Howard Washington | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

My interview with Howard Washington. Very impressive kid.

Hoops Q&A: Floor General Howard Washington | Otto's Grove
Great stuff Vince. Really likable kid. My only concern is his athleticism and being able to drive and make plays against ACC guards. I will pulling for him that's for sure.

Every lower ranked recruit is going to surprise that wears Orange, every 50 or better ranked recruit is one and done.

To say it simply, anybody who wears Orange can't fail until they do and that's when the excuses come out.
I agree...wait are you being sarcastic?

Land Tucker, and we have a pretty good chance to be decent next year. He'd provide a lot of offensive firepower, and an infusion of much-needed outside shooting to balance the floor. Of course, that would also require Howard to step up, and other things to fall into place.

Miss out on Tucker, and we're forced to mine the fifth year transfer market.
If we miss out on Tucker we are in a crap load of trouble imo.

That's not true. He posted that Jay-Z could visit the dome twice. I think that's pretty optimistic.

Only said that so when it doesn't happen he can light up G-Mac for it!

Only said that so when it doesn't happen he can light up G-Mac for it!

When Gmac does something I'll give him credit. I don't hammer him or "light him up". I just don't have much positive to say and don't believe he earned his job. Think that's fair to say.

If we miss out on Tucker we are in a crap load of trouble imo.

I still think we are no better than middle of the pack with Tucker. Too many question marks regarding PG and interior D. At least with Battle, TT, and Tucker we will have some games where we just can outscore opponents.

I still think we are no better than middle of the pack with Tucker. Too many question marks regarding PG and interior D. At least with Battle, TT, and Tucker we will have some games where we just can outscore opponents.

Even if we don't add another guard I'm unconvinced that Howard will hold the starting PG spot throughout the season or even until the first game. And that has nothing to do with our other guards, its based purely off of what I saw from Howard last season. There were games where you simply couldn't have him on the floor no matter who else we had to put out there. Hopefully he turns it around and I'm optimistic about Washington just not sure how much of a roll he can play right out of the gate. Tucker solves a huge roster issue but you are correct that we have plenty of others that need to be worked out.

Even if we don't add another guard I'm unconvinced that Howard will hold the starting PG spot throughout the season or even until the first game. And that has nothing to do with our other guards, its based purely off of what I saw from Howard last season. There were games where you simply couldn't have him on the floor no matter who else we had to put out there. Hopefully he turns it around and I'm optimistic about Washington just not sure how much of a roll he can play right out of the gate. Tucker solves a huge roster issue but you are correct that we have plenty of others that need to be worked out.
agreed. Those who have pointed out that AG lost his starting spot and returned to a great senior year, see a comparison with FH/AG that I have yet to see. FH was a huge liability out there last year. He had some horrific turnovers, and truly did not run the team at all. He literally couldn't be out there, as you said. I just don't see how he will be able to run the ship this year without a HUGE improvement. Getting another PG in, whether Ayala, a PG, or whatever, at least gives us someone to turn towards. I just would be very scared to have HW and FH as our two options. Washington even if he turns into a player will need time, as every freshman PG outside of Tyler Ennis/Jonny Flynn has needed.

With what we're losing, White, Gillon, Lydon and even Roberson it is a lot to overcome. That was an NIT team and we're not even in the stratosphere to making up for that production. If Sidbe replicates what Roberson brought, Howard and Gillon we still have White and Lydons production to make up for. Say Battle for White and now we're looking at replacing Battles and Lydons. Tucker can make up quite a bit but not enough to make this team great or even top half of the ACC.

I made a post last season about the lost productivity and was laughed at and we ended up in the NIT.

We lost even more with even less (as we speak) coming in. This is bad and it doesn't seem like everybody can see that, or it's denial.
I just don't think you can look at it the way you're analyzing it. JB seems to think we can be a better defensive team next year with Chukwu and Sidibe in the middle and lots of length on the wings. Maybe he thinks Moyer and Brissett will be more ready than we think. But yes we need a wing that can shot and score, which is why Tucker would be an important recruit to land. There's also the 5th year option to provide scoring punch. I don't know why we're not involved with Geno Thorpe. I think he'd be perfect for our needs and a better landing spot than Pitt or Seton Hall.

Last year we had 4 shooters. Right now we have one. With Tucker it's still only two. Ayala, even if he reclassifies, is not really a big 3 point shooter. We have 4 PFs and 1 C, who happens to be coming off not one but two eye surgeries last year. We have an inconsistent PG with no outside shot, and an under-recruited one who nobody sees as a starter. And we play in the toughest league in the country.

HW can handle the ball, facilitate, and shoot. He will get plenty of time as a freshman. If we miss out on Tucker, then he will be in the top two for 3 point shooting. IMO.

Though he may be the best anyway.

Last year we had 4 shooters. Right now we have one. With Tucker it's still only two. Ayala, even if he reclassifies, is not really a big 3 point shooter. We have 4 PFs and 1 C, who happens to be coming off not one but two eye surgeries last year. We have an inconsistent PG with no outside shot, and an under-recruited one who nobody sees as a starter. And we play in the toughest league in the country.
Last year we had 4 shooters and our offense sucked. If we couldn't hit threes we had zero chance of winning. Perhaps having less shooters will actually force them to run a real offensive set a few times a game.

I agree that we relied too heavily on 3's last year. I think we'll try to have a better offensive scheme and have more set offensive plays, BUT I suspect defenses are going to tightly zone us and dare us to shoot. Battle and whom ever is playing guard will have a hard time penetrating.

20170525_124603.png

Hopefully gunna surprise a lot of us!

I agree that we relied too heavily on 3's last year. I think we'll try to have a better offensive scheme and have more set offensive plays, BUT I suspect defenses are going to tightly zone us and dare us to shoot. Battle and whom ever is playing guard will have a hard time penetrating.

We will have same scheme we've run for a very long time. We are suddenly going to change that? Heck, we've run the exact same out of bounds plays the last handful of years.

Last year we had 4 shooters and our offense sucked. If we couldn't hit threes we had zero chance of winning. Perhaps having less shooters will actually force them to run a real offensive set a few times a game.

At the same time if you can't shoot it's hard to score against a packed paint no matter what set you run.

We lost 5 games last year where we scored at least 70 points. The defense is going to have to be much improved because I don't see this team reaching last seasons offensive output.

At the same time if you can't shoot it's hard to score against a packed paint no matter what set you run.

We lost 5 games last year where we scored at least 70 points. The defense is going to have to be much improved because I don't see this team reaching last seasons offensive output.

It'll be hard for the defense to be worse. We will have more size in the zone. That should help considerably.

yep it was absolutely the defense and not the offense last year that did us in - worst SU defense in many years... I'd have to recheck final numbers but I believe offensive ppg and efficiency was relatively up last year... demise was defense and inconsistent PG play

It'll be hard for the defense to be worse. We will have more size in the zone. That should help considerably.
Speed too I think

yep it was absolutely the defense and not the offense last year that did us in - worst SU defense in many years... I'd have to recheck final numbers but I believe offensive ppg and efficiency was relatively up last year... demise was defense and inconsistent PG play
As bad as the half court D was, a huge problem was the lack of forcing TOs leading to easy points.

I think a big culprit was JG. He was so easy to pass over. I'd go as far as to call him a liability on defense. No matter who is paired with Battle should be a defensive upgrade.

And sometimes he just didn't try(see the Louisville scrub that beat us in OT).

I still think we could have issues. If TT plays the 5 he is worse than Lydon there. The rest of the positions we should be better.

And sometimes he just didn't try(see the Louisville scrub that beat us in OT).

I still think we could have issues. If TT plays the 5 he is worse than Lydon there. The rest of the positions we should be better.

TT will play a lot of 5 and yes, he's worse than Lydon there. Heck, he's worse than pretty much anyone I've seen. One thing he should do is watch the game film against Wake. I think it was that game where TT actually had a decent game against Collins defensively. He moved his feet and denied him the ball and actually held his own. If he gives that sort of effort, maybe he can be okay in there. We need him out there for his offense but if Sidibe is good, maybe JB can yank TT if he's not giving a defensive effort. Perhaps, that lights a fire under him. TT could be a good defender if he gives an effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom