Class of 2017 - PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU

I'm not getting my hopes up about Waters, but I think we have an outstanding shot against Duke [where Waters would have an uphill battle to get PT] and Indiana [fired coach]. Kansas is going to be tough to beat out, though.

Here's hoping that proximity will factor into the family's decision. This kid would be a godsend and an incredible bounce-back from losing out on Quade Green, if we could land him.

And why do the Thompsons want to release him from his LOI? Because they're nice guys?

What have we to lose, by going full-out to recruit Waters? The forward momentum is stalled until he receives his release from GT. After that, we need a full-court press to get him to sign with the Cuse.
Coach Hop is one of the very best recruiters in college basketball. Let him lead the charge to make thwe sale!

Go Orange!

What makes everyone so sure he will be released from his LOI? They haven't changed coaches... yet at least. They could decide to not let him... particularly if he might ditch them for us.

Why would they keep a player that isnt happy and doesnt wanna play for them?

They didn't recruit another pg because he committed to them. Player is free to not attend Georgetown, just has to sit out a year.

They didn't recruit another pg because he committed to them. Player is free to not attend Georgetown, just has to sit out a year.
And they would have an even harder time recruiting if they did that.

JB did it to Jason Hart. Kid eventually turned his opinion around. May decide an unhappy talented player is better than a happy scrub.

JB did it to Jason Hart. Kid eventually turned his opinion around. May decide an unhappy talented player is better than a happy scrub.
Hart was being tampered with by Harrick, who JB loathed.

I'm not getting my hopes up about Waters, but I think we have an outstanding shot against Duke [where Waters would have an uphill battle to get PT] and Indiana [fired coach]. Kansas is going to be tough to beat out, though.

Here's hoping that proximity will factor into the family's decision. This kid would be a godsend and an incredible bounce-back from losing out on Quade Green, if we could land him.
He will be Kansas blue ten minutes after getting his release.

The only way he looks at UK is WWW writes a check. He'd never see the floor. Don't really see why people think Kansas should be the favorite either with Newman there. We actually make sense and have Moyer. The only reason I see us not as a heavy favorite is that we never looked at the kid before with our Greene obsession. But hopefully we put on a full push. Remind him of the guard success we've had and the chance to step into a good team that just has a gaping hole at pg to fill.

The only way he looks at UK is WWW writes a check. He'd never see the floor. Don't really see why people think Kansas should be the favorite either with Newman there. We actually make sense and have Moyer. The only reason I see us not as a heavy favorite is that we never looked at the kid before with our Greene obsession. But hopefully we put on a full push. Remind him of the guard success we've had and the chance to step into a good team that just has a gaping hole at pg to fill.
The Green egg basket says hi again.

Francis, can you shed some more light on things for us? You are clearly plugged in to the highest degree and I completely trust your takes on everything. You know I'm your #1 fan. But I also want to be devils advocate here to a small degree because I don't understand.

The primary conclusion people are drawing from you've said in the thread here is that Hopkins has less knowledge of the situation than you do and has less desire to succeed than us Joe Blow fans do. Either that or something completely different is happening that nobody is talking about or nobody knows about. I hope that what I said is no way insulting to you because it is 100% not intended to be that. I'm crossing my fingers that you don't think I'm calling you out as you are my #1 ranked poster here at the Fan!!

Let me explain my reasoning. These are things that I take as absolute fact - correct me if any of this is incorrect:
1. Hopkins has at least as much knowledge and awareness of the recruiting situation with respect to Waters and his family as any fan or recruiting analyst would have. That would include knowing how difficult it will be for us to land him, who our competition is, and the relative sense of sending GMac (or any other assistant) to be the guy.
2. Hopkins has a higher motivation to succeed as Head Coach at Syracuse than any of us fans have to see the team win. This isn't just a fan situation for him. It is the culmination of his life's work, the continuation of his mentor's legacy, and the promise of being able to put food on the table going forward.
3. Hopkins has never given indications of being lazy.

So given all that, there must be something we don't know, right? I suppose a possibility is that Hopkins sees the need to build recruiting experience within his staff, but this particluar recruit at this particular time certainly appears to be a poor chance to do that. There will be plenty of other lower level lower importance recruits to cut your teeth on if you are GMac. But again - Hopkins certainly knows that.

Another, darker, possibility is that there is substantial strife and chaos within the program between JB and Hop over if/when/how Hop will take over. That seems far fetched, but in order to explain this, I'm struggling to come up with causes for the seemingly bizarre behavior.

Sheet. Looks like I got my answer and as I feared it was the darker scenario.

Looks like we're not in the Waters discussion per Zagoria. Is this more fallout from JB-Hop situation?

Looks like we're not in the Waters discussion per Zagoria. Is this more fallout from JB-Hop situation?

Ok Red... let's see ya get in there a REfocus the kid once he is released.

JB was never a fan of Waters the first time around. Any chance that we had is probably gone with Hop not taking over now. Moyer/GMac connection could possibly get us a visit at best.

No. For some reason, we decided we weren't going to get involved unless we knew there was serious interest from him. They didn't want to send mixed messages to Ayala. When will we ever learn? Do Duke and Kentucky ever worry about stuff like that?

JB was never a fan of Waters the first time around. Any chance that we had is probably gone with Hop not taking over now. Moyer/GMac connection could possibly get us a visit at best.
I understand he was a fan of Quade Green. Hey all you other guys screw you we got our guy Quade.

What does this say? My internet has been acting strange today, but it's saying this tweet has been deleted and I don't see anything on Zags' twitter page that mentions us at all. The only mention I see regarding Waters and Syracuse is an article from Zags saying that it would seem like a possibility that we'd be interested in him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom