1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

Class of 2017 PG Howard Washington (NY) Decommitted from Butler

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by AWMKY, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Francis03

Francis03 All American

At the time, I was hopeful that there would be numerous other PG options to emerge that the staff would look out for. Turns out that wasn't the case and only Ayala and Washington became the ones that they have considered so far. Which is why I decided to give Washington a look and watch a few of his games to see if there was any improvement since prepping out in Canada with Brissett. As I noted in my scouting report, he's not going to be a superstar on the high major level but he does present some skills when it comes to running a team as a pure PG and his scoring ability. All which could be a useful asset in providing guard depth on a team lacking that for years. The staff doesn't need to hurry up and offer him, but on the flipside it won't be smart for them to wait too long and have Ayala drag them in a guessing game on whether he'll reclassify or not. Plus I don't think the answer on that with Ayala will be decided until late spring/early summer.

My preference at the moment would be to get Duarte first, then figure out the rest of the options that will become available after the season and make a wise and timely decision on who to take when filling out the rest of the class.

2. SUOrangeSU

SUOrangeSU Scout Team

I know this seems weird to say but I hope that having Howard, Washington, Duarte and Ayala doesn't scare off a 5th year transfer pg to come here.

3. Oráiste

Oráiste Scout Team

the pickings are looking slim in that area; no potential bodies there worth passing on any of those guys

4. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

Feel the same way. Since the incredible 2012 season--when we had unbelievable depth to the point where a guy like MCW couldn't even get run, we've gone through 5 consecutive seasons of having poor guard depth. Also have had five new starting point guards [a new one every year] since then, and have had no legit backup point 3 of those 5 seasons.

Washington sounds like a program guy who will be here for all 4 years. Sounds a lot like a Greg Monroe type to me--semi-limited athlete without tremendous upside, shoots it well, good ball skills. Even if he ends up just being a quality backup throughout his career, that would still be of value.

torque, MSOrange, retro44 and 2 others like this.
  5. Francis03

Francis03 All American

Would we want a player that is scared to compete against freshman that aren't even ranked in the top 100 according to the national scouts?

6. longtimefan

longtimefan All Conference

Good point.

But. . . (isn't there always a "but"?)

Do you think Duarte and/or Ayala are not Top 100 quality?

7. SUOrangeSU

SUOrangeSU Scout Team

I mean I get that Francis but we don't know what's in the mind of these transfers. It wouldn't scare any of us but these are practically kids and left a comfortable situation to hopefully be on center stage.

idk..just hope it doesnt limit us

8. Francis03

Francis03 All American

That's why I said "according to the national scouts." Both are underrated and should exceed expectations in college imo. I just don't see a good and confident player looking to play on the highest level as a 5th year transfer being scared away by recruits that he most likely has never heard of. If we had Trevon Duval or Trae Young coming in then that would be a different story.

HoustonCuse, tee1222 and orangefog like this.
  9. Funk Doc

Funk Doc Scout Team

Thanks...and thanks for your insight on recruiting!

tee1222 and Francis03 like this.
  10. longtimefan

longtimefan All Conference

Thanks.

tee1222 and Francis03 like this.
  11. orangefog

orangefog All American

Yeah, and if he is scared, then we don't want him anyway

DoctorBombay, tee1222 and Francis03 like this.
  12. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

Wait, back-to-back triple doubles for Washington. Is Athlete Institute playing cupcakes? Or maybe Washington is really good? Better than his ranking at least?

HoustonCuse likes this.
  13. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

Francis, who would you compare Washington's game to, now that you've watched a few games? I compared him to Greg Monroe above--wondering what your thoughts are.

Iommi? Same question.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  14. jordville

jordville 2nd String

Pretty sure it was his 6th triple double this season.

15. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

Yes, that's what the tweet says too. Impressive. Kid has to have a great deal of talent to do that. As I said, maybe he's coming into his own and is better than advertised.

jordville likes this.
  16. jordville

jordville 2nd String

Didn't even see that in the original. Must have been all the smoke from the Gillon fire tonight...

ssbriefcase and tee1222 like this.
  17. TCuse99

TCuse99 Walk On

Howard will not be back. We can stop factoring him in to 2018 rosters.

18. SUOrangeSU

SUOrangeSU Scout Team

and u know this as a definite?

justgold315 likes this.
  19. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

I did watch a good chunk of AI games. I don't know about the Monroe comparison. Not saying it's a bad one, Monroe didn't make much of an impression on me before he left. I remember Monroe could stroke it from deep and I doubt HW shoots as well. He will be serviceable.

My take on Washington is similar to Francis' but I'm a little bit more bullish on him. He's very good at getting AI into their offense. He has a nice variety of passes. He looks like an old school point guard. Like a guy from the 80's if that makes sense. He's as far from a John Wall type as possible. He initiates the offense well and plays with a calm demeanor. When he played off the ball, he brought little value. His shot is a bit of line drive and his release isn't lightning quick.

I'm struggling to find an SU player to compare him to. I guess Scoop would be the best comparison as far as their games. He looks nothing like Scoop. I wish Washington had some of Scoop's weight. I found Washington to have a lot of the same positives and negatives Scoop brought. On the positive side, they are solid in getting their team into the offense. Like Scoop, his shot isn't pretty but he still managed to score. On the negative side, they both force the issue sometimes. Howard needs to clean up his passing inside, too many passes to guys who are guarded but at least he looks to feed the post. It's like he knows the point guard is supposed to feed the post so he does so even when the pass isn't there. He can't blow by his guy so he sometimes makes a bad pass.

He's been putting up huge numbers lately. Maybe he needed to learn his teammates better after he transferred?

I saw nothing from him on defense. He was just kind of there. Just tried to stay in front of the guy he was guarding but he's not an impact defender.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    HoustonCuse, Sgt Cuse, Digger and 2 others like this.
  20. SacKingCuse

SacKingCuse Walk On

Thanks for the analysis iommi. From the sounds of it, he's a serviceable player. He's not going to be the star that puts up 20 pts and 10 boards/assists a game, but he would contribute. One rare nights where a match-up might be in his favor he could drop 20, but not on a regular basis.

I would be fine and would actually like the staff to take a chance on this kid. He has skills and would be here for 4 years. We need depth to fill in gaps when other players leave early for the league. I think this would be a smart addition to our team that would prevent a hole in the position like we've had for years.

iommi...who would you rather have, a frosh HW or a jr FH?