Class of 2018 - PG Jahvon Quinerly (NJ) Transferring from Villanova to Alabama | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jahvon Quinerly (NJ) Transferring from Villanova to Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean why isn't Hop being more active in recruiting. Reading this thread from the beginning is what drives a lot of the frustration people are feeling for the program.
Why we aren't go hard after these top 10 PGs when it's a position of need makes you question what the hell is going on.

I mean why isn't Hop being more active in recruiting. Reading this thread from the beginning is what drives a lot of the frustration people are feeling for the program.
Why we aren't go hard after these top 10 PGs when it's a position of need makes you question what the hell is going on.

I'm just at a loss for words at this point. Honestly, what are the coaches doing up there outside of practice or games? I mean it's their full time job so I assume they're working 40 hours a week. I know the only real wrinkle we'll throw at teams offensively is deciding how deep in the shot clock we'll set the high ball screen so that meeting probably takes all of 10 minutes. I know they aren't spending their time traveling to recruit and fix the roster. Our defensive game plan has been the same for over a decade so no need to spend much time there. Player development hasn't been exceptional. 5 star recruits in our "recruiting region" at a position of need are saying a month before their decision date that they don't even know if we're recruiting them or not so safe to say we aren't working the phones too hard. They knew we would need guards to fill the roster in 2017-18 and we have none coming in which means a year from now we'll be in the same position except we won't have Battle returning. Meanwhile, a school relatively close to campus has 2 top 50 guards including a pg who is our hands down best option to help turn things around and we can't find time to drive to NJ once all season.

My frustrations are rooted in the fact that I can't say with confidence that our staff is doing the bare minimum when it comes to recruiting and building a roster. They're paid very well to manage a college basketball program and come off as putting less thought into it than my league's cellar dweller puts into our fantasy football league. I'm just grateful Gary Battle bailed us out or else I don't even want to think about what next year's roster would look like.

Last edited:
I'm just at a loss for words at this point. Honestly, what are the coaches doing up there outside of practice or games? I mean it's their full time job so I assume they're working 40 hours a week. I know the only real wrinkle we'll throw at teams offensively is deciding how deep in the shot clock we'll set the high ball screen so that meeting probably takes all of 10 minutes. I know they aren't spending their time traveling to recruit and fix the roster. Our defensive game plan has been the same for over a decade so no need to spend much time there. Player development hasn't been exceptional. 5 star recruits in our "recruiting region" at a position of need are saying a month before their decision date that they don't even know if we're recruiting them or not so safe to say we aren't working the phones too hard. They knew we would need guards to fill the roster in 2017-18 and we have none coming in which means a year from now we'll be in the same position except we won't have Battle returning. Meanwhile, a school relatively close to campus has 2 top 50 guards including a pg who is our hands down best option to help turn things around and we can't find time to drive to NJ once all season.

My frustrations are rooted in the fact that I can't say with confidence that our staff is doing the bare minimum when it comes to recruiting and building a roster. They're paid very well to manage a college basketball program and come off as putting less thought into it than my league's cellar dweller puts into our fantasy football league. I'm just grateful Gary Battle bailed us out or else I don't even want to think about what next year's roster would look like.
Syracuse fans while all guard recruits are being scooped up by others.

We are getting out-worked. Take Wake for example, better class coming in, and now the results are spilling out onto the court. Our coaches need a shot in the arm - hopefully yesterday was it.
Because Danny Manning is out recruiting and not relying on his no-name underlings to win recruiting battles.

You nailed it. Sure doesn't seem like we are out working everybody. Kinda seems like complacency has set in. We all know Autry wants a head job, and is probably a bit focused on that, GMAC is out there learning on the fly, and they are entrusting him to beat out Calipari for a recruit by himself, which is insane. Hop was doing USA basketball work all summer, and JB is sleeping at the few tourney's he makes it too. Add to that the frustration we have about the lack of game planning, and/or in game changes being made to avoid getting beat by inferior teams, and the fear that we are phoning it in a bit, is ever present. Everyone assumes JB wants to go out a winner, and I am sure he does, but he has been a "winner," every year he has been at the school. At 72 years old, I am sure he is confident he can make it happen will little to no work at this point. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case, aided by NCAA restrictions.

You nailed it. Sure doesn't seem like we are out working everybody. Kinda seems like complacency has set in. We all know Autry wants a head job, and is probably a bit focused on that, GMAC is out there learning on the fly, and they are entrusting him to beat out Calipari for a recruit by himself, which is insane. Hop was doing USA basketball work all summer, and JB is sleeping at the few tourney's he makes it too. Add to that the frustration we have about the lack of game planning, and/or in game changes being made to avoid getting beat by inferior teams, and the fear that we are phoning it in a bit, is ever present. Everyone assumes JB wants to go out a winner, and I am sure he does, but he has been a "winner," every year he has been at the school. At 72 years old, I am sure he is confident he can make it happen will little to no work at this point. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case, aided by NCAA restrictions.

I can accept / believe that JB isn't out there beating the brush as his career winds down, but it would be inexcusable for Hopkins not to be, given how close he is to taking over.

You'd think that he'd be pounding the pavement ten times as hard as everybody else to set himself up for success. It's not like the guy suddenly forgot how to recruit, and doesn't understand the holes we have on the roster.

What gives?

We could really use a commitment bad just to get some positive momentum started...

I can accept / believe that JB isn't out there beating the brush as his career winds down, but it would be inexcusable for Hopkins not to be, given how close he is to taking over.

You'd think that he'd be pounding the pavement ten times as hard as everybody else to set himself up for success. It's not like the guy suddenly forgot how to recruit, and doesn't understand the holes we have on the roster.

What gives?

We could really use a commitment bad just to get some positive momentum started...
Totally agree, we need something positive.

This handing of the keys to Hopkins seems a lot like when Eddie Sutton left Oklahoma State a while back. I think Boeheim should of retired before this year started. Who knows how Hopkins would of coached this team, but I feel the zone should of been shelved for this year because of the personal. Nobody will admit that but its the truth.

It's a lot easier to accept when a kid like Quade Green goes elsewhere knowing the staff did all they could. But if they aren't grinding like everyone else, it's feels really unacceptable. We aren't Duke or Kentucky--we can't just use our name to get kids. This should be pretty apparent, especially after recent Final Fours. And it's a lot easier to land kids when you are in it from the get go. Dropping in this summer to go after Quinerly or other studs will not work.

This handing of the keys to Hopkins seems a lot like when Eddie Sutton left Oklahoma State a while back. I think Boeheim should of retired before this year started. Who knows how Hopkins would of coached this team, but I feel the zone should of been shelved for this year because of the personal. Nobody will admit that but its the truth.
I hate the grammar police as much as the next guy, but "should have" or "should've" and "would have" or "would've".

It's a lot easier to accept when a kid like Quade Green goes elsewhere knowing the staff did all they could. But if they aren't grinding like everyone else, it's feels really unacceptable. We aren't Duke or Kentucky--we can't just use our name to get kids. This should be pretty apparent, especially after recent Final Fours. And it's a lot easier to land kids when you are in it from the get go. Dropping in this summer to go after Quinerly or other studs will not work.

Agree 100%. You aren't going to get every kid that you want, but there is no excuse for not working hard enough. Recruiting never sleeps -- it is a 24/7/365 commitment. And that's no exaggeration.

Staffs that aren't willing to put in that level of effort get outworked, and I think we've seen a lot of recent evidence to suggest that things have slipped.

I've got to believe that there is a strategy in place with Hop that we're just not aware of--right? [crickets] I mean, there has to be.

agree. While it seemed super streamlined years back when it was announced, it is presenting much less organized. Not sure if there is tension or lack of communication, but I don't get the sense there has been a natural hand off to Hop to plan 2018 for his own. Its like everyone is in limbo waiting for the old man to leave.

Agree 100%. You aren't going to get every kid that you want, but there is no excuse for not working hard enough. Recruiting never sleeps -- it is a 24/7/365 commitment. And that's no exaggeration.

Staffs that aren't willing to put in that level of effort get outworked, and I think we've seen a lot of recent evidence to suggest that things have slipped.

I've got to believe that there is a strategy in place with Hop that we're just not aware of--right? [crickets] I mean, there has to b
e.

Guys get paid heavy salaries to get these kids to commit. They are well compensated for the rigors of the 24/7 job that is recruiting. I am totally with you, and feel exactly the same about your last sentence. There has to be a plan for Hop, however, they sure aren't showing it. So maybe, there isn't?

What gives?

It just seems so unbelievable, so what is really going on? Is there something behind the scenes? Hop is known as a recruiter, has been a good recruiter for us and is going to transition to the biggest job of his life. Yet, he's not out recruiting like we need him to. It's crazy.

My fear is two-part. Being outworked on the recruiting trail and what you alluded to in the first paragraph. Why would elite recruits want to come to such a stale and pedestrian offensive system? We know the defense will change some with Hop but I seriously worry about the offensive scheme now and later without some tremendous ISO talents.

My fear is two-part. Being outworked on the recruiting trail and what you alluded to in the first paragraph. Why would elite recruits want to come to such a stale and pedestrian offensive system? We know the defense will change some with Hop but I seriously worry about the offensive scheme now and later without some tremendous ISO talents.

Agreed, if Hop and JB are going to spend their summers in Brazil with team USA and not helping our program recruit then the least they could do is come back with a new offensive set or two.

Jahvon Quinerly vs. Jordan Walker...
I would take either one of those two at this point, but gun to head Quinerly would be top pick, which probably would be everyone's consensus.

Get him and that's 2 Gatorade Players of the Year from NJ. Battle, last year and Quinerly this.

gatorade hoops.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors