Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

We are Syracuse we can't just quit recruiting a kid because another team offered. We have offered other guards but Carey is our 1st choice.

I have no idea if Carey will end up in orange or not but all you can ask of the staff is to do everything in their power to put us in the best possible position to receive his commitment. I've been critical of the staff in the past because I thought we weren't close to doing that but with Carey I think we're doing everything we can.

And to build on your point, if you want good players you're going to have to beat out good programs to get them. If nobody good wants the players you're bringing in that's a red flag more often than not.

The staff's all over Carey, even Boeheim's attending what he can. We are "showing love" and have been for far longer than Arizona and Villanova. Of course these are formidable schools that have had a bit more recent success than us. However, I see no reason to feel worse about this recruitment this week than last week.

I'm just still gun shy over the Quade Green, Brandon Randolph recruitment. Arizona is def on a different level than Cuse but maybe with JB so active this summer it can help get recruitment back to where it needs to be.
In what way is Arizona's basketball program on a different level than SU's?

They've gotten more/higher ranked recruits the past few cycles than we have.
For a few years now.
Been right behind UK and Duke in that regard.

We haven't had a higher ranked class than 'Zona since 2010, according to ESPN.
Or 2013, according to Two Fo Seven.

think he meant their recruiting - which has been on a diff level past few years - almost on same level as duke/uk
That's fair. Still don't see them getting too involved in Carey's recruitment.

Hasn't Zona already picked up a verbal from a 2018 Top 30 PG?

A lot of these programs are recruiting him to be more of a combo/off the ball player..or run two sets of pgs..similar to what KU did this past year

They've gotten more/higher ranked recruits the past few cycles than we have.
For a few years now.
Been right behind UK and Duke in that regard.

We haven't had a higher ranked class than 'Zona since 2010, according to ESPN.
Or 2013, according to Two Fo Seven.

That's cool... I'll take our two final four runs over their higher ranked recruiting classes during that span.

As for the Arizona and Villanova offers; you can never be scared away by that. Especially Arizona that is in a different time zone. I like seeing that we're recruiting kids that other big boys are after.

Recruiting. They have landed top guys and done a better job than the Orange in that dept since Sean Miller landed there.

Recruiting. They have landed top guys and done a better job than the Orange in that dept since Sean Miller landed there.
Recruiting is measured by wins on the court, not an arbitrary number some site gives you. Syracuse went to two final fours, how many did Arizona go to? I think Syracuse did a better job of recruiting since Sean Miller took over.

Recruiting is measured by wins on the court, not an arbitrary number some site gives you. Syracuse went to two final fours, how many did Arizona go to? I think Syracuse did a better job of recruiting since Sean Miller took over.

You can make a case that Sean Miller is a better recruiter than JB. He certainly has brought in a lot of talent there. However, a coach has to do more than just recruit, like actually coach the players. Look how bad Duke was when Coach K was having operations and was missing time. Same players different coach and the team was terrible. JB is up in that same tier as Coach K. Miller most definitely is not.

You can make a case that Sean Miller is a better recruiter than JB. He certainly has brought in a lot of talent there. However, a coach has to do more than just recruit, like actually coach the players. Look how bad Duke was when Coach K was having operations and was missing time. Same players different coach and the team was terrible. JB is up in that same tier as Coach K. Miller most definitely is not.
Their 2012 class was Tarczewski, Jerrett, Ashley, and York. Not one of those guys is in the NBA currently, if they were as talented as their "rating" suggested at least one of them would have made it. That was crowed as a top 3 class.

Sean Miller did a phenomenal coaching job at Xavier. He's a great coach.

Don't. Guy has been here 5 minutes and might just be a troll.

Def not a troll. I love the Orange as much as anyone. I also would never troll bnoro as I appreciat his info on this site, along with yours,

Been here alot longer than 5 minutes. I love this site and def no troll. I appreciate bnoro info on this site as much as anyone's. I think k the same about you also Dasher. Yes, I don't post much but I read everyday. On this matter, I disagree with bnoro(but still respect his opinion) as I think recruits look at Arizona in a higher regards today than they do with Syracuse. I'm hoping JB being as active as he has this summer since Hop has left gets Cuse landing their top targets every year again and we as fans can see another National Championship trophy come to the Melo Center, and I hope it's Jalen Carey running PG for that team!

I don't think that acknowledging that Arizona has had more success recently --certainly recruiting, but also even on the court is that ridiculous. I mean, they've won 32, 25, 34, and 33 games in the past 4 years. That's pretty good. Sure, they've underperformed in the post-season, but 2 elite 8s and a sweet 16 isn't terrible either. In fact, I'd argue that their success is very similar to our amazing run from 2008-2012. A lot of elite teams that didn't quite meet expectations in the tournament. Of course, we did make the final 4 the next year with a rather flawed team, so that was amazing!

I don't think that acknowledging that Arizona has had more success recently --certainly recruiting, but also even on the court is that ridiculous. I mean, they've won 32, 25, 34, and 33 games in the past 4 years. That's pretty good. Sure, they've underperformed in the post-season, but 2 elite 8s and a sweet 16 isn't terrible either. In fact, I'd argue that their success is very similar to our amazing run from 2008-2012. A lot of elite teams that didn't quite meet expectations in the tournament. Of course, we did make the final 4 the next year with a rather flawed team, so that was amazing!
During that run, we lost our starting center each time we were a 1 seed right before the tournament. Not a small matter.

During that run, we lost our starting center each time we were a 1 seed right before the tournament. Not a small matter.

Hurts almost as much as Keith Smart, especially AO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom