Howard Washington | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Yes, that's what the tweet says too. Impressive. Kid has to have a great deal of talent to do that. As I said, maybe he's coming into his own and is better than advertised.

Didn't even see that in the original. Must have been all the smoke from the Gillon fire tonight...

I know this seems weird to say but I hope that having Howard, Washington, Duarte and Ayala doesn't scare off a 5th year transfer pg to come here.
Howard will not be back. We can stop factoring him in to 2018 rosters.

Francis, who would you compare Washington's game to, now that you've watched a few games? I compared him to Greg Monroe above--wondering what your thoughts are.

Iommi? Same question.

I did watch a good chunk of AI games. I don't know about the Monroe comparison. Not saying it's a bad one, Monroe didn't make much of an impression on me before he left. I remember Monroe could stroke it from deep and I doubt HW shoots as well. He will be serviceable.

My take on Washington is similar to Francis' but I'm a little bit more bullish on him. He's very good at getting AI into their offense. He has a nice variety of passes. He looks like an old school point guard. Like a guy from the 80's if that makes sense. He's as far from a John Wall type as possible. He initiates the offense well and plays with a calm demeanor. When he played off the ball, he brought little value. His shot is a bit of line drive and his release isn't lightning quick.

I'm struggling to find an SU player to compare him to. I guess Scoop would be the best comparison as far as their games. He looks nothing like Scoop. I wish Washington had some of Scoop's weight. I found Washington to have a lot of the same positives and negatives Scoop brought. On the positive side, they are solid in getting their team into the offense. Like Scoop, his shot isn't pretty but he still managed to score. On the negative side, they both force the issue sometimes. Howard needs to clean up his passing inside, too many passes to guys who are guarded but at least he looks to feed the post. It's like he knows the point guard is supposed to feed the post so he does so even when the pass isn't there. He can't blow by his guy so he sometimes makes a bad pass.

He's been putting up huge numbers lately. Maybe he needed to learn his teammates better after he transferred?

I saw nothing from him on defense. He was just kind of there. Just tried to stay in front of the guy he was guarding but he's not an impact defender.

Last edited:
I did watch a good chunk of AI games. I don't know about the Monroe comparison. Not saying it's a bad one, Monroe didn't make much of an impression on me before he left. I remember Monroe could stroke it from deep and I doubt HW shoots as well. He will be serviceable.

My take on Washington is similar to Francis' but I'm a little bit more bullish on him. He's very good at getting AI into their offense. He has a nice variety of passes. He looks like an old school point guard. Like a guy from the 80's if that makes sense. He's as far from a John Wall type as possible. He initiates the offense well and plays with a calm demeanor. When he played off the ball, he brought little value. His shot is a bit of line drive and his release isn't lightning quick.

I'm struggling to find an SU player to compare him to. I guess Scoop would be the best comparison as far as their games. He looks nothing like Scoop. I wish Washington had some of Scoop's weight. I found Washington to have a lot of the same positives and negatives Scoop brought. On the positive side, they are solid in getting their team into the offense. Like Scoop, his shot isn't pretty but he still managed to score. On the negative side, they both force the issue sometimes. Howard needs to clean up his passing inside, too many passes to guys who are guarded but at least he looks to feed the post. It's like he knows the point guard is supposed to feed the post so he does so even when the pass isn't there. He can't blow by his guy so he sometimes makes a bad pass.

He's been putting up huge numbers lately. Maybe he needed to learn his teammates better after he transferred?

I saw nothing from him on defense. He was just kind of there. Just tried to stay in front of the guy he was guarding but he's not an impact defender.
Thanks for the analysis iommi. From the sounds of it, he's a serviceable player. He's not going to be the star that puts up 20 pts and 10 boards/assists a game, but he would contribute. One rare nights where a match-up might be in his favor he could drop 20, but not on a regular basis.

I would be fine and would actually like the staff to take a chance on this kid. He has skills and would be here for 4 years. We need depth to fill in gaps when other players leave early for the league. I think this would be a smart addition to our team that would prevent a hole in the position like we've had for years.

iommi...who would you rather have, a frosh HW or a jr FH?

iommi...who would you rather have, a frosh HW or a jr FH?
Think I'd rather have a frosh HW, unless FH gets his head squared on straight. It's a tough question, unless I know what FH we'd be getting. I do think HW looks like a point guard, and that's HW's best attribute. FH looks like what he is: a shooting guard who can't shoot, pretending he's a point guard. HW looks much more comfortable with the ball in his hands. As I said, he looks like an old school point guard, like Billy Edelin, minus Billy's amazing skill and size. Not to say that Washington isn't skilled, but Billy was a magician with the ball when he was on his game.

Francis, who would you compare Washington's game to, now that you've watched a few games? I compared him to Greg Monroe above--wondering what your thoughts are.

Iommi? Same question.
Can't really think of a comparison off the top. The canadian folks consider him Tyler Ennis lite. He's not as careful with the rock like Ennis and is willing to take more risks. I think he's a better shooter at this stage, but Ennis was on another level when it came to scoring efficiency on three levels of the floor.

If anything, I think Washington could have a career like Allen Griffin. Not a star, but somebody who plays a role on tourney teams and leaves more appreciated by the fan base than he was coming in.

Francis03 u hearing anything new regarding Howard not being back?
Haven't heard anything definitive yet, but I wouldn't count on him coming back. Only reason why I could see him returning is because the PG depth chart for next season is pretty much fill in the blanks status. That should change once the staff knows what's fully available after the season.

Can't really think of a comparison off the top. The canadian folks consider him Tyler Ennis lite. He's not as careful with the rock like Ennis and is willing to take more risks. I think he's a better shooter at this stage, but Ennis was on another level when it came to scoring efficiency on three levels of the floor.

If anything, I think Washington could have a career like Allen Griffin. Not a star, but somebody who plays a role on tourney teams and leaves more appreciated by the fan base than he was coming in.

Whoa--if he's comparable to Allen Griffin, sign me up!

no offense and please don't take this personally, but I will believe when I see it. the dirt was completely shoveled on to his grave earlier this season, he was supposedly finished here, and yet he keeps playing.
That's cool. You can believe whatever u want. He's on the roster due to a lack of bodies. He won't be back.

No disrespect taken. I'm just passing it along.

Senior year Allen Griffin was fantastic. One of the most improved players to ever wear an SU uniform. Before that, he was not very effective.

Didn't he play more his Soph year and then was basically invisible his junior year? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else but I seem to remember it that way. And then he had the big Senior year.

Didn't he play more his Soph year and then was basically invisible his junior year? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else but I seem to remember it that way. And then he had the big Senior year.

Maybe but I don't remember him playing more his sophomore year.

Yes, he started every game as a soph.

Griffin played the 2 his sophomore year. Tony Bland took his job his junior year, then after Hart graduated Griffin played the point.

IMO Washington can not be the only PG taken in this class if the staff does extend the offer. Whether that means going the grad transfer route, JUCO or bringing in a second freshman PG, taking a flyer on this kid alone is too big of a risk. The program right now can not afford another Joseph type situation with out a secondary plan. We had two 5th year senior guards to bail us out last year, that will not be the case again anytime soon. Nothing against Washington but there is clearly some serious hesitation on him being and ACC level player otherwise the staff would have extended an offer long ago.

IMO Washington can not be the only PG taken in this class if the staff does extend the offer. Whether that means going the grad transfer route, JUCO or bringing in a second freshman PG, taking a flyer on this kid alone is too big of a risk. The program right now can not afford another Joseph type situation with out a secondary plan. We had two 5th year senior guards to bail us out last year, that will not be the case again anytime soon. Nothing against Washington but there is clearly some serious hesitation on him being and ACC level player otherwise the staff would have extended an offer long ago.

I think Washington is the 3rd choice after Ayala and Duarte.

I really like the kid Jordan Walker who is the highest rated PG left after Duval, but he's smaller than Gillon so maybe that turns the staff off? I don't know.

Senior year Allen Griffin was fantastic. One of the most improved players to ever wear an SU uniform. Before that, he was not very effective.

Statistically, I agree with you. Griffin came in one year after Hart, and then backed him up his first year. Played alongside him out of position at the 2 [despite being only 6 feet tall], which wasn't a great fit for his skill set. JB went with a bigger player for the 2000 season in Bland [we started out 19-0 that year], which relegated Griffin to the bench again, but he and Damone Brown stepped up and significantly elevated that tremendously mediocre 2001 team, getting them into the NCAA tournament.

If Griffin's timing had been different [i.e., not arriving one year after an experience 4 year starter manning his position], he would have made a bigger impact than just senior year. He was a terrific player, from a terrific high school program. One of the hardest workers we've ever had in practice, and had a great attitude. Most top 50-ish recruits would have transferred, but he waited for his turn. Kid could ball, and was a tremendous athlete [sounds like Washington might not be].

I think Washington is the 3rd choice after Ayala and Duarte.

I really like the kid Jordan Walker who is the highest rated PG left after Duval, but he's smaller than Gillon so maybe that turns the staff off? I don't know.

I don't think that Washington is mutually exclusive from the other two. Do you think that the staff envisions Duarte as a lead guard?

I don't think that Washington is mutually exclusive from the other two. Do you think that the staff envisions Duarte as a lead guard?

I think Duarte is a two, but who knows what the staff thinks. MCW was a two as well originally and I see a lot of people saying he's a poor mans MCW now. I'd take Washington, but they haven't offered yet. . They must have some reason not to offer...

I vaguely remember Griffin at the 2, now that you guys are mentioning it. One thing I do remember is Griffin became a fantastic point guard his senior year- very physical finisher. Seemed to make a ton of layups and I don't remember him dunking.

I think Duarte is a two, but who knows what the staff thinks. MCW was a two as well originally and I see a lot of people saying he's a poor mans MCW now. I'd take Washington, but they haven't offered yet. . They must have some reason not to offer...

Maybe they have a vibe that an offer would bring a commit and they want to get their ducks in a row first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom