Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so as he is the one kid that i really want. Point is SU needs to get their NIL act together and soon if they want to remain relevant with top 100 recruits
Agreed. It seems we’re turning an opportunity in to a disadvantage.

Just my own personal opinion, but if SU lands (no pun intended) Bunch, it's not necessarily a huge drop-off from Lands. Bunch is actually rated higher than Lands on 247Sports, if rankings are your thing, although Lands is much higher in other rankings. That being said, Lands could be a one-and-done guy, while maybe Bunch sticks around for a couple of years. Maybe I'm wrong, trying to spin the positive take!

I hope so as he is the one kid that i really want. Point is SU needs to get their NIL act together and soon if they want to remain relevant with top 100 recruits
So this is what it's come to - we have to put together an attractive compensation package for recruits. We're approaching the realm of the ridiculous.

So this is what it's come to - we have to put together an attractive compensation package for recruits. We're approaching the realm of the ridiculous.
It is no longer come to college and get a free all paid for education. It is now what can the school give me and what can the school do for me.

Guess it is the Me Now Generation!

It is no longer come to college and get a free all paid for education. It is now what can the school give me and what can the school do for me.

Guess it is the Me Now Generation!
in-dinosaur%20killing%20comet.jpg

Yeah, I totally get fans being frustrated. I was bummed about seeing Lands' decision on Saturday night. But it's a new world with the transfer policy, NIL and now conference realignment. Plus, I think that the Lands news (coupled with Johnson and Bazley previously) is magnified for us fans because SU hasn't gotten a ton of top-25 players in recent years. In reality, de-commitments by elite players happen frequently for many schools, it just seems to sting a bit more for us. That being said, Taylor is top 60, Copeland is top 100 (and hopefully climbing), and we'll have to see which other players SU gets in 2022 (and then 2023/2024, both of which could be great, too).

just pay all division 1 basketball players a set amount of dollars per year across the board = straight cash on top of everything paid for at school - and let the chips fall...

but letting schools compete in terms of giving players different "NIL packages" will ruin an already highly damaged product, imo.

For the people, who just see this as no big deal, thats what the captain of the Titanic thought when they hit the iceberg, too.

For the people, who just see this as no big deal, thats what the captain of the Titanic thought when they hit the iceberg, too.
Bit of an exaggeration here, boss.

And speaking for myself, I do think it's a big deal, but I don't actually care how it impacts me as a fan because how it impacts the athletes in positive ways is more important.

Bit of an exaggeration here, boss.

And speaking for myself, I do think it's a big deal, but I don't actually care how it impacts me as a fan because how it impacts the athletes in positive ways is more important.
yes, youre right.

in a society where every last inch is commoditized to the hilt it is easy to just take the social view of it all and be glad that the little guys = the players = are (legally) getting paid finally.

to me, it is separate issues.

i can be happy that players are getting theirs (i am) and also see that these changes threaten everything that this sport is built on.

in the abstract, yes of course I want these players to be compensated and have a fair share of what they are creating.

but in the frame of what college basketball is - this is not going to work.maybe I have naively bought into the illusion that these players havent been paid since the 70s...but the allure of ncaabb has a lot to do with its amateurism, imo..especially march madness.

i see it in all aspects of US society and its systems. overly convoluted to maintain an image of fairness and openness and honest competition when it is anything but.

hypocritical to the core.

looking through orange-colored glasses, i dont see this as a threat but an advantage...but for the sport as a whole it is really bad news, imo. the orange already have a great brand and tradition - they oughta be able to capitalize big-time on this...in ways other schools have no chance to.

there must be a way to compensate athletes fairly AND also shepard the sport into fairness and high-level competition...but only imo if they drop the charades that they cling to.

just make them professional college athletes and pay them all the same - get snake oil salesman and boosters and grimy coachs and programs out of it...keep the field level...or its going to tip up and sink to the bottom of the ocean, imo.

a million dollar recruit playing against a 50k recruit is just bad business for ncaabb, imo...it wont appeal at all the way the previous model did...maybe i am just idealistic and it wont bother most people...idk...i know i personally wont like it.

just pay all division 1 basketball players a set amount of dollars per year across the board = straight cash on top of everything paid for at school - and let the chips fall...

but letting schools compete in terms of giving players different "NIL packages" will ruin an already highly damaged product, imo.

Unless they are employees, and the restrictions are bargained for, they will likely be held to be unconstitutional.

but in the frame of what college basketball is - this is not going to work.maybe I have naively bought into the illusion that these players havent been paid since the 70s...but the allure of ncaabb has a lot to do with its amateurism, imo..especially march madness.
Amateurism for players and professional sport for the schools and coaches, you mean

yes, youre right.

in a society where every last inch is commoditized to the hilt it is easy to just take the social view of it all and be glad that the little guys = the players = are (legally) getting paid finally.

to me, it is separate issues.

i can be happy that players are getting theirs (i am) and also see that these changes threaten everything that this sport is built on.

in the abstract, yes of course I want these players to be compensated and have a fair share of what they are creating.

i see it in all aspects of US society and its systems. overly convoluted to maintain an image of fairness and openness and honest competition when it is anything but.

hypocritical to the core.

looking through orange-colored glasses, i dont see this as a threat but an advantage...but for the sport as a whole it is really bad news, imo. the orange already have a great brand and tradition - they oughta be able to capitalize big-time on this...in ways other schools have no chance to.

there must be a way to compensate athletes fairly AND also shepard the sport into fairness and high-level competition...but only imo if they drop the charades that they cling to.

just make them professional college athletes and pay them all the same - get snake oil salesman and boosters and grimy coachs and programs out of it...keep the field level...or its going to tip up and sink to the bottom of the ocean, imo.

a million dollar recruit playing against a 50k recruit is just bad business for ncaabb, imo...it wont appeal at all the way the previous model did...maybe i am just idealistic and it wont bother most people...idk...i know i personally wont like it.
I think what you proposed, making college athletes professionals, would destroy higher education in the US.

If one needs to go down between college sports or the college itself, the sports get the axe.

letting schools compete in terms of giving players different "NIL packages"
Thats not how it works. You have to think of it in comparison to professional ball. All teams have a "salary cap" of 13 scholarships. Some NBA players want to play in NY or LA or other big markets to make themselves more... marketable. I get the frustration and worry but it isn't on the schools. Or at least it's not supposed to be.

It certainly is a big deal and will change a lot. Im hoping our huge fan base, rich traditional, big crowds, etc. will carry us along ok. That and the fact there are only so many kids that can make enough money to make a huge difference at this level. We really only have one guy on our team that has 6 figure potential and he has a very recognizable last name.

I think what you proposed, making college athletes professionals, would destroy higher education in the US.

If one needs to go down between college sports or the college itself, the sports get the axe.
How does not having college sports ruin education. Likely, it would enhance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom