Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
That one was more of a...here’s the reality, come to SU if you want
A lot of the posters and coaches liked him (including me). If he was 2021 instead of 2019, I am sure he would be an Orangeman

A lot of the posters and coaches liked him (including me). If he was 2021 instead of 2019, I am sure he would be an Orangeman
It was still pretty murky with 2020. Least the coaches were honest with him. He wanted to come here but wanted PT. Can’t fault him for that but I truly think HW might transfer so he only woulda rode the pine for a year. Oh well

still suprises me these kids can pass the test to compete in HS as 8th graders.
The NYS rule allows for appeals. At least it did a number of years ago. I coached tennis and had a player that we appealed. He had passed all but 1 or 2 of the physical tests and was able to compete successfully on our varsity.

I was a sectional chair when the rule was rolled out. I remember lodging my concerns with the association at one of their annual meetings but it was clear that they were totally committed to implementing the rule. One of the big concerns they cited were smaller schools that were pushing kids that weren't ready for high level competition onto JV and Varsity teams because they needed bodies. They only exempted one sport, I think it was golf or bowling from the rule. Have no idea how the rule is implemented today but I doubt it has changed too much.

Probably right. Got him on the back end, albeit in a different sport.

That was what, 15 years ago?

It was awhile ago but how many truly top flight kids come from syracuse? Who is the last one we got—brandon triche?

The NYS rule allows for appeals. At least it did a number of years ago. I coached tennis and had a player that we appealed. He had passed all but 1 or 2 of the physical tests and was able to compete successfully on our varsity.
My brother was able to do tennis as a 7th grader.

Probably right. Got him on the back end, albeit in a different sport.

That was what, 15 years ago?
There is a rumored back story that his dad wanted a promise that he would start as a freshman, and we had another guy at that position, and JB wouldn't make the promise. Unknown if true.

Sounds like if UNC doesn’t offer we’ll be in a great spot

Sounds like if UNC doesn’t offer we’ll be in a great spot

I also think that being a fan of a program doesn't mean that UNC will be the right school for him. He could find out that he doesn't fit well with the players and coaches they have.

*I almost pointed out that just because he cheered for Dean Smith teams that the program is very different today, then I remembered that Roy has been the coach of UNC for this kid's whole life and that I am very old.

I also think that being a fan of a program doesn't mean that UNC will be the right school for him. He could find out that he doesn't fit well with the players and coaches they have.

*I almost pointed out that just because he cheered for Dean Smith teams that the program is very different today, then I remembered that Roy has been the coach of UNC for this kid's whole life and that I am very old.
Danggummit, we don't cotton to those kind of shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.