Howard Washington | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

If he was coming to SU you'd be singing a different tune. I think we'll be fine this season with Geno and Howard but I really think Quade wasn't a one and done and we would have been very, very happy if he actually came here.

No doubt, I'd be happy. I'm just happier with what we ended up with. I stayed out of the Quade saga. Doubt I even made a post in his thread. Enjoy those that want to be here. HW is the epitome of that, and I don't see much drop off. I've been a fan of Howard from day one, so I'm biased. Nothing against Quade, but yeah, I feel good where we're at.

If he was coming to SU you'd be singing a different tune. I think we'll be fine this season with Geno and Howard but I really think Quade wasn't a one and done and we would have been very, very happy if he actually came here.

QG's commitment may have also led other recruits to SU. Hard to compare the 2 situations w/o it actually having played out.

Rationalizing since we couldn't get Quade. We'd be in much better shape for next season with Quade. Doesn't mean Howard will be a bad player, but we're not better off with him.
I disagree. Thorpe next year vs Quade isnt even close. Plus the kid has a total lack of character/integrity.

I disagree. Thorpe next year vs Quade isnt even close. Plus the kid has a total lack of character/integrity.
Because the kid changed his mind about which school he would attend, he lacks character and integrity?
Do you say the same thing about kids who have committed elsewhere, then decide to attend SU, including transfers?

Because the kid changed his mind about which school he would attend, he lacks character and integrity?
Do you say the same thing about kids who have committed elsewhere, then decide to attend SU, including transfers?

Sure he does. Still pissed about Tyus Battle going back on his word to UM, and Thorpe leaving his school, and Hughes, and...
:p

Not to mention that Quade might be very good doing his thing at UK. Doubtful he's one and done but I bet he'll run the team just fine.

We have a few posters lately posting in absolutes. Stuff like with certainty about how Frank is going to be great. How Marek is going to kill it. All this with guarantees. Nobody knows nothing. Let's pump the brakes a bit.

We have a few posters lately posting in absolutes. Stuff like with certainty about how Frank is going to be great. How Marek is going to kill it. All this with guarantees. Nobody knows nothing. Let's pump the brakes a bit.
Not to generalize but I've always believed that the tendency to be absolute in one's opinions, especially when it comes to sports, is part and parcel of the smart-alecky, snarky, "I know better than anyone" shout-fests that we see on ESPN and the like.
The trick is usually to put a question mark at the end of a sentence, to mitigate an absolutist position. Ex: "Marek will be an All-ACC player, or is he all hype"? Or: "Trump is guilty of obstruction and collusion, or is it just fake news"?
You state an absolutist position, then soft-shoe it with a counter as inquiry. This tends to put people in "either/or" territory with little room to maneuver. It also tends to incite an argument, as opposed to fully examining all the issue(s). It's fascinating to watch.

Last edited:
Not to generalize but I've always believed that the tendency to be absolute in one's opinions, especially when it comes to sports, is part and parcel of the smart-aleck, snarky, "I know better than anyone" shout-fests that we see on ESPN and the like. The trick is usually to put a question mark at the end of a sentence, to mitigate an absolutist position. Ex: "Marek will be an All-ACC player, or is he all hype"? Or: "Trump is guilty of obstruction and collusion, or is it just fake news"? You state an absolutist position, then soft-shoe it with a counter as inquiry. This tends to put people in "either/or" territory with little room to maneuver. It also tends to incite an argument, as opposed to fully examining all the issue(s). It's fascinating to watch.

I'm ..Ron.. Burgundy?

Not to generalize but I've always believed that the tendency to be absolute in one's opinions, especially when it comes to sports, is part and parcel of the smart-aleck, snarky, "I know better than anyone" shout-fests that we see on ESPN and the like. The trick is usually to put a question mark at the end of a sentence, to mitigate an absolutist position. Ex: "Marek will be an All-ACC player, or is he all hype"? Or: "Trump is guilty of obstruction and collusion, or is it just fake news"? You state an absolutist position, then soft-shoe it with a counter as inquiry. This tends to put people in "either/or" territory with little room to maneuver. It also tends to incite an argument, as opposed to fully examining all the issue(s). It's fascinating to watch.

It is fascinating for sure combined with insulting one's intelligence as well. A simple question mark like you say can make all the difference.

Not to mention that Quade might be very good doing his thing at UK. Doubtful he's one and done but I bet he'll run the team just fine.

I usually go with "I could be wrong, but...(insert hot take)

Not to generalize but I've always believed that the tendency to be absolute in one's opinions, especially when it comes to sports, is part and parcel of the smart-alecky, snarky, "I know better than anyone" shout-fests that we see on ESPN and the like.
The trick is usually to put a question mark at the end of a sentence, to mitigate an absolutist position. Ex: "Marek will be an All-ACC player, or is he all hype"? Or: "Trump is guilty of obstruction and collusion, or is it just fake news"?
You state an absolutist position, then soft-shoe it with a counter as inquiry. This tends to put people in "either/or" territory with little room to maneuver. It also tends to incite an argument, as opposed to fully examining all the issue(s). It's fascinating to watch.

In general, are you absolutely sure a question mark will mitigate an absolutism?

Its not about changing his mind its what enticed him to change.

Its not about changing his mind its what enticed him to change.

Looking back at the whole thing I'm not sure he ever changed his mind. I think SU was his safe landing place and he was fishing for "what changed his mind the whole time". Remember he had a UK offer for quite sometime and it wasn't until 3W sat next to him at MSG that he decided to go to UK.

Last edited:

I hate to say it, but this video doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence that he can contribute in a meaningful way next year. Looks like he needs a lot of work. Doesn't seem to elevate very well on his jumpshot, his release is early in his jump, his release point is low, and he didn't follow through on half the shots shown in the video. Shot needs a fair amount of tweaking. The basics are there, but he will have to work hard with the staff. My hope is that he can be slowly worked into the rotation and play a bigger role as an upperclassman.

I hate to say it, but this video doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence that he can contribute in a meaningful way next year. Looks like he needs a lot of work. Doesn't seem to elevate very well on his jumpshot, his release is early in his jump, his release point is low, and he didn't follow through on half the shots shown in the video. Shot needs a fair amount of tweaking. The basics are there, but he will have to work hard with the staff. My hope is that he can be slowly worked into the rotation and play a bigger role as an upperclassman.

Very fair assessment. I see Washington having a solid four year career here, but share your opinion that he probably won't be able to contribute in a significant fashion for a year or two. I could see him rounding into form as an upperclassman starter / guy who provides quality depth later in his career -- and there's nothing wrong with that, if that's "all" he ends up being.

If his career emulates Greg Monroe's, I'd be satisfied.

Absolutely !!!

This is a Cuse forum - those that change their mind away from us definitely lack character and integrity as well as the mental capacity to make the proper choice. Those that see the light & change their mind to come here clearly are of much higher moral character, have excellent integrity, and smarts.

It is quite black and white or should I say black and orange.

QG's commitment may have also led other recruits to SU. Hard to compare the 2 situations w/o it actually having played out.

Why do people keep saying that Quade would have attracted others ? Maybe, if he had committed very early and hyped up SU during the summer circuits, but the way his commitment went down, no way were other top recruits hanging on breathlessly waiting for HIS WORD.

I think it is very rare that the commitment of a kid has a strong impact on what a second kid will do.

Now, of course, I have no special info on the inside wheelings & dealings, but the last time I can say with near certainty that one kid influenced another to come to SU was probably Jardine & Jackson.

Why do people keep saying that Quade would have attracted others ? Maybe, if he had committed very early and hyped up SU during the summer circuits, but the way his commitment went down, no way were other top recruits hanging on breathlessly waiting for HIS WORD.

I think it is very rare that the commitment of a kid has a strong impact on what a second kid will do.

Now, of course, I have no special info on the inside wheelings & dealings, but the last time I can say with near certainty that one kid influenced another to come to SU was probably Jardine & Jackson.

Yeah, this.
He committed (to UK - ugh) AFTER the Fall signing date - no way he was going to sway anybody to join him
- wherever he went - at that point.

Mmm...did you read the article about changing his jumpshot this summer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom