Class of 2025 - PG Keyshuan Tillery (Albany/ NH) Offered | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 PG Keyshuan Tillery (Albany/ NH) Offered

Tillery didn’t pick Bluebloods. Also, there were reports he just wasn’t that into us. Not everyone wants to stay home.
There were also reports that Red told Tilery’s coach that we didn’t Tillery was good enough. If true, why would he give us a chance?
Who knows how it turns out.
We didn’t get Boo Harvey, so we scrambled and landed Sherman Douglas.
Many thought the sky was falling when Micheal Lloyd left, but we had unheralded Lazarus Sims.
Only Davidson offered Steph Curry.
Successful PG play is about leadership, on court intelligence, and team chemistry as much as it is about pure talent.
We weren’t that into him. Red wanted Lewis. Similar to some mistakes JB made going all in for one player.

Tillery didn’t pick Bluebloods. Also, there were reports he just wasn’t that into us. Not everyone wants to stay home.
There were also reports that Red told Tilery’s coach that we didn’t Tillery was good enough. If true, why would he give us a chance?
Who knows how it turns out.
We didn’t get Boo Harvey, so we scrambled and landed Sherman Douglas.
Many thought the sky was falling when Micheal Lloyd left, but we had unheralded Lazarus Sims.
Only Davidson offered Steph Curry.
Successful PG play is about leadership, on court intelligence, and team chemistry as much as it is about pure talent.
I didn't say he picked a blue blood school - in fact he hasn't committed yet and his choices aren't blue bloods. That was my point. Everything else you said are good points.

I didn't say he picked a blue blood school - in fact he hasn't committed yet and his choices aren't blue bloods. That was my point. Everything else you said are good points.
It took JB a few years to get a highly rated
Player. I think Tony "Red" Bruin was the first and then he got Pearl. Then Brown, Rodney Walker were McDonald's AA. DC and Stevie.

It took JB a few years to get a highly rated
Player. I think Tony "Red" Bruin was the first and then he got Pearl. Then Brown, Rodney Walker were McDonald's AA. DC and Stevie.
Was Rosie Bouie not highly rated? I honestly don't remember.

Was Rosie Bouie not highly rated? I honestly don't remember.
He was the best player in upstate NY. But not a national recruit.

If memory serves, it came down to St Bonaventure and us for him. Doesn't sound like much but we were a regional program back then, much like the Bonnies.

Getting Rosie gave JB instant credibility and positioned us ahead of our biggest rival very quickly. Just becoming clearly the best program in upstate NY was a big deal back then.

Anyway, I would say he was one of the 10 most important recruits SU has gotten for basketball in the past 50 years.

So we need both a starting PG and a starting C next year, plus whatever else, likely including Bell's replacement. Two most expensive positions in the portal, especially if you want the top players who can help you make a big run.

So we need both a starting PG and a starting C next year, plus whatever else, likely including Bell's replacement. Two most expensive positions in the portal, especially if you want the top players who can help you make a big run.

Need to win this year, and get back to the NCAA tournament. That will help establish Red / our program as being on the way back up, making us a more attractive transfer destination.

Need something to sell on the portal recruiting trail. We haven't been to the NCAA tournament in three seasons [and counting].

Another way to look at this is that we potentially have three players capable of point guard play coming back next year in Carlos, Chance and JJ. Sure, two of the players are combo guys but I find it hard to believe that more than a handful of freshman point guard would beat all three for playing time. Especially if we have Choppa and young Carmelo as two guards in the mix with the combo guards. That is why any PG who wants to play next year needs to be a stud next year. Most guys do not want to sit for a year.

Another way to look at this is that we potentially have three players capable of point guard play coming back next year in Carlos, Chance and JJ. Sure, two of the players are combo guys but I find it hard to believe that more than a handful of freshman point guard would beat all three for playing time. Especially if we have Choppa and young Carmelo as two guards in the mix with the combo guards. That is why any PG who wants to play next year needs to be a stud next year. Most guys do not want to sit for a year.

Not Carlos. He is a true sr and isn’t in the Covid class.

Isn't Carlos a senior this year? Unless I'm mistaken, this will be his lone year in Orange.

Remains to be seen whether either JJ or Chance can handle point guard duties, but as you point out the cupboard isn't bare from an options standpoint [we just don't know how good either of those options are yet].

Yup hit the big issue right on the head. We’re going to be looking for the two more expensive and desired positions. When the time comes who knows what will be out there, and who knows what we can land.

This I remember. Big battle between JB and Jim Satalin. Thankfully, JB won. Might have been a whole different future for SU hoops if he hadn't.
The story always was that Rosie was headed to Olean unless JAB was hired. Bouie really liked JB and the only reason he was leaning towards SU was because of Jim.

If Jim went to the University of Rochester (which he was going to do if he did not get the SU job), Rosie would have gone to the Bonnies. Jim Satalin would be in the basketball hall of fame and JAB would be the long time color guy for SU basketball radio.

Or perhaps a horse farmer and member of Wayne Hills golf club near Lyons.

Last edited:
That’s a good point.

Need to win this year, and get back to the NCAA tournament. That will help establish Red / our program as being on the way back up, making us a more attractive transfer destination.

Need something to sell on the portal recruiting trail. We haven't been to the NCAA tournament in three seasons [and counting].
Exactly. We haven’t been a top tier program in over a decade. Red is certainly making headway with recruiting (Freeman, White) compared to the last few years of the JB era, but he has to prove he can win and not just become a tourney team but become a national contender again. Kids want to play in the big dance.

In this day and age of the transfer portal, I'd rather get transfer point guards with proven starting division 1 collegiate experience and performance than a high school point guard that will always be an unknown. So personally I would not fret about losing out on these college prospects at the point guard position. May well be blessing in disguise.

Carlos is a senior, and there’s a definite chance that JJ enters the draft. But otherwise, sure.

Carlos is a senior, and there’s a definite chance that JJ enters the draft. But otherwise, sure.
And the fact that Chance hasn’t even played more than 11 games in a full season yet

As I said earlier this summer, he really was not interested in Syracuse. I was told that we were not really in consideration. When he had scheduled a visit, I thought maybe that had changed, but apparently not.

As I said earlier this summer, he really was not interested in Syracuse. I was told that we were not really in consideration. When he had scheduled a visit, I thought maybe that had changed, but apparently not.
Yeah, you tried to tell people. The whole idea that we were his dream school doesn’t seem accurate based on what you and others heard. Though that’s disappointing if true from an upstate kid. …Unless he or people were truly bitter that we didn’t prioritize him over Acaden last spring (which seems lame). Virginia is a terrible choice for him as his final 3. Their slow pace of play doesn’t suit Tillery at all.

I just hope Kiyan legit views Syracuse as his dream school. And I hope that we can land Abaev. That would be a nice class.

Last edited: