Howard Washington | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Was able to watch a couple of Athlete Institute games this week. Will do a full scouting report write up about Washington and Brissett over the weekend. Look for it to drop on Monday. Will just say that Brissett is a legit top 50 talent and Washington is better suited as a mid-major starter, but can develop into a decent backup for a high major.
Key word... Backup. Will we have a legit starter?

Key word... Backup. Will we have a legit starter?

Possibly -- 5th year transfer, JUCO, international player are the most likely routes to land one at this point.

But we still have an enormous need for backcourt depth overall, which is why it is important for us to land a guy like Duarte even if we also land Ayala as a prospective starter. Ditto Washingto--could fit in that same category as Duarte IMO, not as a starter but as a bench option who bolsters backcourt depth, which has been an issue since 2012.

Recruit over him in 2018. And if he somehow pans out--great.

Possibly -- 5th year transfer, JUCO, international player are the most likely routes to land one at this point.

But we still have an enormous need for backcourt depth overall, which is why it is important for us to land a guy like Duarte even if we also land Ayala as a prospective starter. Ditto Washingto--could fit in that same category as Duarte IMO, not as a starter but as a bench option who bolsters backcourt depth, which has been an issue since 2012.

Here's what I don't get- how do you reclassify to a year earlier than your supposed grad date. How does thag work?

Here's what I don't get- how do you reclassify to a year earlier than your supposed grad date. How does thag work?

Been asking that myself. From what I've assertained, they start taking 4th year-level courses at some point. That is what I've read Ayala is doing already. It still doesn't make sense to me.

I think / believe he was originally going to graduate in 2017, but opted to do a prep school postgraduate year which pushed him into the class of 2018. So, on paper he should be set to graduate in 2017 even if he doesn't go to prep. I say that not knowing anything about his grades, fulfillment of core courses, or standardized test scores--obviously, if he can't check all the right boxes, then him reclassifying to 2017 is a moot point.

But if those check out, then essentially he'd be looking to just graduate on time instead of doing the additional prep season.

I think / believe he was originally going to graduate in 2017, but opted to do a prep school postgraduate year which pushed him into the class of 2018. So, on paper he should be set to graduate in 2017 even if he doesn't go to prep. I say that not knowing anything about his grades, fulfillment of core courses, or standardized test scores--obviously, if he can't check all the right boxes, then him reclassifying to 2017 is a moot point.

But if those check out, then essentially he'd be looking to just graduate on time instead of doing the additional prep season.

Yes, in Ayala's case, he was planning on 2018 entering this school year. A recent article said that he's (now) taking 4th-year courses. I'm not raising any flags at all about his case...I just don't get how these guys seem to wait until the spring of their junior year to definitively decide when they are graduating.

Last edited:
Just like college, each state has a required number of courses in each of several different areas (math, science, language, etc)

It's actually very easy to complete the required course load to graduate early. Most of you could probably have done it, if you really wanted too. (I only needed one credit my senior year in high school to graduate, something that is easily satisfied in summer school) But, as stated, most of these kids reclassify back a year to give themselves an extra year of growth & development. They are usually just taking a bunch of easy electives to pad their grades, so it isn't difficult to reclassify back into your original grade.

Gillon has started to turn a corner, but I'm hesistant to go after another 5th YR for our starting PG. Question is - do we take a Washington and live with the growing pains knowing most likely that we'll have him for 4 years? Or do get a 5th YR and hope he adapts quicker than Gillon? The good thing (optimism) is we won't have so many "core" new guys next year. TT, Battle, Moyer and PC will all have a year in the system. This year we had too many new pieces to try to fit in at once.

Gillon has started to turn a corner, but I'm hesistant to go after another 5th YR for our starting PG. Question is - do we take a Washington and live with the growing pains knowing most likely that we'll have him for 4 years? Or do get a 5th YR and hope he adapts quicker than Gillon? The good thing (optimism) is we won't have so many "core" new guys next year. TT, Battle, Moyer and PC will all have a year in the system. This year we had too many new pieces to try to fit in at once.

insert "why not both" gif here.

Why not sign Washington (or similar), AND a Grad transfer PG.
It's not like we don't have the open schollies, or too many guards on the roster.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a 5th year player. We haven't been thrilled with all of Gillon's year (not consistently), but we have been happy with White. Maybe the next grad PG performs as well as White, and the next grad 2G/SF performs like Gillon. It's a roll of the dice, but that's going to be the case with whoever remains in the High School pool.

We will have plenty of core new guys next year. Battle will be our best player returning and obviously Thompaon should bring a lot (but he's a liability on defense: will that improve?). Moyer knows the system but hasn't played a second in games. PC...uh...well, you know. Lots of new pieces next year in key, core spots. We will be green and not one returning senior.

Is it fair to assume that we want Duarte and ayala... and if either fall thru we will take Washington? But not all 3?

I think they almost have to take Washington at this point. They're mostly back to full scholarships, but they
need at least four more guys, assuming only Lydon leaves. He might not be what they're looking for, but bodies
are required. They can't count on the transfer market providing exactly what they need either. And the guards
on the roster for next year consist of Battle and Howard. Take all three of them, and sign a forward, and hope
they catch some lightning with some underrated guy(s). Unfortunately, that's the point they're at right now.

Kev

I think they almost have to take Washington at this point. They're mostly back to full scholarships, but they
need at least four more guys, assuming only Lydon leaves. He might not be what they're looking for, but bodies
are required. They can't count on the transfer market providing exactly what they need either. And the guards
on the roster for next year consist of Battle and Howard. Take all three of them, and sign a forward, and hope
they catch some lightning with some underrated guy(s). Unfortunately, that's the point they're at right now.

Kev

From all that has transpired, do we have a solid sense that Howard will be back? Anyone on the inside know if he has 'rehabilitated' himself with his teammates/the staff? Some of the team relationship issues will dissipate when certain players graduate/move on, but doesn't some of that stink linger? And were those 'momentary lapses,' or is it an issue with his character? I guess this calls for some of Brennan's "amateur psychologists" to answer...

From all that has transpired, do we have a solid sense that Howard will be back? Anyone on the inside know if he has 'rehabilitated' himself with his teammates/the staff? Some of the team relationship issues will dissipate when certain players graduate/move on, but doesn't some of that stink linger? And were those 'momentary lapses,' or is it an issue with his character? I guess this calls for some of Brennan's "amateur psychologists" to answer...
Stupid question...can you shed some light on the stink. I have no idea what happened. You don't have to air the dirty laundry. Curious to know, is it just surrounding playing time, players calling each other out...etc? Or something off the basketball court?

Kev
if you add all three, but then it turns out that none of Howard, Battle and Lydon leave, then we have a full roster and no room to sign anyone for 2018. that puts you in the position of having to push someone out the door in order to add anyone.

i know it seems unlikely that all three return, but you have to account for that in your planning. the spring signing period doesn't open until mid April and by then the staff will have a better sense of how many slots are available. we'll just have to be patient until then.

Stupid question...can you shed some light on the stink. I have no idea what happened. You don't have to air the dirty laundry. Curious to know, is it just surrounding playing time, players calling each other out...etc? Or something off the basketball court?

I think it has been posted elsewhere, but i just PMd you.

if you add all three, but then it turns out that none of Howard, Battle and Lydon leave, then we have a full roster and no room to sign anyone for 2018. that puts you in the position of having to push someone out the door in order to add anyone.

i know it seems unlikely that all three return, but you have to account for that in your planning. the spring signing period doesn't open until mid April and by then the staff will have a better sense of how many slots are available. we'll just have to be patient until then.

If they don't go this year they'll go next.

We have five scholarships open. If we take Washington, Ayala and Duarte plus a grad transfer, we would still have four to give in 2018.

I just don't see how having a traditional PG who can shoot and run an offense for four years could be a bad thing for us right now. He's not a lottery pick type athlete, but Francis gave him a solid review, and I trust his opinion. And he's not going to scare off Quinerly or any other top PG.

If they don't go this year they'll go next.

We have five scholarships open. If we take Washington, Ayala and Duarte plus a grad transfer, we would still have four to give in 2018.

I just don't see how having a traditional PG who can shoot and run an offense for four years could be a bad thing for us right now. He's not a lottery pick type athlete, but Francis gave him a solid review, and I trust his opinion. And he's not going to scare off Quinerly or any other top PG.
We have 5 scholarships but Sidibe and Brissett have 2 of them. It is possible that Lydon (probable) and Battle (less) will go pro and that would free up 1-2 more scholarships. But, if neither go pro, we would then only have 3 available b/c two of the scholarships have been taken.

Here goes some more numbers on Washington. Last summer in the EYBL (best comp in HS ball imho) he averaged in 20 games 10 PPG, 39% FG, 38% 3PT in 86 attempts, 5 APG, and 4 RPG. In Adidas Nations for Team Canada vs the Top USA squads in 6 games he averaged 11 PPG, 48% FG, 50% 3PT 16-32 overall, 3 RPG, and 2 APG. Has averaged over 40% in 3pt shooting for Team Canada in every national event that he has played in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom