Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who can resist good ole Roy Boy waterworks session?

I’ve said this before but my daughter played with his older sister during HS and I’d talk to the fam and jj a little back when he was a grade schooler. Even then the kid had a crush on UNC. Hopefully it was just youthful exuberance.

Its hard to like any kid from cny that wears Duke or UNC gear. The orphanage should be full of them

Truly hope you just forgot your sarcasm font

Then why even contemplate Washington if what I think you are inferring, happens? His ties to the east coast has to be waning, he’s 2900 miles away now, thought he’d concentrate more on developing his own west coast ties. Starling was in 7th grade when Hop left SU.
I don't think he has to sacrifice one for the other. He's a high energy guy. He'll probably try to get kids from wherever he thinks he can. There's no reason he can't maintain relationships in the east while growing them in the west. JB had to go out west to get Hop at one point, Stevie Thompson too.

Last edited:
I don't think he has to sacrifice one for the other. He's a high energy guy. He'll probably try to get kids from wherever he thinks he can. There's reason he can't maintain relationships in the east while growing them in the west. JB had to go out west to get Hop at one point, Stevie Thompson too.

Then UCLA (can’t recall who was the coach) said it was time that they kept their own kids home and not East in Syracuse and it happened - we no longer got kids from there.

Then UCLA (can’t recall who was the coach) said it was time that they kept their own kids home and not East in Syracuse and it happened - we no longer got kids from there.
Sleazy Jim Harrick, former Bruin coach

Ok. But other coaches continued to recruit nationally. K got Marvin Bagley from Arizona, Frank Jackson from Utah, and Derryck Thornton from Los Angeles in recent years.

Just because a coach says, "We need to stop letting kids leave the area," doesn't mean kids won't leave or that opposing coaches can't try. If Hop has ties anywhere, it makes sense for him to try to utilize them. It would be stupid to ignore them just because he is in a different location. That's true of any coach.

He sounds like a grounded kid. My niece had a class with him. She said she doesn't know him that well but said when BVille made a big deal about him at a pep rally this year, he wasn't happy because he doesn't like the attention.

Ok. But other coaches continued to recruit nationally. K got Marvin Bagley from Arizona, Frank Jackson from Utah, and Derryck Thornton from Los Angeles in recent years.

Just because a coach says, "We need to stop letting kids leave the area," doesn't mean kids won't leave or that opposing coaches can't try. If Hop has ties anywhere, it makes sense for him to try to utilize them. It would be stupid to ignore them just because he is in a different location. That's true of any coach.
You can't compare Duke with Washington. Duke has recruited nationally for 3 decades or more. Now, when K retires, this situation will likely change.

You can't compare Duke with Washington. Duke has recruited nationally for 3 decades or more. Now, when K retires, this situation will likely change.
Apparently Washington has recruited nationally since Hopkins got there. Where is his best player from? Who suddenly wrote the rules that you have to recruit on your side of the Mississippi?

I'm not doing the research, but I'm sure other coaches recruit nationally. If you like a kid and think you have a shot at him, you recruit him. Just because JB decided not to recruit nationally at some point, doesn't mean Hopkins has to. I'm really surprised anyone is bent out of shape over him coming east to recruit.

Last edited:
Apparently Washington has recruited natuonally since Hopkins got there. Where is his best player from? Who suddenly wrote the rules that you have to recruit on your side of the Mississippi?

I'm not doing the research, but I'm sure other coaches recruit nationally. If you like a kid and think you have a shot at him, you recruit him. Just because JB decided not to recruit nationally at sime point, doesn't mean Hopkins has to. I'm really surprised anyone is bent out of shape over him coming east to recruit.

Hop had existing relationships w these kids and schools from his many years at Cuse, so he’d be crazy not to at least try to recruit these guys.

That said, since he’s no longer on the east coast, those relationships will wane.

Lorenzo Romar recruited a ton of talented guys to U-Dub, but the overwhelming majority were from the Pacific time zone.

That’s what’s going to happen to Hop moving forward.
Assuming he even continues to have any recruiting success, period.

He’s likely pulled the last east coast recruiting rabbit out of his hat already.

Hop had existing relationships w these kids and schools from his many years at Cuse, so he’d be crazy not to at least try to recruit these guys.

That said, since he’s no longer on the east coast, those relationships will wane.

Lorenzo Romar recruited a ton of talented guys to U-Dub, but the overwhelming majority were from the Pacific time zone.

What you say makes sense, but there are some people on here that act as if he isn't allowed on this side of the country. It makes sense that he would mine whatever he can for as long as he can.

What you say makes sense, but there are some people on here that act as if he isn't allowed on this side of the country. It makes sense that he would mine whatever he can for as long as he can.

I can see both sides. Hop was being paid by SU to build a relationship with these kids and recruit them to play for SU. In theses cases the relationship was built over years while he was employed by SU and therefore Hop should back off. On the other hand someone else is now paying him to go after the same kids.
I root for SU, always have and always will. I hope Hop does well, just not against us.

He’s likely pulled the last east coast recruiting rabbit out of his hat already.
the most important relationships are with the high school coaches & the aau programs. they will have as long a life as hop wants. but maintaining them will come at the cost of developing & maintaining similar ties on the west coast. a few coaches/staffs are able to recruit nationally, but most identify a handful of talent rich areas and stick to them

I can see both sides. Hop was being paid by SU to build a relationship with these kids and recruit them to play for SU. In theses cases the relationship was built over years while he was employed by SU and therefore Hop should back off. On the other hand someone else is now paying him to go after the same kids.
I root for SU, always have and always will. I hope Hop does well, just not against us.
Has a coach that moved on to another job ever just cut ties with his established recruiting connections? I highly doubt it.

Has a coach that moved on to another job ever just cut ties with his established recruiting connections? I highly doubt it.
deliberately cut them? no. but ~3000 miles lends to their atrophy

deliberately cut them? no. but ~3000 miles lends to their atrophy
That's fine. It doesn't explain why some people on here act almost insulted that he dare to recruit someone on this side of the country.

Just saw this kid play tonite. Competition was weak as opponent team had multiple suspensions of starters but WOW! He's a major talent and I believe would be a welcome addition to SU no matter the situation. Absent injury this kid is going to be a great player in college.

He's very smooth and has a knockdown jumper. Im pretty sure he's older than his grade represents but that's the way it works these days.

I know everyone is caught up with Dior (and rightfully so) but I really hope this kid stays on our radar. Imo, he's the real deal.

Just saw this kid play tonite. Competition was weak as opponent team had multiple suspensions of starters but WOW! He's a major talent and I believe would be a welcome addition to SU no matter the situation. Absent injury this kid is going to be a great player in college.

He's very smooth and has a knockdown jumper. Im pretty sure he's older than his grade represents but that's the way it works these days.

I know everyone is caught up with Dior (and rightfully so) but I really hope this kid stays on our radar. Imo, he's the real deal.

He’s supposedly one of the best shooters in his class.

IF we somehow didn’t get Westry, then JJ would be an amazing get for us.

Seems highly unlikely he’d be a 3rd guard in that class, understandably so.

Also - IF he gets a UNC offer - he gone

He’s supposedly one of the best shooters in his class.

IF we somehow didn’t get Westry, then JJ would be an amazing get for us.

Seems highly unlikely he’d be a 3rd guard in that class, understandably so.

Also - IF he gets a UNC offer - he gone
In 2023-

PG - Starling (Sophomore)
SG - Kadary (Senior)
SF - Westry (Sophomore)

Status
Not open for further replies.