Class of 2018 - PG Jahvon Quinerly (NJ) Transferring from Villanova to Alabama | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jahvon Quinerly (NJ) Transferring from Villanova to Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that early season comeback against Kansas in Kansas City. We went man and Flynn stole Collins lunch about 3 times in a row. Self had to bench Collins to cool him down. I also remember Harris having a crazy block chasing someone down in transition. The type that Lebron has made famous.

I recall. You'd think, after having success playing man against an elite guard/team to win a game, we would have played it down the stretch of more games. Like the loss to 'Nova in the Dome, for instance.

It certainly would have worked well that season. And I'm not talking 100% of the time just switch to it when the other team is getting comfortable against the zone.

Just looking at it logically though, and by no means am I saying we must be 100% zone, but from the above:

Collins ran out of gas in that game. I'm not saying that the type of defense didn't help finish him off, but the larger point was it was early season and his conditioning broke down to some degree. Could have happened earlier if we played man the whole game or maybe he would have been more comfortable against man and mental fatrigue wouldn't have settled in (I don't know, just throwing it out there, the point is the only thing we do know for sure was he was definitely gassed at the end).

Paul Harris' crazy block had nothing to do with what defense were in, it was a transition play.

That season ended with us getting smoked by Oklahoma. I'm not sure who we would have had guarding Blake Griffin in man-to-man, but doubt we had anyone who could do it (Harris? Clearly didn't have the height, but maybe he could have bull dogged him a little?), they also had the typical guy go crazy from 3 point range and possibly switching from zone could have stopped that but a reasonable argument could have been made that if Devo was too lazy to cover the guy in zone, he would have been too lazy to cover him in man. Again, I don't know. What I do know is that when played properly with correct type of personnel, the zone stops 3 point makes better than 85% of the nations man to man defenses do.

Just looking at it logically though, and by no means am I saying we must be 100% zone, but from the above:

Collins ran out of gas in that game. I'm not saying that the type of defense didn't help finish him off, but the larger point was it was early season and his conditioning broke down to some degree. Could have happened earlier if we played man the whole game or maybe he would have been more comfortable against man and mental fatrigue wouldn't have settled in (I don't know, just throwing it out there, the point is the only thing we do know for sure was he was definitely gassed at the end).

Paul Harris' crazy block had nothing to do with what defense were in, it was a transition play.

That season ended with us getting smoked by Oklahoma. I'm not sure who we would have had guarding Blake Griffin in man-to-man, but doubt we had anyone who could do it (Harris? Clearly didn't have the height, but maybe he could have bull dogged him a little?), they also had the typical guy go crazy from 3 point range and possibly switching from zone could have stopped that but a reasonable argument could have been made that if Devo was too lazy to cover the guy in zone, he would have been too lazy to cover him in man. Again, I don't know. What I do know is that when played properly with correct type of personnel, the zone stops 3 point makes better than 85% of the nations man to man defenses do.

The zone itself is a great defense in college if the guys play it well. Like any defense it can be had and having something else to go to only makes sense. I'm not against the zone at all just agreeing that using it 100% of the time makes us easier to figure out and prepare for.

Your wrong about Collins. We went m2m Flynn picked him up full court and he couldn't get the ball up court against him multiple times. Sure he could have been gassed a bit but Flynn stole his lunch and his shorts and Self sat him.

I threw the Harris block in because it was awesome. Obviously it was transition defense and nothing to do with man or zone.

That team couldn't have played a ton of m2m. We weren't deep enough and I don't think the bigs were great in that defense. That said it would have helped when struggling to go man since Harris could guard 1-3 and Flynn could stop any guard. Plus it seemed to energize them.

To be fair - that worked out well for them, not necessarily for us. Ennis and Flynn combined to lead their teams to virtually nothing of significance. I am not saying it was their fault, but Boeheim runs a zone system. It is just a fact and him recruiting to the system he runs isn't a weakness. Anybody may particularly like or dislike the system and the type of personnel it requires, but it just is. I do not think we have taken poor skilled guys just to get size but even if we did, those poor skill guys have been able to lead their teams further because when the system works, it is extremely effective.

I agree, but Flynn helped get us out of the NIT streak, so that wasn't insignificant. Ennis: 25-0. Just joking on that one: I couldn't care less about that. That season ended in a thud. I don't want to get into the zone crap in this thread.

Speaking of that Sweet 16 loss to Oklahoma in Memphis... I saw Paul Harris out wandering Beale Street by himself not too long after that game. To me it was telling that he was out and wouldn't be returning.

Why then is playing all man-to-man not equally awful?
Year after year SU's defensive stats are among the best in the country.
I don't think I ever said playing all of any kind of defense is a good move. Need to switch it up, and most importantly play to the strengths of your players. Yes we've had a lot of success with our zone. But when this years team flat out sucked at it, as a coach you need to consider other options. Ya know the saying...the definition of insanity!

Announcing tonight, hope for Nova
Wow, Nova is straight killing it this year. Slater, Swider and Quinerly. If so, they will win a ton of games coming up.

Interesting development though if he does announce for Nova. Surprised we jumped out of this race. Kinda was thinking he was talking blue bloods only, Kansas, AZ, etc., which gave us the sense he wasn't at all interested in staying local. Anyway, just thinking out loud. He's a top 20 talent from NJ, PG, I mean those are right in our sweet spots. If he goes to Nova, I am not sure why we didn't pursue harder. Unless he just was never interested, which I thought he was for a while. Francis03 any thoughts?

Are you thinking that would remove them as a threat with Carey?

Im sure theyll still gonafter him hard and Wright will push the three guard offense but Carey will want the ball in his hands imo. Quinerly is a multi year player too not to mention that Divencenzo still has two years left

Last edited:
Wow, Nova is straight killing it this year. Slater, Swider and Quinerly. If so, they will win a ton of games coming up.

Interesting development though if he does announce for Nova. Surprised we jumped out of this race. Kinda was thinking he was talking blue bloods only, Kansas, AZ, etc., which gave us the sense he wasn't at all interested in staying local. Anyway, just thinking out loud. He's a top 20 talent from NJ, PG, I mean those are right in our sweet spots. If he goes to Nova, I am not sure why we didn't pursue harder. Unless he just was never interested, which I thought he was for a while. Francis03 any thoughts?

1) Hop was recruiting him and it hurt when Hop left. 2) Quinerly has publicly stated that he doesn't want to play zone. We had *zippo* chance at landing him once Hop left so no use wasting resources on him. (That said, I love this kid's game).

Zona, but please be wrong. Nova will end up our biggest competition for Carey.

Andrew Slater said it was over an hour ago..."Arizona acquired him[Quinerly]"

Let's hope Carey remembers who had him priority number one the whole time. It wasn't Villanova... I hope Nova's increased interest is transparent now that Quinerly signed with Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom