 5th year grad type. We have room for both but this program needs a few guys who will be around for a while. Moyer could be one of those. Washington too. So if it comes down to a spot for Washington or a 5th year guy, give me Washington.
This is the thing I don't get.

WE NEED GUARDS. Guard-zzzzzzz. Plural.

I'm not completely disagreeing, but, I dunno. "Program Guy" sounds like a guy who won't be very good for the first two years. Franklin Howard and BJ Johnson were Program Guys. Who plays next year? Well enough to not have us posting "miss me yet" with pictures of Gillon (and Howard?).

It just kinda sickens me that we are at the point in this program where we are going to have to be grateful for signing the baseball equivalent to "a lottery ticket."

I'm gonna go re-watch Washington videos to try to convince myself you're right.

I'm not completely disagreeing, but, I dunno. "Program Guy" sounds like a guy who won't be very good for the first two years. Franklin Howard and BJ Johnson were Program Guys. Who plays next year? Well enough to not have us posting "miss me yet" with pictures of Gillon (and Howard?).

It just kinda sickens me that we are at the point in this program where we are going to have to be grateful for signing the baseball equivalent to "a lottery ticket."

I'm gonna go re-watch Washington videos to try to convince myself you're right.
You're either reloading or rebuilding every year in cbb. It seems we're past the point of reloading being an option. Might as well get a head start rebuilding. Bring him in, develope(!) him. Maybe he's an unexpected surprise and shines from the jump.

Yeah, that's my take, plus he's always been a Syracuse fan. That's a huge plus. There are a couple Athlete Institute games on YouTube. I wish one of them were more recent because he's really excelling in recent ones.

I like this. Plus, it's not like the kid can't play. Yeah he may not have the talent of Ayala or Duarte but if he can ball I don't see why we don't offer before he jumps ship elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom