Howard Washington | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Hope we get some good news after that incredible win, in front of a raucous crowd.

Need to trust the staff on this one, I know given the recent issues it's not easy but let's let this play out

anigif_enhanced-20016-1435017828-4.gif

Who were the other two kids at the game? Blair and I don't know the other name. Both were 2017 kids, i think. Just friends/teammates maybe?

Who were the other two kids at the game? Blair and I don't know the other name. Both were 2017 kids, i think. Just friends/teammates maybe?

Coach at AI brought four of his players: OB, Washington, Jahvon Blair, and Jordan Lyons. If interested, I mentioned him on the OB thread.

Are they worth a look?
Personal opinion, no. If Howard can't get an offer, Blair surely can't. And, while Lyons is a phenomenal athlete, he is a 3/2 that doesn't have the skills (outside shot) to play the small forward at Syracuse.

Everyday I check just to see an offer for this kid. Someone PM me when it finally happens. Frustrating.

This. They don't all work out, remember? 5th year transfer PG, Washington, Upper Tier Fr PG. We need 2 of the 3 and I'm not picky at this point. Washington could be Kaleb Joseph or he could be Scoop Jardine. If we get him and a 5th year guy he gets a year to adjust to college. If we get him and a "better" Fr PG then hopefully one of them can help Howard next year.

or he could be Sam Spann. Maybe he isn't anywhere near as good as the amateur talent evaluators here are rating him. We need guys that JB or Hop are willing to put on the floor. We don't need bodies to simply take up space on the bench with no hope of playing. There is a reason he hasn't been offerred, maybe he just isn't good enough??

or he could be Sam Spann. Maybe he isn't anywhere near as good as the amateur talent evaluators here are rating him. We need guys that JB or Hop are willing to put on the floor. We don't need bodies to simply take up space on the bench with no hope of playing. There is a reason he hasn't been offerred, maybe he just isn't good enough??
Disagree. Bodies; living, breathing, bodies at guard is exactly what we need...
What is the negative of taking Washington at this point? Will he scare off higher rated talent later? Will he not provide needed depth and practice body? Does he not appear to bleed Orange?

Disagree. Bodies; living, breathing, bodies at guard is exactly what we need...
What is the negative of taking Washington at this point? Will he scare off higher rated talent later? Will he not provide needed depth and practice body? Does he not appear to bleed Orange?

I believe that this is one of those occasions where BOTH of you are right on this one. The minimum threshold should be: is the kid talented / athletic enough to play at this level, even if that only means as a backup. If the answer is "no," then that should be an automatic disqualifier. If the answer is "yes," then there is no downside to taking him, given our roster composition / lack of returning backcourt players next year and the number of open scholarships we have.

Originally I was not on the Howard Washington train, because I felt that if the staff didn't offer it was because he wasn't an ACC point guard. I still feel the same way, but I am REALLY rooting for this kid to get a scholarship, because it means so much to him. I love kids that want to be here and are willing to work as hard as he has to get here.

I think that as a fanbase, we sometimes get too caught up in the belief that every recruit we bring in needs to be a starter by sophomore year, or bust. Guys who can contribute quality depth are important, too. I look at Washington as a solid but unspectacular recruit who will help rectify a problem that we've had on our roster for the past five years: namely, a complete lack of depth at the point guard position.

This kid might not ever be an ACC starter, but he's no slouch and seems to be improving. He's got good size for the zone. He's not a converted combo guard that we'd have to try to convert to playing lead guard--he already understands how to play the position [what a refreshing change] and has good instincts for it. He's a pretty good shooter.

I'm not suggesting that Washington's game is identical to this comparison, but I see HW as a lot like a Greg Monroe-type recruit. A guy who will back up our starter and potentially provide quality play, hit shots, etc. A guy who fits our defensive system. And a guy who might develop into a starter later in his career.

And if not? Recruit over him in 2018 and let him provide quality depth during his four years on the hill, a la Baye Moussa Keita. Nothing wrong with that. We need to start rebuilding our roster and using our scholarships, after being decimated by the NCAA sanctions. No more 10, 11 man teams.

I think that as a fanbase, we sometimes get too caught up in the belief that every recruit we bring in needs to be a starter by sophomore year, or bust. Guys who can contribute quality depth are important, too. I look at Washington as a solid but unspectacular recruit who will help rectify a problem that we've had on our roster for the past five years: namely, a complete lack of depth at the point guard position.

This kid might not ever be an ACC starter, but he's no slouch and seems to be improving. He's got good size for the zone. He's not a converted combo guard that we'd have to try to convert to playing lead guard--he already understands how to play the position [what a refreshing change] and has good instincts for it. He's a pretty good shooter.

I'm not suggesting that Washington's game is identical to this comparison, but I see HW as a lot like a Greg Monroe-type recruit. A guy who will back up our starter and potentially provide quality play, hit shots, etc. A guy who fits our defensive system. And a guy who might develop into a starter later in his career.

And if not? Recruit over him in 2018 and let him provide quality depth during his four years on the hill, a la Baye Moussa Keita. Nothing wrong with that. We need to start rebuilding our roster and using our scholarships, after being decimated by the NCAA sanctions. No more 10, 11 man teams.
I think you are 100% correct. I know I am guilty of falling for the "dream class" every year. This year was terrible. But, we need program guys and guys like this who have a work ethic and a devotion to this program. Give me a kid with heart and desire to win for this program instead of a desire to showcase himself for the league any day.

This is exactly right! And if he's not cool with being the "depth" than he can surely go elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom