Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
721 Comstock said
"...But, as is always the case, it's up to him if Syracuse is a "take" or not.
And given his supposed fandom of UNCheat, don't be surprised if he ends up there..."

But will Roy Williams be retired by then. He clearly (no I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV) doesn't seem to be as healthy as K is at Duke, or JAB appears to be! Yes the UNC program will go on, but I can clearly see why a kid would love to play for Roy Williams ! Maybe, just maybe not so much for his future replacement.
Can anyone say Matt Doherty ??
Finally to Roy Williams, "live long and prosper" , just not against Syracuse.

He's a take regardless.

One of the elite shooters in his class, who is also a PG - which means he can be a combo for us, and either play SG with Dior, or play PG if Dior ends up elsewhere.

I'm of the camp that thinks the G League $ isn't enough of an enticement to make Dior opt for that route.
Now, if NBA becomes None and Done, he might go directly to the Association.
But if his Pro career goes like it should, $125k will just be a rounding error in his career earnings and endorsements.

But, as is always the case, it's up to him if Syracuse is a "take" or not.
And given his supposed fandom of UNCheat, don't be surprised if he ends up there.
I'm all for big guards with true PG skill sets playing SG if they are good shooters. IMO, that would be the ideal scenario. But only with a true PG playing PG, if that makes sense.

I really like the thought of pairing Dior with JJ in this way. That possibility is so far off though.

We need to be all over this kid. The Odds are not in our favor for Dior.

I share your concern but am slightly more optimistic that Dior values the college stage enough to defer his inevitable payday. I really like JJ as well, but what's the approach SU uses to go hard after him when Starling clearly knows Johnson is slated as the starting point guard? Also, Dior's sales job with other top recruits sets up a dangerous house of cards. He could be a main reason why some combination of kids like Westry, Cruz, Etienne, or Williams decide to come here. If he ultimately doesn't, do we lose a whole class with him and end up empty-handed? It's great to have Dior, at least for now, but the uncertainty is pretty scary.

I share your concern but am slightly more optimistic that Dior values the college stage enough to defer his inevitable payday. I really like JJ as well, but what's the approach SU uses to go hard after him when Starling clearly knows Johnson is slated as the starting point guard? Also, Dior's sales job with other top recruits sets up a dangerous house of cards. He could be a main reason why some combination of kids like Westry, Cruz, Etienne, or Williams decide to come here. If he ultimately doesn't, do we lose a whole class with him and end up empty-handed? It's great to have Dior, at least for now, but the uncertainty is pretty scary.
I would hope the staff has learned not to put all their eggs in one basket. The only reason for Dior to attend college is if he is convinced it will significantly increase his initial contract. If he was allowed he could go pro today and sign a lucrative shoe deal. G league/shoe deal money for him will be 7 figures coming out of Oak Hill. Will he be willing to forgo that to play a year at Cuse is the question.

This kid has the entire package. He can shoot, handle, get to the basket, great family and personality. Excellent size for a combo guard. His game is smooth and he’s not just about himself.

Agree 144% with all of this.

As I stated before, JJ is the ideal “other guard” for ‘22, assuming Dior makes it to campus for his one shining moment.
Has the shooting and length to be a great 2, which would be lethal paired with Dior, but can then be the PG and THE MAN in ‘23.

What do you guys & gals think?

If you had a magic wand, which of the “other guards” would you want to pair with Dior?
  • JJ
  • Chance
  • Zion
  • Roddy
  • Other?

Agree 144% with all of this.

As I stated before, JJ is the ideal “other guard” for ‘22, assuming Dior makes it to campus for his one shining moment.
Has the shooting and length to be a great 2, which would be lethal paired with Dior, but can then be the PG and THE MAN in ‘23.

What do you guys & gals think?

If you had a magic wand, which of the “other guards” would you want to pair with Dior?
  • JJ
  • Chance
  • Zion
  • Roddy
  • Other?
It’s an interesting convo.

i think JJ compliments him the best, and would be fantastic as the lead guard in 2023. But there are rumors they don’t like each other.

Zion is playing with Dior at Oak Hill for the next 2 years, so it’ll be pretty obvious how they play together. Zion is obviously good, but if they don’t mesh at Oak Hill, that answers that.

I think compared the 2 above, Gayle would be most ok with his role as a freshman. With a senior JG3 and Dior in the backcourt, there won’t be a lot of PT available. I think Gayle would be a stud in YR2, but he’s not a PG.

Westry is interesting because I think he’ll still add at least another inch or 2 to his frame and be able to play the 3 as a freshman. Which means you can get Dior, another guard and Westry.

Like many have said - you take who commits first. If Zion/Dior mesh really well at Oak Hill together I think that’s the way the staff may go. And I believe we could still at Westry in that case. I often wonder if JB might go M2M in his final year depending on the personnel

Best Player we can get/Best Player we can get

So many players retain ties here or even come back to live here that anyone who plays here for a while becomes a CNYer, at least to an extent.

Bump. I would absolutely love to land this kid. How often do we have top 60 recruits in our backyard? And I think he fits with the program needs to a T. He would be a multi-year player and he is a knock down shooter. If he were willing to take a bit of a backseat year one with Dior there, I could see him having a great future. Would hate to see him go to a competitor.

Anyone have any insight into how seriously involved we are? I appreciate we have guys on our radar who are slightly higher ranked, but who knows long term if that would be the better option for the program.

The forgotten guy. I'm really surprised JB isn't on him more just for the ideal size but when you have dior, you gonna dior

Bump. I would absolutely love to land this kid. How often do we have top 60 recruits in our backyard? And I think he fits with the program needs to a T. He would be a multi-year player and he is a knock down shooter. If he were willing to take a bit of a backseat year one with Dior there, I could see him having a great future. Would hate to see him go to a competitor.

Anyone have any insight into how seriously involved we are? I appreciate we have guys on our radar who are slightly higher ranked, but who knows long term if that would be the better option for the program.
Plan B? Plan C? Plan D? You bring up a lot of great points that people want to know. Crazy that we have options more highly rated.

JJ and Dior have had beef for about a year and a half now. They used to be best friends from what I know, but something happened after the summer of 8th grade. Then Dior went on Instagram last year where he posted a mixtape of him giving it to JJ at NYS Top 50, and I mean giving it to him. Dior was giving him straight buckets and locking JJ up. He tagged JJ in the post as a “clown”, “joke”, among other things. From what I remember all the City Rocks guys took Dior’s side, including Andre Jackson. Not sure if it’s been resolved but something to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.