Class of 2018 - PG/SG Sam Rautins (CN) to Canisius | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG/SG Sam Rautins (CN) to Canisius

Mike Waters tweeted this. Guess he’s proving to be a sharp shooter, if that’s a surprise to anyone.

Mike Waters tweeted this. Guess he’s proving to be a sharp shooter, if that’s a surprise to anyone.

Such a sweet stroke. Reminds me of Andy's, which is the best looking I remember seeing.

Andy had a lightning quick release too.

Thanks for posting that video as I'd never seen it and loved being able to reflect. I wish that Syracuse basketball had Andy Rautins (meaning someone who played the game the way he did) on the team. Kid was talented, but always seemed to play within himself. He's literally one of the only basketball players at SU that I've never really critiqued. If Andy decided to take a shot, it was usually a shot he should have taken. If the shot wasn't there, I don't remember him triggering.

Andy is one player that I appreciated watching wear the Orange.

Thanks for posting that video as I'd never seen it and loved being able to reflect. I wish that Syracuse basketball had Andy Rautins (meaning someone who played the game the way he did) on the team. Kid was talented, but always seemed to play within himself. He's literally one of the only basketball players at SU that I've never really critiqued. If Andy decided to take a shot, it was usually a shot he should have taken. If the shot wasn't there, I don't remember him triggering.

Andy is one player that I appreciated watching wear the Orange.
Andy is to my thinking, the best pure basketball player we have had in a long, long time. Not the best athlete, shooter, rebounder, dribbler, etc,. all of which he was good to excellent at, but making the right pass and not making the wrong one. Being in the right spot. Understanding time and situation. All of the nuamce lost in the AAU world.

Andy is to my thinking, the best pure basketball player we have had in a long, long time. Not the best athlete, shooter, rebounder, dribbler, etc,. all of which he was good to excellent at, but making the right pass and not making the wrong one. Being in the right spot. Understanding time and situation. All of the nuamce lost in the AAU world.
I echo this exact sentiment to people all the time. Andy really understood playing angles, both on offense & defense. His assist numbers weren't huge but he had some of the best vision of any player I can remember. He had a few needle-threading 3/4 court bounce passes off the dribble that made my jaw drop.

Sam really shot the ball well his Senior season. Here is one of his more recent games (9 treys!)...
We are looking solid in the guard department but it would be a nice luxury to add another shooter on the bench with the Cuse family connection.

Hope he lands with buffalo/sbu/canisius. I dont think hes cuse calibre but could help out a solid mid major like the first two

Hope he lands with buffalo/sbu/canisius. I dont think hes cuse calibre but could help out a solid mid major like the first two
High Point was also be a good spot for him.

Why can’t we have walk ons that eventually become starters? Like UNC and Luke Maye. With a redshirt year Sam could be lighting it with Buddy from beyond the arc.

He didn’t really walk on, was unsure of an open scholarship but wanted to go to UNC. Was a top 100 guy and had a few other P5 offeres.

Family friends with the Rautins. Used to shoot hoops in the driveway with Sammy when he was not much older than 5 years old. Cool to see him getting D1 offers.
Wasn't he more into baseball early?

Last edited:
Is walking on at Syracuse an option?

I'd guess that option would gain more traction with Sam Rautins if there wasn't another 'walk on' at his position who is clearly going to play a lot more. Maybe if he was a couple years younger. But Syracuse is a major program you have no idea who will be recruited in the future as your competition or if the guys ahead of you don't leave. Southerland for example was great for us and would have been way better if K Jo didn't stay 4 years and/or he redshirted.

I think hes a great fit for the the Seth Curry Liberty>Duke rout. Light up a small conference, sit for a year to get stronger, then have 2-3 years at a bigger school. Maybe even us. He should go where there is PT. Someone will be interested in him as a transfer if hes good. Andy wasn't ready to play here as a true freshman even though he saw minutes and redshirted due to injury I think after his sophomore year.