Howard Washington | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

I vaguely remember Griffin at the 2, now that you guys are mentioning it. One thing I do remember is Griffin became a fantastic point guard his senior year- very physical finisher. Seemed to make a ton of layups and I don't remember him dunking.

He was muscular, strong, and had hops. Griffin was a powerful dunker. He was just short and didn't dunk all that often.

Maybe they have a vibe that an offer would bring a commit and they want to get their ducks in a row first.
That's the feel I am getting too. I don't know anything, but it seems that Washington is #3 out of 3 and the staff probably wants 2 guards and prefer Ayala and Duarte, but if either one doesn't work out, then it is Mr. Washington, come on down.

I don't think that Washington is mutually exclusive from the other two. Do you think that the staff envisions Duarte as a lead guard?

Maybe they do. As we have seen, we tend to see two guards and combos as point guards. That might be playing into why we haven't offered HW? Want to see if CD commits first?

That's the feel I am getting too. I don't know anything, but it seems that Washington is #3 out of 3 and the staff probably wants 2 guards and prefer Ayala and Duarte, but if either one doesn't work out, then it is Mr. Washington, come on down.

I'd have to think that we need more than 2 guards to flesh out the roster. We don't know if either Battle or Frank will be returning. If both do, then I agree that we only need to add 2 more.

He was muscular, strong, and had hops. Griffin was a powerful dunker. He was just short and didn't dunk all that often.

Yeah, I remember him finishing off the glass and rarely blowing layups (and finishing through contact).

Maybe they do. As we have seen, we tend to see two guards and combos as point guards. That might be playing into why we haven't offered HW? Want to see if CD commits first?
They could see Ayala as the PG and Duarte as the SG and that would make it a battle between Ayala and Washington for the PG spot.

I'd have to think that we need more than 2 guards to flesh out the roster. We don't know if either Battle or Frank will be returning. If both do, then I agree that we only need to add 2 more.
Read SWC's JB radio recap. Unless I'm misinterpreting it, sounds like we want 2 guards.

True, and the staff probably knows about both, at this point (maybe not Battle). It would sure be nice to have depth at the guard position for a change. But, that does make the lack of an offer for Washington a little weird. But, I have faith in the staff. And, with regard to Griffin, man I loved that guy. His senior year was one of the biggest surprises. He was such a team first guy.

I think Battle will be back. FH looks to be trending to be back based on how he seems to be back in the good graces of the staff.

Didn't he play more his Soph year and then was basically invisible his junior year? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else but I seem to remember it that way. And then he had the big Senior year.

I thought he was good when he played as a freshman and junior. He was just stuck behind Hart and didn't get much of a chance. I remember him having a great BE tourney as a freshman. He also had a big game off the bench against Michigan State in the NCAAs as a junior.

My question about HW is he has 6 triple doubles and he hasn't played the whole season for AI: has he gotten better or does the competition suck? In the games I watched, I couldn't envision him being a triple-double machine.

I thought he was good when he played as a freshman and junior. He was just stuck behind Hart and didn't get much of a chance. I remember him having a great BE tourney as a freshman. He also had a big game off the bench against Michigan State in the NCAAs as a junior.
You guys all have much better memories than I do. I must be fried (and it's not from drugs).

Read SWC's JB radio recap. Unless I'm misinterpreting it, sounds like we want 2 guards.

I'll have to go check it out over lunch.

My question about HW is he has 6 triple doubles and he hasn't played the whole season for AI: has he gotten better or does the competition suck? In the games I watched, I couldn't envision him being a triple-double machine.
The comp in Canada isn't the NEPSAC, that's for sure. He's come nowhere close to those numbers when they have played against top quality prep teams.

Washington's recruitment is probably going to go something like this:

"Eric Ayala, are you going to reclassify?" "No."

Next phone call is to the Washington residence, "have we got an offer for you ..."

Although waiting forever isn't the smartest thing to do.

Kev

Griffin played the 2 his sophomore year. Tony Bland took his job his junior year, then after Hart graduated Griffin played the point.

Yeah that's how I remember it, didn't completely remember the position switch but I remember him playing more minutes as a Soph and showing some flashes and then just was completely AWOL his junior year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom