Class of 2019 - PG Mika Adams-Woods (NY) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Mika Adams-Woods (NY)

anomander

Living Legend
Here's another local kid to keep your eye on. I went to watch my former HS continue it's basketball dominance, and saw a kid that will be a future D1 player. As a Freshman he already is one of the best players in the area, and after doing some research when I got home, he looks to be one of the top PG's in the 2018 class. Obviously it's early in his development, but the kid can play. The best thing is he is still growing. He was 5'11 last year as an 8th grader, but played this season at 6'1, and could still grow a couple inches. The kid has a super tight handle, and is an excellent passer, so even at 6'1 he could play at the D1 level once he fills out some. Anyway check out some highlights, and keep your eye on this kid. If anyone can groom a young kid it's Coach Pat Donnely, who is by far one of the best High School coaches in the country (and i'm not being biased). Ludden matches up with Malik Zachery and Nottingham in their next game. Should be a good show between 2 of the best young players in the state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9qrO7ujgKE

Here's another local kid to keep your eye on. I went to watch my former HS continue it's basketball dominance, and saw a kid that will be a future D1 player. As a Freshman he already is one of the best players in the area, and after doing some research when I got home, he looks to be one of the top PG's in the 2018 class. Obviously it's early in his development, but the kid can play. The best thing is he is still growing. He was 5'11 last year as an 8th grader, but played this season at 6'1, and could still grow a couple inches. The kid has a super tight handle, and is an excellent passer, so even at 6'1 he could play at the D1 level once he fills out some. Anyway check out some highlights, and keep your eye on this kid. If anyone can groom a young kid it's Coach Pat Donnely, who is by far one of the best High School coaches in the country (and i'm not being biased). Ludden matches up with Malik Zachery and Nottingham in their next game. Should be a good show between 2 of the best young players in the state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9qrO7ujgKE

I sure hope he's still growing, only being in 9th grade and all!

I kid, I kid. Looks like he's definitely got some talent. Bunch of nice passes in there and a nice crossover.

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.co...enesee-behind-brilliance-of-mika-adams-woods/

I'm not going to say he's better because I have only seen highlights of Zachery, but I will definitely be getting an up close look when Adams-Woods meets up with Nottingham, and Zachery on Sunday. I'm also not sure who the Nottingham coach currently is, but I can 100% vogue for Coach Donnelly. There isn't a better teacher of the game. He will groom Mika into a point guard that knows how to run a team...even though he already looks like he has that well in hand. From the people I talked to they can't say enough about the talent, and potential this kid has.

Just got back from the Ludden-Nottingham game, and all I can say is this Mika Adams-Woods kid is the real deal. I mean if Malik Zachary is high D1, then so is this kid. Adams-Woods dominated the match up. His team was down 10 with about 4 minutes to go, then Mika took over. Single handily led his team back with three 3 pointers in the last 3 minutes, and then in overtime. Ended game with 27 compared to 6 from Zachary, and he got Zachary fouled out. This kid has all the makings of a D1 pg. He's a 6'1 silky southpaw, who has a super tight handle, and smooth 3. Not saying he is, but his game reminded me of Kenny Anderson. I did hear from a few people there he could eventually end up going to Prep school. Anyways I am sure we will be hearing a lot about him in the year to come.

anomander said:
Here's another local kid to keep your eye on. I went to watch my former HS continue it's basketball dominance, and saw a kid that will be a future D1 player. As a Freshman he already is one of the best players in the area, and after doing some research when I got home, he looks to be one of the top PG's in the 2018 class. Obviously it's early in his development, but the kid can play. The best thing is he is still growing. He was 5'11 last year as an 8th grader, but played this season at 6'1, and could still grow a couple inches. The kid has a super tight handle, and is an excellent passer, so even at 6'1 he could play at the D1 level once he fills out some. Anyway check out some highlights, and keep your eye on this kid. If anyone can groom a young kid it's Coach Pat Donnely, who is by far one of the best High School coaches in the country (and i'm not being biased). Ludden matches up with Malik Zachery and Nottingham in their next game. Should be a good show between 2 of the best young players in the state. YouTube Video
Hows his court vision? Does he put his teammates in position to score? Is he a pass first pg?

Hows his court vision? Does he put his teammates in position to score? Is he a pass first pg?

Pass first point guard. His coach makes his teams execute, and he did a great job of running the show, despite being down 16 in the first half. Everyone in the stands were actually yelling for him to shoot more, especially towards the end when he was taking over. Very unselfish, I had him for at least 5 assists, and didn't see any turnovers. Obviously being a Freshman he has to get physically stronger, but if he can add another inch or 2, the kid has all the makings.

It ain't even close between him and Zachery...

Woods...

I agree, or at least from what I saw tonight, Woods-Adams dominated the match up. The extra 2-3 inches, and a grade below makes him a better prospect imo.

He's become a better shooter over the past few months. Last fall he didn't like to shoot. My son's AAU team threw a zone against him after he went off for 8-10 straight points, all on lefty drives to the bucket. Once we went zone, he went cold. Whatever work the Ludden coaches are doing with him is working. Ludden is his third school in three years, BTW. He was JD last year. Hopefully he sticks it out at Ludden. They have a solid freshman core of players.

Going only by that video the thing that really sticks out to me is the way he seemingly toys with the ball. The handle for a freshman looks really slick and you can see that its all natural and instinctive at this point not something he's thinking about or dribbling drills he's trying to incorporate. Not just his handle either but the passes with either hand on the move from weird angles and release points which he makes look easy again shows a level of ball skills that's pretty rare at his age IMO. I'd also add that there were 4-5 moves to the basket where he used the ball to distract the defender from where he was going and then moved the ball again once he picked it up and elevated to find the free air space to shoot. Very impressed with his ball skills and I'll be interested to see how he develops. Two good D1 PG prospects in our back yard now.

He is being trained by a pretty good point guard.

His HC is pretty damn good himself, and far more experienced. I've always felt if he wanted to he could have been a great college HC. His style, both offensively, and defensively, is the antithesis of AAU ball. I no for a fact he hates it. He will teach Mika how a PG is supposed to run a team, which is pretty hard to do with the, selfish, AAU style of play.

His HC is pretty damn good himself, and far more experienced. I've always felt if he wanted to he could have been a great college HC. His style, both offensively, and defensively, is the antithesis of AAU ball. I no for a fact he hates it. He will teach Mika how a PG is supposed to run a team, which is pretty hard to do with the, selfish, AAU style of play.
Where the hell did this come from? I wasn't saying anything bad about Donnelly. Mika is doing a great job of blending the coaching he is getting to from Edelin and Donnelly. Also Donnelly does a good job during the season but the reason that most kids get recognized is because of national tournaments in the summer. If you and most of the local high school coaches recognize that or not it doesn't make it not true. Eric Smith and Bob McKinney are the only two high schools coaches who do a good job getting their kids recognized around the central ny area.

Where the hell did this come from? I wasn't saying anything bad about Donnelly. Mika is doing a great job of blending the coaching he is getting to from Edelin and Donnelly. Also Donnelly does a good job during the season but the reason that most kids get recognized is because of national tournaments in the summer. If you and most of the local high school coaches recognize that or not it doesn't make it not true. Eric Smith and Bob McKinney are the only two high schools coaches who do a good job getting their kids recognized around the central ny area.

I didn't mean anything argumentative in my post. Sorry if you took it that way.

I think you've hit on why a majority of freshman point guards, even the good ones, are better at scoring than running the offense in the beginning. It bodes well for Mika long term to learn this early on in highschool.

Congrats bro! 1st one? My second was like a demon spawn who's mission was to never allow me or my wife sleep during her first 6 months. The other two slept pretty well on we cut the note time feeding out.
Thanks. 2nd but they are almost 6 years apart, so I forgot about the sleep thing.

Checking out Mika and Bishop Ludden again tonight. Ludden down 5 at half. Mika has 7 at half, including a 3, and a highlight reel behind the back fake lay-up and the foul (missed ft for 3 point play). So far a decent game, but has to be more assertive on offense. Henniger, who is probably the best team in the city, has their best player on him, who is a well built 6'2 senior ( and best player).

I also believe the game is on live in Syracuse for those with TWC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom