Class of 2018 - PG/SG Sam Rautins (CN) to Canisius | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG/SG Sam Rautins (CN) to Canisius

Why did he go to Canada? Was it the coach being let go at JD? Did the entire Rautins family pick up and move north? It can't be the abundance of Tim Horton's as more of them are making their way across NY. Was he getting a jump on the "If Trump is elected President" thing?

Can't we just offer him right now and make him our first 2018 commit? Maybe by the time he gets here people will have gotten their legacy not worth a scholarship gripes out of the way.

Seriously though Andy's last 2 seasons show that bringing in a shooter who can then improve their all around skills can be an excellent use of a ship. I think Sam's release and ark are a hair flatter than Andy's but not in a bad way. The form and the follow through are remarkably similar looking.

Can't we just offer him right now and make him our first 2018 commit? Seriously though Andy's last 2 seasons show that bringing in a shooter who can then improve their all around skills can be an excellent use of a ship.

Completely agree, and sign him up. Andy's development as a player was a beautiful thing to observe as a fan. Hope he continues the Rautins legacy, because I'm already excited about the prospect of having him in Orange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't we just offer him right now and make him our first 2018 commit? Maybe by the time he gets here people will have gotten their legacy not worth a scholarship gripes out of the way.

Seriously though Andy's last 2 seasons show that bringing in a shooter who can then improve their all around skills can be an excellent use of a ship. I think Sam's release and ark are a hair flatter than Andy's but not in a bad way. The form and the follow through are remarkably similar looking.

I'm not sure if he's quite as good of a playmaker, but he reminds me a lot of Huerter [important for perspective that Huerter is also 2 years older than Rautins, and a bit further along his developmental curve than Sam].

I can't remember any player ever developing as much as he did. Was in consensus with everyone else or at least the majority that it was a gift a scholarship and that he was too skinny, too slow to ever play meaningful minutes. Missed the mark on that one by about 100%.

Why did he go to Canada? Was it the coach being let go at JD? Did the entire Rautins family pick up and move north? It can't be the abundance of Tim Horton's as more of them are making their way across NY. Was he getting a jump on the "If Trump is elected President" thing?

he went to Canada before the Mckenney thing (I'm pretty sure)

Considering Leo covers the Raptors from October to June this year, it only made sense for him to go to school in Canada...

You still see Leo in Syracuse, but during the NBA season his time here was extremely limited.

Considering Leo covers the Raptors from October to June this year, it only made sense for him to go to school in Canada...

You still see Leo in Syracuse, but during the NBA season his time here was extremely limited.

I wasn't sure as it would also make sense that he'd live with his mom in the States.

During Andy's senior year, he could take a falling out of bounds three from half-court and I would have said "yup, that's a good shot". Only other player that I can think of doing that with is Steph Curry.

At times it was automatic. In my seat or in my living room, I flashed the Andy "3" as soon as the shot left his hands.
image.jpeg

I love that we can officially start talking about another Rautins. If he ends up anywhere else I'll be gutted.

Andy was always more than just a shooter.