Class of 2022 - PG Zion Cruz (NJ / PatrickNJ) Offered | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Zion Cruz (NJ / PatrickNJ) Offered

We need a pairing that is going to work in the college game against college athletes and college defenses. Just because the pairing work(s) in HS or on the AAU circuit doesn't mean it will transfer to the next level where everyone outside of S. Bend actually plays defense.

I think all these guys talent will transfer, just not sure you can combine guys and get the same results on the college level that you get prior to that.

Also, if you assume Dior is only going to be here one year. And you assume JGIII is the senior shooting guard, does it matter which other class of '22 kid plays well alongside Dior?

If we recruit Zion it's probably to double down in case Dior doesn't make it here, or to replace him after his one and one year. I don't think you should expect to see any of these guys walk in and knock JGIII out of the starting lineup in what would be his senior year.

A pairing that works on paper but lacks chemistry does nothing for us either. I hear you but if it's someone besides Zion it needs to work with Dior.

A pairing that works on paper but lacks chemistry does nothing for us either. I hear you but if it's someone besides Zion it needs to work with Dior.

Then the question is can JGIII and Dior have that chemistry, right?

Then the question is can JGIII and Dior have that chemistry, right?

It's everyone who will get minutes not just JG3. If you are going to bring in a talented counter part it is the same. Mind you JG3 is the shooter who fits the "on paper" piece you are referring to. I like the others besides Cruz. I want the guy who works best with Dior in chemistry and complementing his game.

Lol! “Oh look a dime” - Costanza

this thread about Zion has shocked me. Amazing how many people are saying no to a top 20 recruit. At first, SU doesn’t recruit enough of these guys or ever land them. Now it’s we prefer other guys before him. My head is spinning

There are only about 1500 coaches on this forum that are fully ready to step in when JB retires...

Finding guys who best fit and work with Dior is clearly less important. I mean he is on board so why work with our top recruit who hasn't signed yet on what is the best fit?

LOL For those that have trouble following along; the point is that until Dior has the HS accomplishments of Flynn it is merely your opinion that he is better. When the time comes, and if Dior wins the MVP, like Flynn did, then you can make your claim. Until then it is pure conjecture as to who was better in HS. Flynn has the hardware. Until Dior gets that hardware, and the odds are that he won't, I would not declare him as better than Flynn, etc. More often than not, we exaggerate the relative skill of our recruits.
Wasn't my opinion. Someone said that Door is better than other guys, at the same age. Someone else asked if Dior was a McDonald's MVP. Well, to be in the McDonald's game, one has to be a senior. Therefore, they were comparing a senior to a sophomore, which was not the original comparison.

If you look at Zions game, he can put the ball in the hoop. He is a freak athletically and a great finisher. Defensively that is a huge asset and honestly elite talent is what you want. We do want shooters but guys who can finish well, defend well and can still shoot it ( I don't think Cruz is anywhere near Stevie territory) are ideal complements to a guy like Dior and a contrast to a senior JG3. Also that athleticism gives you flexibility to go small but still be able to rebound and defend. The lineup combination possibilities grow with a kid like Zion.

If you look at Zions game, he can put the ball in the hoop. He is a freak athletically and a great finisher. Defensively that is a huge asset and honestly elite talent is what you want. We do want shooters but guys who can finish well, defend well and can still shoot it ( I don't think Cruz is anywhere near Stevie territory) are ideal complements to a guy like Dior and a contrast to a senior JG3. Also that athleticism gives you flexibility to go small but still be able to rebound and defend. The lineup combination possibilities grow with a kid like Zion.

I think we’ve all been indoctrinated into the “LOOOOONG guards for the Cuse 2-3 zone” mantra, that it’s hard to picture having 2 (freakishly athletic) guys who are ‘only’ 6’2”/6’3” or whatever.

Since I’d imagine it’s highly unlikely to land both of Chase & Zion, then we happily take whomever says yes first, and move on to landing a stud F to team up with them.

Assuming Dior & Zion both stay at Oak Hill for the next 2 years (hardly a given), then you DEFINITELY want that pairing at Syracuse -
Having all of that experience and chemistry of playing together before they even step foot on campus would be huge. :cool:
And I’m sure Sr JGIII would make for a lethal 3 guard rotation with those guys.

Flynn and Niagara Falls High School won the 2005 New York state public high school and federation championships. He was also named New York State Mr. Basketball following his senior year. When he graduated with the class of 2007, he was ranked the No. 22 overall recruit and No. 4 point guard by as well as the No. 23 overall and the No. 4 point guard by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. Flynn was a 2007 McDonald's All-American and he was named to the 2007 USA Basketball Junior National Select Team that competed against the World Select Team in the 10th annual Nike Hoop Summit in Memphis, Tennessee. Flynn was a former high school and college teammate of guard/forward Paul Harris, whom he played alongside as members of the Minnesota Timberwolves' summer league team. In his senior year, Flynn averaged 26.7 points, 6.0 assists, 3.5 steals and 3.3 reb

He was not chopped liver in HS. He was relatively under the radar but that does not mean that Dior was better. The point is that orange colored glasses distort reality. Let us wait and see before declaring someone as the next savior. I'll call it near-term bias.

I don't think anybody was higher on Flynn than I was. I took a bunch of for saying he was going to turn out to be better than Harris when everybody else thought his offer was charity just to make Harris happy. But that was his junior year.

Nobody thought Flynn was going to be a great D1 player as a sophomore, me included. It shouldn't be controversial to say that Dior is better than Flynn at the same age. Its pretty obviously clear that he is. This doesn't necessarily mean Dior is going to be a better college player, or even have a better high school career, but this argument seems to have started when someone said Dior is better than Flynn, Ennis, and MCW were at the same age. He is. Its not close. All three of those guys were late risers.

Lol! “Oh look a dime” - Costanza

this thread about Zion has shocked me. Amazing how many people are saying no to a top 20 recruit. At first, SU doesn’t recruit enough of these guys or ever land them. Now it’s we prefer other guys before him. My head is spinning

Yep, if we get Dior and any one of Zion, Chance, Roddy or JJ it's one heck of a guard class and would be as excited as can be. I even like the Hutchinson's tape/potential. The key, obviously, is keeping Dior, everything else will fall into place

Johnny Flynn was a great Highschool Prospect and I long for the days where we grabbed commits who’d rather (god knows what) than lose a game of pickup or even a possession.

Dior’s the best prospect we’ve landed since Dion Waiter, and I hope he ends up a better highschool player inarguably than Flynn because that’ll bode very well for us

People forget, but Brandon Triche and Jonny Flynn played a legendary HS game in the states against each other.

Assuming Dior & Zion both stay at Oak Hill for the next 2 years (hardly a given), then you DEFINITELY want that pairing at Syracuse -
And I’m sure Sr JGIII would make for a lethal 3 guard rotation with those guys.

Wouldn't Kadari still be here? Is he expected to play 15-20 minutes this year and then just disappear?

At Manley, right?

I thought there was a rematch in Glens Falls besides the regular season game, with each of them going for something like 40+ points.

FarawayWeepyAnemone-max-1mb.gif

Yep, if we get Dior and any one of Zion, Chance, Roddy or JJ it's one heck of a guard class and would be as excited as can be. I even like the Hutchinson's tape/potential. The key, obviously, is keeping Dior, everything else will fall into place

If we get nobody besides Dior, it's a heck of a guard class.

People seem to be really focused on the idea of a shooter to complement Dior... I think a guy who can drive, defend, distribute and shoot is the best kind of player to pair with Dior. Zion could be that guy. Two years of practicing against each other and playing together makes the combination that much more desirable.

If we get nobody besides Dior, it's a heck of a guard class.

People seem to be really focused on the idea of a shooter to complement Dior... I think a guy who can drive, defend, distribute and shoot is the best kind of player to pair with Dior. Zion could be that guy. Two years of practicing against each other and playing together makes the combination that much more desirable.
The 2003 championship had 2 guards who could handle, drive, and score.

first commit for come that simple with these amounts of talents. At the end of the day we land one of these guards we’re still targeting then it’s a huge W.
Fwiw I’d guess Zion wears orange. Too me it makes too much sense with him going to oak hill with Dior along with their great relationship which is consistently documented on social media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom