Howard Washington | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Starting guard rotation Of washington and two frosh next year? And that's probably best case? Oh boy. .

I guess Battle could be a guard as well. But who plays the 3?

Starting guard rotation Of washington and two frosh next year? And that's probably best case? Oh boy. .

What two frosh? If Washington comes here, Howard (also assuming he returns) would rotate with him at PG and Battle would be the SG. Moyer and/or Brisset will get time at the 3, though both are better suited to play the 4. We'll have practically no outside scoring on the team other than Battle.

What two frosh? If Washington comes here, Howard (also assuming he returns) would rotate with him at PG and Battle would be the SG. Moyer and/or Brisset will get time at the 3, though both are better suited to play the 4. We'll have practically no outside scoring on the team other than Battle.
You can stop including Howard in any projections for next season.

As for who we will have... I was assuming we get one or two of those kids to reclass and sign. It's bleak at the guard next year. For now.

You can stop including Howard in any projections for next season.

As for who we will have... I was assuming we get one or two of those kids to reclass and sign. It's bleak at the guard next year. For now.

You'll have to excuse my skepticism. We've had posters more sure of themselves on other issues, who thought they had an inside track, and turned out to be wrong.

You'll have to excuse my skepticism. We've had posters more sure of themselves on other issues, who thought they had an inside track, and turned out to be wrong.

Well TCuse99 joined the board right around the time that Orangeman13 left (in fact the name Orangeman13 no longer exists in the member database above). Coincidence?

Why do you say Battle could be a guard? He is our starting two guard, right now. He is a guard.

SF's gotta be Moyer/Brissett.

Why do you say Battle could be a guard? He is our starting two guard, right now. He is a guard.

SF's gotta be Moyer/Brissett.

No, because neither of those two guys has the skill set to play SF. Brisset is a PF in the mold of Hak, and Moyer is more of an interior player, as well. Neither would be suited to playing the SF position next year. Down the road? Time will tell. But we'll be in bad shape if either of those two is forced to start at 3 next season.

No, because neither of those two guys has the skill set to play SF. Brisset is a PF in the mold of Hak, and Moyer is more of an interior player, as well. Neither would be suited to playing the SF position next year. Down the road? Time will tell. But we'll be in bad shape if either of those two is forced to start at 3 next season.

I've heard Brissett compared to Kris Joseph? Joseph wasn't ready to play SF as a freshman, but certainly became a pure SF eventually.

Looking at our roster now, it would have to be those guys though, wouldn't it? Unless Lydon is back and they try that experiment again.

Hope there's another Andrew White out there.

Can we just make Brissett and Moyer do nothing but practice 3 point shooting for the next 8 months?

I guess we're looking at:

Howard - Battle - Moyer - Thompson - Sidibe

Bench: PG ? SG ? SF/PF Brissett C Chukwu

That lineup is insanely long, athletic and more reminiscent of our teams that locked down opponents in the zone but when your second best shooter is your PF, that could be a problem.

Can we just make Brissett and Moyer do nothing but practice 3 point shooting for the next 8 months?

I guess we're looking at:

Howard - Battle - Moyer - Thompson - Sidibe

Bench: PG ? SG ? SF/PF Brissett C Chukwu

That lineup is insanely long, athletic and more reminiscent of our teams that locked down opponents in the zone but when your second best shooter is your PF, that could be a problem.
I'd love to see any lineup with Battle still in it. Just don't have the feeling that he'll be back!

I'd love to see any lineup with Battle still in it. Just don't have the feeling that he'll be back!
The amount of G's in the draft this year is ridiculous. Dennis Smith, Lonzo Bal, Fultz, Fox, Monk. Then you go to the 2nd tier with guys like Bacon, Terrence Ferguson, Juwan Evans, Trimble, Sumner, etc. I know good number of those dudes are PGs, but Battle is a guy who will probably have the keys next year in a (as of now) weaker draft class.

I've heard Brissett compared to Kris Joseph? Joseph wasn't ready to play SF as a freshman, but certainly became a pure SF eventually.

Looking at our roster now, it would have to be those guys though, wouldn't it? Unless Lydon is back and they try that experiment again.

Hope there's another Andrew White out there.

Brisset is insanely athletic, but doesn't seem to show any perimeter skills. He is a face the basket 4 who dunks and uses quickness to get to the basket. Puts it on the floor in the lane to get to the tin. Gets fouled a lot when he doesn't finish inside. But I don't think his skill set is much like Joseph's. KJ was a guy who handled the ball, and developed into a shooter. Pretty good rebounder.

Brisset seems like a lithe PF who is a runner / rebounder / rejector type. If I had to guess, I'd predict that he'll be a full time PF for us.

Now, it would be great for him to round out his game--not saying it won't happen, just that his skill set doesn't seem to support that he'll round into form as a versatile 3.

I would guess we're going to have to hit the JUCO, international, and 5th year transfer market hard for a SF. Here's hoping that we land Ayala / Duarte to fill in the depth at the 2 that you point out above is currently lacking. That would go a long way toward solving at least some of our roster gaps.

Brisset is insanely athletic, but doesn't seem to show any perimeter skills. He is a face the basket 4 who dunks and uses quickness to get to the basket. Puts it on the floor in the lane to get to the tin. Gets fouled a lot when he doesn't finish inside. But I don't think his skill set is much like Joseph's. KJ was a guy who handled the ball, and developed into a shooter. Pretty good rebounder.

Brisset seems like a lithe PF who is a runner / rebounder / rejector type. If I had to guess, I'd predict that he'll be a full time PF for us.

Now, it would be great for him to round out his game--not saying it won't happen, just that his skill set doesn't seem to support that he'll round into form as a versatile 3.
Do we have a 3? I've heard the same said about Moyer. That gives us 3 PF's and 2 C's going into next year with no Guard depth and no SF.

Do we have a 3? I've heard the same said about Moyer. That gives us 3 PF's and 2 C's going into next year with no Guard depth and no SF.
This mismatched parts strategy of recruiting seems to be happening a lot lately.
Just what we need another 200 lb PF who can't shoot.

What does this really mean assuming there are no major changes in the system we use presently? From a defensive perspective there is no 3 or 4 - just the two wings in the zone. Not an issue here.

I think offensively it's a question of skill sets and how they mesh more than a pigeon-holed 1 through 5 delineation. The ideal is to have 3 players on the floor with fairly strong ball skills - respectable shooters out to 3 point range, decent handle and ability to drive to the hole and find teammates with better opportunities to score. Not all three have to be plus performers in all aspects but a strong mix is essential to run an effective half court offense.

Roster is by no means set for next year. Players with eligibility may or may not be gone and new names will be added but Battle, Howard and to at least some extent Lydon and even Thompson have shown potential to be more than low post scorers. I'm not sure what to expect from Moyer or Brissett as either could prove to possess a much broader skill set than what we have seen in limited exposure. But, while far from the desired state I think there will be effective options.

What does this really mean assuming there are no major changes in the system we use presently? From a defensive perspective there is no 3 or 4 - just the two wings in the zone. Not an issue here.

I think offensively it's a question of skill sets and how they mesh more than a pigeon-holed 1 through 5 delineation. The ideal is to have 3 players on the floor with fairly strong ball skills - respectable shooters out to 3 point range, decent handle and ability to drive to the hole and find teammates with better opportunities to score. Not all three have to be plus performers in all aspects but a strong mix is essential to run an effective half court offense.

Roster is by no means set for next year. Players with eligibility may or may not be gone and new names will be added but Battle, Howard and to at least some extent Lydon and even Thompson have shown potential to be more than low post scorers. I'm not sure what to expect from Moyer or Brissett as either could prove to possess a much broader skill set than what we have seen in limited exposure. But, while far from the desired state I think there will be effective options.
What I'm worried about, is that unless you have a roster of NBA talent (UK/Duke) it is very difficult, in 2017, to score if you don't have 4 guys who can shoot, let alone maybe not even having 3 guys who can space the floor.

Defensively, just going off size, length and athleticism, we could be as good defensively as we've ever been but offense is a giant question mark in more ways than one.

The amount of G's in the draft this year is ridiculous. Dennis Smith, Lonzo Bal, Fultz, Fox, Monk. Then you go to the 2nd tier with guys like Bacon, Terrence Ferguson, Juwan Evans, Trimble, Sumner, etc. I know good number of those dudes are PGs, but Battle is a guy who will probably have the keys next year in a (as of now) weaker draft class.
I totally get that. Of those guys you listed, only Bacon, Ball, and almost Fultz are as long and athletic. All of them right now are much better players, but we all know the draft is potential based! I love how stacked this draft is for guards, as it helps our chances of him staying, but the better he plays the more I like and hate at the same time!

Well TCuse99 joined the board right around the time that Orangeman13 left (in fact the name Orangeman13 no longer exists in the member database above). Coincidence?
I haven't claimed anything. I've been an SU fan much longer thaneed most here have been alive. The fact I'm a donor means nothing. The fact I know Jim personally means nothing also.

FaCT remains that Howard is less likely to be here than to be somewhere else next year. By alot. If u don't want to read my posts just block me son. It's ok. Really it is...

I haven't claimed anything. I've been an SU fan much longer thaneed most here have been alive. The fact I'm a donor means nothing. The fact I know Jim personally means nothing also.

FaCT remains that Howard is less likely to be here than to be somewhere else next year. By alot. If u don't want to read my posts just block me son. It's ok. Really it is...

Sure you have. On Wednesday on the main board (Frank Howard thread) you said he wouldn't be back next year. I am not debating you, it just caught me by surprise that you were so definitive on that one (here you seem to be hedging a bit). Obviously you have some good sources seeing that you know "Jim" personally. So why would I want to block you? Keep the info coming please if it's solid. And please keep those donations flowing! (thank you)

Sure you have. On Wednesday on the main board (Frank Howard thread) you said he wouldn't be back next year. I am not debating you, it just caught me by surprise that you were so definitive on that one (here you seem to be hedging a bit). Obviously you have some good sources seeing that you know "Jim" personally. So why would I want to block you? Keep the info coming please if it's solid. And please keep those donations flowing! (thank you)
I'm not hedging. It is my total understanding that he will not be back. These are kids though. Nothing in life when it comes to a teenager is ever 100%.

This article was written back in August from his current school. It lists Syracuse as a school that has offered. Did we miss something here?

This article was written back in August from his current school. It lists Syracuse as a school that has offered. Did we miss something here?
This is from his highschool newspaper. I'm guessing the writer didn't have to verify his sources lol

Was able to watch a couple of Athlete Institute games this week. Will do a full scouting report write up about Washington and Brissett over the weekend. Look for it to drop on Monday. Will just say that Brissett is a legit top 50 talent and Washington is better suited as a mid-major starter, but can develop into a decent backup for a high major.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom