Class of 2019 - PG Symir Torrence (NY/Vermont Academy) Transferring from Marquette | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Symir Torrence (NY/Vermont Academy) Transferring from Marquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a shame that nobody is willing to wait to get PT anymore. Go where you can play right away, and then transfer if a better situation opens up.

Working your way up and playing against better, older teammates everyday and learning from them and then taking the torch after a year or two is a thing of the past?

I’d rather come off the bench for two years and start as a Junior at Syracuse, UNC, Kansas, etc. than start right away at 3rd tier schools.

Cincinnati is a solid program and not some chump or third tier, IMO. They have been to 8 straight tourneys and play an aggressive style with swag. Fun place too. The area around campus is really hoppin right now and campus itself is a cool urban campus. Maybe he doesn’t want to sit back in the zone. I don’t know. I think they have a lot of attractive qualities.

Cincinnati is a solid program and not some chump or third tier, IMO. They have been to 8 straight tourneys and play an aggressive style with swag. Fun place too. The area around campus is really hoppin right now and campus itself is a cool urban campus. Maybe he doesn’t want to sit back in the zone. I don’t know. I think they have a lot of attractive qualities.

“Solid” = 3rd tier in my book. I guess it’s all about how you look at tiers though.

Regardless, they’re a notch down. Good program both now and historically. But it’s not one of the special places.

“Solid” = 3rd tier in my book. I guess it’s all about how you look at tiers though.

Regardless, they’re a notch down. Good program both now and historically. But it’s not one of the special places.

A notch down but who cares. I don’t think we have the same cache and all time historical relevance with some of these kids. Seriously, these kids don’t know Coleman/Pearl/Owens. Melo? Waiters? When is the last good lead guard we had? Ennis? Four years ago already and he barely was around. We constantly have shaky ballhandlers out there. Maybe I’m wrong but kids turning on the TV the last few years watching our slop on the court, offensive inepitude, etc., can’t be too excited. You turn on a Cincinnati game and see these dudes get after it and it’s a good watch. Outside of a couple of tourney games (assuming we squeak in) and a couple of 30,000 attendance games; there isn’t that much to cheer and get excited about. I don’t know. It’s going to be more and more difficult to grab good players and instant contributors the longer JB and this all-zone business stay around. We need SOME true PG on the roster next season and some kind of Center who can score.

Last edited:
A notch down but who cares. I don’t think we have the same cache and all time historical relevance with some of these kids. Seriously, these kids don’t know Coleman/Pearl/Owens. Melo? Waiters? Maybe I’m wrong but kids turning on the TV the last few years watching our slop on the court, offensive inepitude, etc., can’t be too excited. You turn on a Cincinnati game and see these dudes get after it and it’s a good watch. Outside of a couple of tourney games (assuming we squeak in) and a couple of 30,000 attendance games; there isn’t that much to cheer and get excited about. I don’t know. It’s going to be more and more difficult to grab good players and instant contributors the longer JB and this all-zone business stay around. We need SOME true PG on the roster next season and some kind of Center who can score.

They don’t have to know Coleman and them though. Cincinnati has had two players drafted this entire decade. Syracuse has had 13.

Who says Symir isn’t willing to sit for a year or two. Maybe SU hasn’t shown the same level of interest as Marquette or Butler. Maybe the kid wants to go somewhere that has recruited him very hard. Wojo is doing a good job and is close to really building something.

They don’t have to know Coleman and them though. Cincinnati has had two players drafted this entire decade. Syracuse has had 13.

Not trying to compare the two. I meant more that until we start improving the play on the court, get off the bubble, and start playing better than a middle of the pack ACC team, our name/brand as well as putting guys in the pros won’t mean as much as it could or should. It doesn’t surprise me one bit if a player chooses Marquette or Cincy over SU. Especially in positions of lead guard and C. Unfortunately, I think we need a whole new system and coach. These Top 25 players aren’t choosing Syracuse. Our name/brand is not that hot right now. It is what it is. We’re a bubble team and middle of the pack in the ACC. We play slow and zone. That’s all these kids predominantly know, IMO.

Last edited:
Not trying to compare the two. I meant more that until we start improving the play on the court, get off the bubble, and start playing better than a middle of the pack ACC team, our name/brand as well as putting guys in the pros won’t mean as much as it could or should. It doesn’t surprise me one bit if a player chooses Marquette or Cincy over SU. Especially in positions of lead guard and C. Unfortunately, I think we need a whole new system and coach. These Top 25 players aren’t choosing Syracuse. Our name/brand is not that hot right now. It is what it is. We’re a bubble team and middle of the pack in the ACC. We play slow and zone. That’s all these kids predominantly know, IMO.
I have to admit, I agree with your analysis. This is an important year for SU basketball. With all the returning veterans, if this is another mediocre campaign you have to wonder about the trajectory of the program. Not at all like the football program which seems on the rise and is exciting for the fan base. Lets take it to Notre Dame today!

I don’t get this at all. He didn’t even fully explore all the schools yet and he made a decision? This smells like Tyus Battle all over again I don’t think this will be over yet but I have no info just going by what I think

I don’t get this at all. He didn’t even fully explore all the schools yet and he made a decision? This smells like Tyus Battle all over again I don’t think this will be over yet but I have no info just going by what I think

It’s pretty obvious. He wants to reclassify to 2019. Wouldn’t happen at Cuse

If he goes 2019, he sticks. If he opts for 2020, it will be Battle pt2 scenario. Kid LOVES us

If he goes 2019, he sticks. If he opts for 2020, it will be Battle pt2 scenario. Kid LOVES us
It’s over. Marquette did a great job recruiting him. 19 if Howard leaves and 20 if not.

When kids from your own backyard don't take you seriously, there's a problem.

Actually it was the opposite.
Yes and no. Syracuse likes him and offered during their elite camp. Syracuse does not throw offers to everyone like some schools. Goodine continues to improve and is healthy, Carey will be back, and JB is going to make sure there are some minutes for Buddy. He could have still fit in 20 but probably better for everyone that he goes to Marquette.

Local PGs Jason Buchanan and Michael Brown went to St Johns and Providence back in the late 80s-early 90s. We were fine.

Greg Paulus went to Duke. We were fine.

There’s only so many scholarships. You can’t get everybody.

A notch down but who cares. I don’t think we have the same cache and all time historical relevance with some of these kids. Seriously, these kids don’t know Coleman/Pearl/Owens. Melo? Waiters? When is the last good lead guard we had? Ennis? Four years ago already and he barely was around. We constantly have shaky ballhandlers out there. Maybe I’m wrong but kids turning on the TV the last few years watching our slop on the court, offensive inepitude, etc., can’t be too excited. You turn on a Cincinnati game and see these dudes get after it and it’s a good watch. Outside of a couple of tourney games (assuming we squeak in) and a couple of 30,000 attendance games; there isn’t that much to cheer and get excited about. I don’t know. It’s going to be more and more difficult to grab good players and instant contributors the longer JB and this all-zone business stay around. We need SOME true PG on the roster next season and some kind of Center who can score.
You think our offense is brutal? I don’t know about this year or last, but over the past decade Cincy hasn’t been known for having a dynamic offense. even Mick Cronin will admit that he built that program on solid defensive principles and toughness.

Five-Six guards minimum on roster next season (Battle leaves, Goodine and Girard in, Washington decision). No room at the inn currently. I'd say both parties are solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.