Howard Washington | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

We have 5 scholarships but Sidibe and Brissett have 2 of them. It is possible that Lydon (probable) and Battle (less) will go pro and that would free up 1-2 more scholarships. But, if neither go pro, we would then only have 3 available b/c two of the scholarships have been taken.

Nope - we have seven ships available. Next year we have;
  • Frank Howard
  • Paschal Chukwu
  • Tyler Lydon
  • Tyus Battle
  • Matthew Moyer
  • Taurean Thompson
  • Bourama Sidibe
  • Oshae Brissett
If we add;
  • Ayala
  • Duarte
  • Washington
  • Unidentified Grad transfer
If Lydon & Battle leave (this year or next) and the grad transfer graduates that leaves us with nine players on scholarship and four open for 2018 recruits. We have no problem with available scholarships for 2018.

• Frank Howard
  • Paschal Chukwu
  • Tyler Lydon
  • Tyus Battle
  • Matthew Moyer
  • Taurean Thompson
  • Bourama Sidibe
  • Oshae Brissett
If we add;
  • Ayala
  • Duarte
  • Washington
If Lydon & Battle leave (this year or next) and the grad transfer graduates that leaves us with nine players on scholarship and four open for 2018 recruits. We have no problem with available scholarships for 2018.
Aren't you forgetting about the scholarship reductions?

I think we are docked two in '17-18. and one in '18-'19.

I thought it was one next year and zero for 2018. I could be wrong. My apologies if I am.

if you add all three, but then it turns out that none of Howard, Battle and Lydon leave, then we have a full roster and no room to sign anyone for 2018. that puts you in the position of having to push someone out the door in order to add anyone.

i know it seems unlikely that all three return, but you have to account for that in your planning. the spring signing period doesn't open until mid April and by then the staff will have a better sense of how many slots are available. we'll just have to be patient until then.

If Battle and Lydon stay, it's for one more year. They'd both be gone before 2018. So that would be 2 scholarships right there, no?

• Frank Howard
  • Paschal Chukwu
  • Tyler Lydon
  • Tyus Battle
  • Matthew Moyer
  • Taurean Thompson
  • Bourama Sidibe
  • Oshae Brissett
If we add;
  • Ayala
  • Duarte
  • Washington

The grad transfer(s) we add will need to be proven scoring threats. Looking at that roster, our only somewhat proven scoring threats will be Battle and TT (Lydon is gone). We need to add an Andrew White type or two, likely at the 3. And we probably would be well off to add a PG that is ready to play right away.

Yes this is what I've seen too.

So if they take all of Ayala, Washington, and Duarte in 2017 and no one leaves then we technically wouldnt have any spots for a 2017 grad transfer and we'd only have 1 scholarship available for 2018 class.

Of course if Lydon leaves, as most would expect, that would leave 1 for 2017 (presumably for a grad transfer) and 2 for 2018

Have they officially offered Duarte? I know they did Ayala.

So my guess is they prioritized those 2 over Washington and are in no rush to offer him.

If they find out that Ayala can't / won't reclassify to 2017 or Frank is bouncing after the year, then the picture changes and I think Washington would be getting an offer pretty quick.

Here goes some more numbers on Washington. Last summer in the EYBL (best comp in HS ball imho) he averaged in 20 games 10 PPG, 39% FG, 38% 3PT in 86 attempts, 5 APG, and 4 RPG. In Adidas Nations for Team Canada vs the Top USA squads in 6 games he averaged 11 PPG, 48% FG, 50% 3PT 16-32 overall, 3 RPG, and 2 APG. Has averaged over 40% in 3pt shooting for Team Canada in every national event that he has played in.
Francis..question for you. In your pod after the Quade mess you had mentioned that we shouldn't rush to judgment and offer a guy like Washington, as he really isn't at the level that would benefit us. Has your stance changed or has he shown the improvement that he could work as an ACC level PG? Or is he simply plan C behind Ayala and Duarte?

Francis..question for you. In your pod after the Quade mess you had mentioned that we shouldn't rush to judgment and offer a guy like Washington, as he really isn't at the level that would benefit us. Has your stance changed or has he shown the improvement that he could work as an ACC level PG? Or is he simply plan C behind Ayala and Duarte?
At the time, I was hopeful that there would be numerous other PG options to emerge that the staff would look out for. Turns out that wasn't the case and only Ayala and Washington became the ones that they have considered so far. Which is why I decided to give Washington a look and watch a few of his games to see if there was any improvement since prepping out in Canada with Brissett. As I noted in my scouting report, he's not going to be a superstar on the high major level but he does present some skills when it comes to running a team as a pure PG and his scoring ability. All which could be a useful asset in providing guard depth on a team lacking that for years. The staff doesn't need to hurry up and offer him, but on the flipside it won't be smart for them to wait too long and have Ayala drag them in a guessing game on whether he'll reclassify or not. Plus I don't think the answer on that with Ayala will be decided until late spring/early summer.

My preference at the moment would be to get Duarte first, then figure out the rest of the options that will become available after the season and make a wise and timely decision on who to take when filling out the rest of the class.

I know this seems weird to say but I hope that having Howard, Washington, Duarte and Ayala doesn't scare off a 5th year transfer pg to come here.

I know this seems weird to say but I hope that having Howard, Washington, Duarte and Ayala doesn't scare off a 5th year transfer pg to come here.
the pickings are looking slim in that area; no potential bodies there worth passing on any of those guys

As I noted in my scouting report, he's not going to be a superstar on the high major level but he does present some skills when it comes to running a team as a pure PG and his scoring ability. All which could be a useful asset in providing guard depth on a team lacking that for years.

Feel the same way. Since the incredible 2012 season--when we had unbelievable depth to the point where a guy like MCW couldn't even get run, we've gone through 5 consecutive seasons of having poor guard depth. Also have had five new starting point guards [a new one every year] since then, and have had no legit backup point 3 of those 5 seasons.

Washington sounds like a program guy who will be here for all 4 years. Sounds a lot like a Greg Monroe type to me--semi-limited athlete without tremendous upside, shoots it well, good ball skills. Even if he ends up just being a quality backup throughout his career, that would still be of value.

Would we want a player that is scared to compete against freshman that aren't even ranked in the top 100 according to the national scouts?
Good point.

But. . . (isn't there always a "but"?)

Do you think Duarte and/or Ayala are not Top 100 quality?

Would we want a player that is scared to compete against freshman that aren't even ranked in the top 100 according to the national scouts?

I mean I get that Francis but we don't know what's in the mind of these transfers. It wouldn't scare any of us but these are practically kids and left a comfortable situation to hopefully be on center stage.

idk..just hope it doesnt limit us

Good point.

But. . . (isn't there always a "but"?)

Do you think Duarte and/or Ayala are not Top 100 quality?
That's why I said "according to the national scouts." Both are underrated and should exceed expectations in college imo. I just don't see a good and confident player looking to play on the highest level as a 5th year transfer being scared away by recruits that he most likely has never heard of. If we had Trevon Duval or Trae Young coming in then that would be a different story.

At the time, I was hopeful that there would be numerous other PG options to emerge that the staff would look out for. Turns out that wasn't the case and only Ayala and Washington became the ones that they have considered so far. Which is why I decided to give Washington a look and watch a few of his games to see if there was any improvement since prepping out in Canada with Brissett. As I noted in my scouting report, he's not going to be a superstar on the high major level but he does present some skills when it comes to running a team as a pure PG and his scoring ability. All which could be a useful asset in providing guard depth on a team lacking that for years. The staff doesn't need to hurry up and offer him, but on the flipside it won't be smart for them to wait too long and have Ayala drag them in a guessing game on whether he'll reclassify or not. Plus I don't think the answer on that with Ayala will be decided until late spring/early summer.

My preference at the moment would be to get Duarte first, then figure out the rest of the options that will become available after the season and make a wise and timely decision on who to take when filling out the rest of the class.
Thanks...and thanks for your insight on recruiting!

That's why I said "according to the national scouts." Both are underrated and should exceed expectations in college imo. I just don't see a good and confident player looking to play on the highest level as a 5th year transfer being scared away by recruits that he most likely has never heard of. If we had Trevon Duval or Trae Young coming in then that would be a different story.
Thanks.

Yeah, and if he is scared, then we don't want him anyway

Wait, back-to-back triple doubles for Washington. Is Athlete Institute playing cupcakes? Or maybe Washington is really good? Better than his ranking at least?

Francis, who would you compare Washington's game to, now that you've watched a few games? I compared him to Greg Monroe above--wondering what your thoughts are.

Iommi? Same question.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was his 6th triple double this season.

Yes, that's what the tweet says too. Impressive. Kid has to have a great deal of talent to do that. As I said, maybe he's coming into his own and is better than advertised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom