Class of 2017 - PG Trevon Duval (DE) to Duke | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Trevon Duval (DE) to Duke

Whitey23 said:
DUVAL SAYS TWO SCHOOLS WORKING THE HARDEST Trevon Duval, a 2017 point guard from Newark (N.J.) St. Benedict’s Prep and WE-R1, says two schools are recruiting him the hardest: Indiana and Oregon. Duval also holds offers from N.C. State, UNLV, Villanova, Syracuse, Louisville, UConn and others. He really likes Louisville’s style of play. “I like to get up and down and play with a lot of good guards and also coaches that are comfortable with their guards playing their game,” he said. “I’m interested in Louisville just as much as any other school, but they also play the same way I just described. They get up and down and Coach [Rick] Pitino believes in his guards.” Duval took a visit recently to Villanova and has had Louisville and Cincinnati come out to his games, but he says now Oregon and Indiana are recruiting him the hardest.

Might explain why we're looking at other guards.

Might explain why we're looking at other guards.

As great a player as Duval is I want guys that are great shooters. That is probably Duval's one weakness at this point. I want to see SU teams were 3 or 4 guys on the court cannot be left alone. The Golden St. style of play offensively is super appealing and would draw in even more of these players if you could do it successfully. It just seems like other than the 5 position you will need to have guys that can shoot, pass and handle at every other spot moving forward. That's where the game is headed and college is just lagging behind.

jordoo said:
As great a player as Duval is I want guys that are great shooters. That is probably Duval's one weakness at this point. I want to see SU teams were 3 or 4 guys on the court cannot be left alone. The Golden St. style of play offensively is super appealing and would draw in even more of these players if you could do it successfully. It just seems like other than the 5 position you will need to have guys that can shoot, pass and handle at every other spot moving forward. That's where the game is headed and college is just lagging behind.

Agree.

That's why I wouldn't lose any sleep if we don't get Simmons or Gilbert.

I'll take Huerter.

jordoo said:

It's really been this way for some time.

The best teams are the ones where 4 or 5 of the starters can handle and shoot.

When you have a few black holes, stationary players with limited skills, you're at a distinct disadvantage.

It's really been this way for some time.

The best teams are the ones where 4 or 5 of the starters can handle and shoot.

When you have a few black holes, stationary players with limited skills, you're at a distinct disadvantage.

Yep and so far in college very few teams can do that but they usually wind up in the FF.

I agree that in general we are much better off with the player that can shoot. But Duval is a Derrick Rose clone, Who just dominates games. Provided he has a few shooters around him, he would eat other teams up with his penetration and ability to get to the line (a la Jonny Flynn at his best)! Not sure how the Tyus Battle situation affects our recruitment of Trevon, But I hope that Tyler Ennis is in his ear about his time at the Cuse. Would also love to see a point guard wearing the number one, like you did in that last video.i'd be shocked if he's not the top point guard in his class when it's all said and done.

I'd love to get Duval but I'd not be bothered at all if we took Huerter in 17 if he was willing to prep, even if that meant we didn't get Duval. We would likely still have Howard around and possibly Joseph. At least one of those 2 as an experienced upperclassman PG. Duval is likely a 1nD.
Huerter would be around for a while and can play either guard spot while providing a huge shooting threat and his length is a perfect fit for our system. Imagine a kid coming in and playing like Andy Rautins did late in his junior season. If Huerter preps he's going to be coming in much more like an upperclassman Andy who could fit and play well with any combination of players.

I also get the impression that Duval will be hard to beat Lville out for.

I'd love to get Duval but I'd not be bothered at all if we took Huerter in 17 if he was willing to prep, even if that meant we didn't get Duval. We would likely still have Howard around and possibly Joseph. At least one of those 2 as an experienced upperclassman PG. Duval is likely a 1nD.
Huerter would be around for a while and can play either guard spot while providing a huge shooting threat and his length is a perfect fit for our system. Imagine a kid coming in and playing like Andy Rautins did late in his junior season. If Huerter preps he's going to be coming in much more like an upperclassman Andy who could fit and play well with any combination of players.

I also get the impression that Duval will be hard to beat Lville out for.

Is Battle a guaranteed 1 and done, or is he going to need a year of seasonin if he signs? Is Mali a three year player? Does Joseph stick around to fight off competition? We still should have Frankie Howard. Is Huerter willing to come in if he's got 4 guys ahead of him? Does he want to be 2016? There are so many unknowns with not only our guard targets, but the current guards on the roster that the staff may just think they have enough talent here, especially with everyone besides Joseph being at least 6'6''.

Is Battle a guaranteed 1 and done, or is he going to need a year of seasonin if he signs? Is Mali a three year player? Does Joseph stick around to fight off competition? We still should have Frankie Howard. Is Huerter willing to come in if he's got 4 guys ahead of him? Does he want to be 2016? There are so many unknowns with not only our guard targets, but the current guards on the roster that the staff may just think they have enough talent here, especially with everyone besides Joseph being at least 6'6''.

I would say that Battle being a 1nD is probably around 90%. If he shows that he can play PG then with his length he's going to get a lot of NBA interest, especially if he can shoot the 3 at a decent clip.

IMO there is almost no way both Howard and Joseph are gone by 17. One sure but the one still here would have been the more successful one in the 15 and 16 seasons. So you'd have at least one upperclassman PG ready to go. I have no feel for how long Malachi will be here, 2, 3 or even 4 years any one seems possible to me. I don't think he sees enough time this season to be 1nD because G and Trev are both 5th year guys and Mal is not a PG. It is an interesting situation with lots of moving parts though, that's for sure.

Duval seems like the ultimate Alpha Dog lead guard. He looks aggressive and in control all the time. I guy that is constantly putting pressure on the defense. I wish I could see a complete game of his.

I'm glad we are always mentioned as one of the teams recruiting him the hardest. Seems Jay Wright is doing some work as well since Nova is also mentioned. I'm not sure it far enough along to figure out who our main competition is. I was surprised to see no Lville mention, as I thought they were pretty high on his list.

Duval seems like the ultimate Alpha Dog lead guard. He looks aggressive and in control all the time. I guy that is constantly putting pressure on the defense. I wish I could see a complete game of his.

I'm glad we are always mentioned as one of the teams recruiting him the hardest. Seems Jay Wright is doing some work as well since Nova is also mentioned. I'm not sure it far enough along to figure out who our main competition is. I was surprised to see no Lville mention, as I thought they were pretty high on his list.

Yes, I had a chance to see him at the Mary Kline Classic and he's very aggressive. He is constantly looking to attack and plays with a swagger. The thing I liked about him the most is that he was very unselfish and seemed to take a lot of pride in setting up his teammates.

My friend told him he'd look great in Orange and that brought a big smile to Trevon's face. Hopefully getting Tyus helps us too, showing him that we are a major player for big time guards.

Great player, I bet Hop would love to have him.
That's like saying the sky is blue. Is there something you're not telling us?

Ya but if he can play next to Tyus, they would be unstoppable and they would be the best guard combo out there. Maybe throw in Porter and can you say NC. lol Dreaming , huh? ?SUball

I think we will have 2 of those 3 players on the team in 2017